3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2003 Dodge Trailer Signal/Flashers

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Dodge Trailer Signal/Flashers

I have a problem with the right rear trailer flasher/signal circuit. I had blown a couple fuses towing my trailer a few months back, but never got around to digging into the problem. Anyway, after getting out the tester I have found that I get voltage on the Right trailer flasher when the light is not connected. As soon as I hookup the light I get zero voltage. This has me a little stumped. Do I have a problem with the flasher unit? Where can I get a wiring diagram for this truck as I don't know where the flasher unit is. Its a quad cab, and obviously a diesel. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:03 AM

I had a problem with my trailer lights, one side in particular and I ended up having to put a new fuse box on the truck to fix the problem. There is some kind of built in trailer light module and when it goes you have to replace the whole thing. Very big PITA. hope this is not your problem but it really sounds like it. Do some searching for trailer lights not working on one side and you should find some posts. If you have any trouble PM me and I will point you in the right direction. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check truck wiring first. It almost sounds like it could be a bad ground on the one side. Either make yourself a tester (with a 12v bulb & wires) or buy a plug that you plug into the truck lights to show what is working (ex stop, LT,RT). Putting a real load works better for me than a volt meter IMO. If that is good get a 12v supply and check the trailer wiring. I just hope it isn't one of those intermittant (sp) problems . This summer I kept popping my running light fuses but not on the truck (luckly). Tryed everything I could think of. I figured the vibration of the road was obviously moving something. Wiggled everything and decieded to just cut wire to the little light that shines on my license plate.......problem solved. Trailers really shake sometimes, had a few problems with the bulbs and their holders.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have discovered the problem, fixed it, and everything is working fine. I read some other posts and most of the time bad wiring was to blame, usually wiring that was added after market. This got me thinking about the splices I had to do when I put on the 7 pin RV connector. Good thing I made a wiring diagram when I installed it. Made it quick to locate the correct wire. Turns out the connector I used to splice into the truck on the Right trailer turn signal had come loose. Explains why I blew the fuse a couple times and got voltage on the tester but nothing when there was a real load (light).