3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Electric driver seat vs manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 07:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Electric driver seat vs manual

Exploring my repair options including cheapest/fastest fix.I know there are kits with metal gears to repair the electric versions.

* Does the driver seat itself have the same mounting configuration between electric & manual frames to allow a simple swap? (I read in another seat related post that '06-'09 has the same floor mount configuration. But it didn't say if the seat-to-frame pattern carried over from '03-'05.)

* What is the set vertical position of manual seats compared to the range of electric seats? My up/down gears stripped out and it's in the lowest position. I was considering simply replacing the frames with a manual version hoping that manual frames are about in the middle.

* Any other pitfalls that may come into play with the conversion?

2004.5 SLT with grey cloth seats.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:19 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Can't answer your question, sorry. Am curious why you cannot just replace the damaged parts? Not that long ago when I was digging for parts I happened to notice a site that sold motors and gearboxes (or whatever those things are called) for different seats. Can't remember which site it was. Maybe Rock Auto?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:29 AM

If I could simply swap to a manual seat frame, I could take my time to repair/replace the gear in the original frame. But if the manual frame would have enough height and comfort, I could just leave it that way. I've seen the gear kits, possibly on ebay, and there may be some Youtube videos on the repair process. But there are unexpected occasions that I need the truck and don't want to be caught in the middle of the fix.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:46 AM

I bought the motors aftermarket (generic ones) for $15 each shipped and replaced them both from here: https://www.sciplus.com/car-seat-12v...-motor-49248-p
** I'm pretty sure those are the same ones, but I can check at home later and confirm.**
There was a thread on here about it and on another forum. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.
They work great and have all metal gears/shaft. The only modifications required were shortening the shaft, replace two of the roll pins with bolts/nuts and I had to re-wire the connectors to fit the new motors (different plug end, just used crimp on connectors). It was really easy, cheap and they work great.
The following users liked this post:
Locomotion (02-15-2019)