3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Goodyear DuraTrac’s

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear DuraTrac’s

For anyone interested I thought I’d provide some feedback on my initial experience with GY DuraTrac tires. Since these came out I’ve read many reports about their outstanding winter performance, especially in snow and ice. But I’d also read complaints saying they’re squirmy under 3/4 ton diesels, that they handle horribly, wear poorly, won’t balance etc. It’s because of the negative reports that I never pulled the trigger to buy them sooner. But recently I found 4 new stock-size ‘E’ rated LT265/70r17 duratrac’s on the internet for $500, so I took the gamble. After putting more than 1500 miles on them I couldn’t be happier and can only report positive things.

I’ve experienced no tread squirm or poor road handling characteristics. They balanced easily, run true, and are very quiet for the aggressive tread they have – a lot quieter than my Toyo MTs. And in snow and ice, these are the best tire I’ve ever had. I have a place in the Sierra’s with a very steep driveway; when the blacktop gets that layer of stuck-on ice I’ve never been able to get out without 4wd. But these tires do it in 2wd no problem. Since buying my truck new I’ve run BFG T/As, Michelin AT2s, and lately well sipped Toyo MTs (in 295/70r17). Of all these tires the duratrac’s are the absolute best in snow and ice.

At this point I don’t even care if they get noisier or wear prematurely… it’s about safety. I cross the Sierra's (I-80 Donner Pass) every week and conditions on that road during winter can be extreme and challenging. With these tires I feel I have the best control of the elements I’ve ever had. They handle all conditions at each unique elevation change… mountain rain, heavy wet snow & slush, powder, and ice, which is always the most difficult condition.

So far I’m thinking these tires may be getting a bad rap with regard to complaints I’ve read about them handling poorly. I’d have to assume the tire as designed w/2-ply sidewall, deep tread blocks, soft rubber compound, etc. would be prone to squirmy handling and poor wear if you don’t get it sized correctly to the vehicle and wheels you have. People often try to put too big a tire on too small a rim. Add to that, they go with a ‘C’ or ‘D’ rated tire on a ¾ ton truck. Too much sidewall will result in flex and that movement reacts and intensifies with a deep tread block design. Duratrac’s are somewhere between an AT on steroids and an MT tire that will handle extreme cold and snow conditions too. For people looking for an all-around tire that really excels in winter I'd suggest looking at these.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm absolutely sold on Toyos but do wish they'd release some M-55's in a 285-75-17. Those were some of the best tires I've ever had.

Those Duratracs have a fine tread pattern. Glad they're working for you.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
on my first set of 35x12.5x17 toyo open country extreme at 2 after running bfg at/ko's- the toyo's are an impressive tire. wearing very well and are American made.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
American made?Are you sure? I love the toyo open country at. Had a set on my 2nd gen. Clearly remember thinking they were made in the USA, then seeing made in china stamped right into the sidewall where all the specs are.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
My Toyo MT's are USA made.
The new AT'2's appear to be made here also.
That'll be my next tire.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm one that had a horrible experience with the Duratracs. I had a larger size and they wore horribly and sounded like Buckshot mudders after about 20k miles. The first 5k miles they skated all over the road. I'm sure size played a part in it but they were the worst tires I've had on the truck except for the traction. They were great in that regard. To each their own...
Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I plan on getting the toyo ats' when these Kumhos' wear out. I only got the Kumho because I wanted to see how the truck looked with mud tires. Kinda silly. But they aren't bad.
I wonder if the new style at is made here at home and the mts also? I'nm curious. When I got my last set of ats, I was bs'n with the guy mounting them & mentioned they were made domestically. He said they weren't, so we looked at the tire. and sure enough, they weres tamped made in china. I felt kind of like a dork.
I hope they are being made here now, I'll feel alot better about buying them if they are.
Thanks, Kerry
Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by leonesm
I'm one that had a horrible experience with the Duratracs. I had a larger size and they wore horribly and sounded like Buckshot mudders after about 20k miles. The first 5k miles they skated all over the road. I'm sure size played a part in it but they were the worst tires I've had on the truck except for the traction. They were great in that regard. To each their own...
I hear you… comparing these to my Toyo’s I can see where the Duratrac’s may not be forgiving if you’re running larger oversized tires, or loaded heavy. The Toyo’s are 3-ply sideway, definitely more robust, and probably overdesigned – and they have a bunch more rolling resistance too. But for a tire to perform in snow and ice they need to be more elastic and softer rubber. I am surprised about the noise issue you had with yours. They are one of the few aggressive tread tires meeting the stringent EU noise standard. I’m just passing alone my experience with them.

