3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

didnt disconnect battery, electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 10:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
didnt disconnect battery, electrical issues

Well, I know this seems to be a very amateur mistake, and it certainly is. We had an exhaust leak on an 06 pickup and went about putting in new gaskets. While we were there we went ahead and ordered the delete pipes for the exhaust because we’d wanted a straight pipe for a while. We got the manifold and turbo out and replaced the pipes on the exhaust system and went to put the manifold and turbo back in. We got it situated in there and had it bolted on with two bolts and started to put the others in. My brother was torquing them down and the ratchet, well the extension and socket, came in contact with the alternator and the exhaust manifold. Now, as the title says, the batteries were still connected. I know this isn’t a safe practice but we’ve gotten in a bad habit of not undoing them. Anyhow, the socket stuck to the alternator about welded it on. I jumped off and grabbed the closest thing I could find and wacked the thing off but not before the passenger side battery sparked real bad and the wire from the alternator to the battery snapped off. It had gotten to hot. Not sure what the wire is called. I figured we would have a bigger issue on our hands than just that wire and I was correct. We finished up the manifold and put the downpipe elbow back on and fixed that wire. Cranked the pickup, which started fine, but the cluster lit up with ABS light and the parking brake light as well as the engine light (engine light was on before and after this predicament we put the code reader on, all codes were the same as they were before the work was done). We went to drive it and the speedometer doesn’t work. It sounds good though haha. But in all seriousness I would like to resolve this issue as soon as I can. I’m not electrical savvy by all means but I can try my best. Checked all the fuses in the fuse box and all were good. Went to the store and grabbed new 4 gauge wire and made a new cable. Put it on, still didn’t fix it. Speedo is still gone and the lights on the cluster are still lit up. Please feel free to offer help.
Thanks

Old 07-11-2019, 06:53 PM

Bump. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:12 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
I don't have much to add...You said you checked all fuses, but did you check them with a test light?...If codes came back after clearing them, what were they?...Sorry I'm not much help on this......Ben
Old 07-11-2019, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla
I don't have much to add...You said you checked all fuses, but did you check them with a test light?...If codes came back after clearing them, what were they?...Sorry I'm not much help on this......Ben
I checked them with the volt meter set on the sound setting where it beeps when it detects a full circuit. I’m not at home to look at the codes again but I think they came back. I’m stumped on this. I’ve read a bit about a certain fuse labeled spare, number 30 I believe, is actually for the abs system. The thread said that if the abs system is altered that the speedo will be affected too. I just don’t know where the problem is. Thanks for your response. I’d really like to get the thing up and going again.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texasfirstgen
I checked them with the volt meter set on the sound setting where it beeps when it detects a full circuit. I’m not at home to look at the codes again but I think they came back. I’m stumped on this. I’ve read a bit about a certain fuse labeled spare, number 30 I believe, is actually for the abs system. The thread said that if the abs system is altered that the speedo will be affected too. I just don’t know where the problem is. Thanks for your response. I’d really like to get the thing up and going again.
I'm just guessing here but I'd get a schematic and start chasing wires. In my limited experience, I'd guess the entire cluster is bad or something in the ECM got fried.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by GearGut
I'm just guessing here but I'd get a schematic and start chasing wires. In my limited experience, I'd guess the entire cluster is bad or something in the ECM got fried.
Alright. I’ll have to check on Sunday. Do you know where I can find a diagram or schematic? I don’t have an fsm. Any other ideas?
Old 07-12-2019, 10:39 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Google is your friend.

Post #4.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.***...a.html%3famp=1
Old 07-12-2019, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Thank you sir

it’s not letting me look at the website at the moment so I’m downloading the app. I won’t be able to check on the pickup till Sunday afternoon though. I’ll try and look at the wiring tomorrow. Thanks for you help and I’ll definitely update y’all as to what’s going on
Old 07-14-2019, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Originally Posted by GearGut
Originally Posted by Fordzilla
Alright. Had a lot less time to check than as planned. Are there any fuses/ fusible links between the alternator and the ecm? Do they even use fusible links on these trucks? Got that fsm downloaded and looked for a while. Not sure where the part I’m looking for is. I looked in 8w a lot and the speed control section of it. Still don’t know what I’m looking for. One thing I did notice, though, was that the temperature gauge in the upper console showed 103 degrees at about 10 o’clock and I know for sure it was under 80. In fact forecast showed 77. Not sure if this is a clue towards ecm or not. Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Leaving for the week and won’t be able to check again till next weekend.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:55 PM

Well we've just been driving it without a speedometer since then, hate to leave a thread open-ended but we haven't fixed it yet. Its my brothers pickup and we replaced the speedo sensor but that didn't do anything, not that I thought it would. Still trying but we've still got nothing. Thinking ECM though.