3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Got My HeaterTreater Doors!!!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:41 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got My HeaterTreater Doors!!!

Picked up the new doors the other day and I must say.....way more impressive looking over what I pulled off the top of my squirrel cage a few weeks ago. Now just need to make time to do the install. Yes I'll be pulling the dash. I just can't see hacking up the bracing and the hvac box to add them. Soon as I do the work I'll let ya'll know how it went.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:47 PM

Where did you get them?
How about part numbers?
Old 06-05-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.heatertreater.net/Ram%2002-08%20Listing.html
here is what i found, didn't even know that something like this was offered, glad the OP posted this up.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:45 AM

fade94 PM sent!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
original thread:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...highlight=hvac

make SURE your doors move FREELY

the controller works on resistance, so if they hang up, it stops moving them there. but, they have enough torque to bend stuff.

make sure you do all 4 doors while you are in there
Old 06-07-2010, 11:56 PM

Yeah I bought all 4 doors. Figure if I'm going that far into it I might as well do it all and do it right .
Old 06-19-2010, 10:36 AM

Finally got around to install the doors. HOLY CATTLE!!!! Quite a job when you have no shade and the whole process is taking place in the driveway . Aside from being relatively straight forward, it is definitely a lot of work. I know the instructions show how mutilate the air box to replace the doors but that's just not my style.

I now have air thats diverted where it needs to be when I turn the **** . Thanks Heater Treater!!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:31 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
jhenson,

Did you have to drain the AC to do the work? How long did the process take?

Mine's been bad (dash heat/cool only, no floor) for a couple of years now.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yes, the AC lines go thru the firewall, and we broke them in the engine compartment. you have to, because the AC coils are inside the plenum, and the whole plenum has to be removed to do all 4 doors.

it's so MUCH work, you better do all 4 doors, or you will hate yourself when you do it the second time.

my mechanic took a partial day to dis assemble, and a partial day to re-assemble. (he did it in two afternoons)

my system is single zone, but the plenum is built for dual zone (the only difference is the mix doors (heat/ac) are separate.
the heater treater doors do not come as separate.

but, now, i have some mild heat on the passenger side when it should be pure AC, it's a always a few degrees hotter on the passenger vents.
passengers say "you need some freon" sometimes.

the driver side is ice cold, 38 degrees by thermometer

any ideas on that?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Raspy, yes the a/c system has to be evacuated should you choose to not destroy the plenum box by cutting it up. I broke the lines loose at the firewall (engine compartment), from the dryer and the cold line. Left the heater hoses attached to the heater core and just removed them from engine lines. Took my time being as careful as I could be and trying to remember where all the friggin screws came from (if you do this procedure you'll know what I'm talking about) as there is literally a big handful of them to remove and replace. All in all it was about 10hrs for me.

I'm just glad to know that now when I have ice on my windshield in the winter time I can turn the **** and have instant defrost, and when my feet are cold I can put some heat on them too. It's not a hard job but it is very involved.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
As far as pulling the dash and HVAC box, yeah it is really time consuming, but I didn't find it that complicated (I didn't do the heater treater doors, and I hope the day doesn't come when I have to tear in to it again).

04ctd: As far as still having some heat on the passenger side, I wonder if the blend doors aren't totally sealing. I bought a manual heater coolant valve, and shutting it off during our 110 degree hot months improves the AC performance notably (I think having coolant flow 100% though the HVAC case gets it warm, even when the blend doors divert air around the heater core).

Might solve your problem, for cheap.

Name:  IMGP1609.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  179.7 KB
Old 06-20-2010, 12:49 PM

I have seen this heater mod here but never just a valve in the heater line. No bad effects from it? Like the diesel getting hot from no circulation of coolant?
Old 06-20-2010, 02:18 PM

Factory the engine comes with a plug there (where the heater hose barb is), and the ISB is used in many applications where there is no cab heater.

No problems at all.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Jeff In TD....what is the difference in your air temp coming out of the vents with the valve open vs closed? Mine is blowing 38* out of the vents without the valve mod. Just curious as to whether or not said valve would cool my air more than it already is .
Old 06-20-2010, 04:47 PM

Haven't taken temp readings, but it is notably colder, especially when the temp gets above 100.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got My HeaterTreater Doors!!!