3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Door certification label

Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door certification label

This isn't an emergency so I apologize if this is the wrong place. I bought a 2008 2500 in January 2010 and didn't catch that the certification label on the drivers door was missing. The truck had 97,000 miles and I was happy to get it for 20K. 6spd and exhaust brake and all. I am now at 129,000 ad happy with the truck.

So here is the issue, this past January (2012)I was renewing my drivers liscense and found a H & J endorsement that I need for my 5er. H for the weight of the 5er @ 11K and J to tow a utility trailer behind for a side by side. Anyway I passed the written tests and scheduled a road test. When I went to the road test the DMV would not continue because the certification label was missing. They said the dealer could help and would be the only ones to get a new label. I've been dealing with the local Dodge dealership and Ram Customer Care since January 17, 2012 and it is one run around after another. Unbelievable I am concerned that I will run over the year to get the label. The certification label I need is the one on the drivers door with the date of manufacture, front and rear axcle capacities and CGVWR.

Does anyone out there have experience getting a new certification label outside the manufacturer? I am at a loss. The only alternative I have found on the web is a reprint of an existing label for collision repair shops.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Talked to a body shop friend and he said that the Dealer would be able to print your build sheet per VIN which should include axle ratings, etc.

As far as reprint of sticker, every person I spoke with said you can try contacting MOPAR, but they've never been successful themselves.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was told you can not get one. The build sheet is a good idea.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 PM

The DMV says they will not accept anything but the certification label for what the vehicle can tow. Frustrating to say the least. I did get a little movement when the manufacturer produced a new dash vin tag in error. They said that is what was ordered from the factory. I have no idea how they screwed that up.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would wonder why it's gone. Was the truck wrecked and repaired?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-2-3
I would wonder why it's gone. Was the truck wrecked and repaired?
It must have been.

When I talked to my body shop friend, he said they've never replaced the sticker when it was destroyed.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:15 PM

It wasn't wrecked.

Given the history (service records from western TX and Louisiana) and mileage (97,000 miles in 2 years) it was used as a fleet truck in Texas and was filthy when I picked it up. I pressure washed so much mud off of it I had to shovel it and wheelbarrow it from my driveway. The truck was definitely road hard but not wrecked. I think the previous owner pealed off to avoid being verified over weight. Or maybe they too pressure washed the dog **** out of it and blew it off.

I vaguely remember the label being there but not perfectly laminated when I test drove it. At the time I wasn't going to buy it. A week later, new tires and new steering knuckles and the price got a lot better that made it a good deal. I completely forgot everything about a label.

So there is the problem and history. I just need an avenue to get a new label. Any ideas?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:32 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Surely Mopar (or Ram) can do something for you......they supplied it, why can't they replace it?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Is it on the door or door post? Is the VIN number on it? Can one be had from a salvage yard?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Originally Posted by 1-2-3
Is it on the door or door post? Is the VIN number on it? Can one be had from a salvage yard?
Doubtful a salvage yard will be of any help. The stickers are VIN specific and list the the paint, engine, trans, and tire codes on them.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:42 PM

Some dumb *** back into the side of my truck when I was parked on a city street. The drivers door had to be replaced. I had the body shop cut out the section of the old door with the data sticker on it and I put in the glove box. The only way someone would know the door is not original is the missing sticker.

Would not surprise me if that door has been replaced with an aftermarket one.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 PM

The certification label is VIN specific. No help from a salvage yard. I did find a place online that could reprint the label from a photo for accident repair businesses. That is out as I do not have the original to take a picture of.

The door has not been replaced. Like I said earlier, I vaguely remember the sticker loosely in place during test drive. The spot where the sticker should be looks just like the sticker was there and some adhesive remains.

I am in constant contact with the local dealer and Ram Customer Service but I do not have results. I have 2 separate customer complaint numbers. Since this is going into the tenth month I need the label by any means necessary. I will pay for it if I have to do that.

Thanks for all the replies and reading the thread.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

I realize you might have to drive a little bit, but can you try another Dodge dealer? Also make certain to mention by name the dealer that didn't help you and the new dealer might get the job done just to show them up.

Next idea, do you have copies of prior registration from LA, TX or Nevada (I'm assuming is your current state)?

Last but not least, have you considered contacting your local state representative and Governor? Sometimes an inquiry by those two offices on behalf of a constituent can go a long way. I've done it before when dealing with a state department and I got very quick results. If you have not tried that yet, keep it in mind. I've been there in your shoes where you're the little guy and the powers that be are content to bounce you around. Use any resource you can in this case despite what you may feel personally about politics or politicians. It's what they're in office for, to help citizens. Use them.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:53 PM

I think Towbin is the only Dodge dealership in Las Vegas. I've also been dealing with Ram customer Care. I thought about local media but not the elected officials. I appreciate the ideas. As soon as I get a new label I'll let everyone know.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:05 PM

I went thru the same thing in 2007 with my truck.It was in an accident and drivers door was replaced.I had autobody shop cut the cert label with the sheet metal it's attached to off so I could save it.I was working for a Dodge dealer at the time ,they also owned the body shop it was repaired at and I had the owner of the dealership call Chrysler and He was told NO go on a replacement sticker,as it is printed at the factory when the truck is built and it cannot be reprinted.So I still have no cert label on the door.I ran into an issue having smog test done as testing place needed to verify info and there is no label.I keep it in the truck just in case.Another place tested it with out it he just scanned the old 1 I keep in the truck.I don't know what I would do if I ever was to try and trade it in Dealer may not want it .Good luck.Keep us posted on what You find out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door certification label