From the goodyear site;
Goodyear’s proprietary TractiveGroove TechnologyTM provides the Wrangler DuraTrac with enhanced traction in deep mud and snow while the new tire’s combination of highly angled center tread blocks and zig-zag microgrooves offers enhanced lateral stability and traction in rain and snow, all while reducing road noise. In fact, Wrangler DuraTrac tires have earned the right to bear the European Commission Noise Symbol right on the sidewall, which indicates they meet stringent European standards for pass-by noise.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:34 AM

I have the DuraTracs in E load rating 265/70/17 and have had great luck with them. i only run them for the winter (Oct-April) and have not had any issues in 5 years. Tread wear is great and traction is awesome. I think the issues with them were in the larger sizes. I have not seen any complains from people with the 265/70/17's. Just my 2 cents. I have towed our 5th wheel with them on hunting trips with no issues. All I can say is 4 Lo dragging a 5'er in the snow down a logging road ....these tires grip.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 AM

We just put a set of "E" rated 265/75-16 DuraTracs on the wifes '01 and at max inflate (80) they are squirmy without the stock trailer hooked up. Deflated to about 60psi and they are awesome. Will see how they wear but at this point I'm impressed.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by lcmedic
We just put a set of "E" rated 265/75-16 DuraTracs on the wifes '01 and at max inflate (80) they are squirmy without the stock trailer hooked up. Deflated to about 60psi and they are awesome. Will see how they wear but at this point I'm impressed.
I run my 265/70/17 at 65-68 with no trailer and they perform nicely. I seem to get the best contact patch at 65-68.....when at 80 you can see the outer 1 to 2 inches it not contacting the road on my rears when empty (Center 80% of the tread is a different shade of black then the outer edge). I only air up to 80 if i have the trailer hooked up.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:39 PM

Keep in mind, just because an ‘E’ rated tire can be inflated to 80 PSI doesn’t mean you’d want to do that. The tire is designed to allow you to carry heavy loads. As designed you’d pressure up when you’re loaded – then air down when you’re empty. In reality we all find a middle point that fits personal need or preference and pressure is left there. But if you look inside your door at the manufactures recommended inflation, it’s nowhere near what most of us run. Truth is, overinflating may save a little at the pump, but it will probably cost more in terms of premature tire wear and accelerated wear on suspension components. There’s also a safety factor because overinflated tires will compromise handling performance. I've been running my dyratrac's at 65f/50r unloaded.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Al Ex
I've been running my dyratrac's at 65f/50r unloaded.
I put a set of duratracks on my 08 just before Christmas, stayed with the stock 235/80/17 "E", Still fishing around for the sweet spot on the rear, but at this time of year most of the driving it does is empty so I'm at 65 in the front and down to 45 in the rear to get an acceptable contact patch, may go lower but I will have another look at it when I have my stock trailer hooked up this week.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:51 AM

My buddy has these on his jeep. Today just cruising down the road the sidewall just blows out on one of the front tires and he about wrecked.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They won't be quieter than your Toyo MT's once they wear down. Just like every other mud tire out there, they start out quiet and you think "Wow this is the quietest mudder I've ever heard!"
Then 20,000mi later they howl just like the rest.
I had a set when I commuted I 70 in Western CO (like hitting Donner every day). They were great.
Now have a set of siped (inside blocks only) Toyo MT's that are great on snow and ice as well as the deeper stuff.
Kinda like the OP I by whatever i find a deal on. Latest set of tires are the 295 Toyo MT's. Cant beat $800 for a brand new set of 33" mudders!