3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Did Smarty killed my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did Smarty killed my truck?

Got a Smarty the other day and loaded SW #3 and made a 400 mile round trip Sunday. I was impressed with the power but was concerned with the amount of “pinging and rattle”. I switch back to stock last night and made a 110 round trip this morning with no issues. When arrived and parked the truck and walked to the back, I noticed that there was excessive amount of soot dust on the ground. I don’t know what caused it as I’ve never seen it before the Smarty and even with it on SW #3. An hour after arriving from my 110 trip I started the truck to go somewhere. It stated like it usually do but shut down after about 3 seconds. I did this several time with the same result…it shuts down after about 3 seconds. If feels like just someone turns the key off. I’m thinking maybe dirty fuel or clogged fuel filter?

Questions:
1. Did the Smarty possibly killed the truck (ECM)?
2. Any idea what could possibly be wrong with it?
3. If I take it to the dealer, do you think they will identify that a performance module was loaded (Smarty)?
4. Will they say something about my S&B CAI and CFM intake horn? Should I install the OEM intake and manifold?

Thanks all.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, the SMARTY will make some soot.
Sounds like you have a issue with the SKIM key for the sentry system.

MikeyB
Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you hurt Smarty's feelings by taking it back to stock!

"Hell hath no fury like a SW scorned..."
Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 PM

What exactly is the problem?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Yep, the SMARTY will make some soot.
Sounds like you have a issue with the SKIM key for the sentry system.

MikeyB

There must be a poltergeist living in my truck. After I got back from Costco and opened the drain **** to check for water (none were found). Just for kicks and giggles I jumped into the truck to give it a try again and guess what? It started (like always) and kept on running? I was scratching my head of what happened. I’m beginning to think that MikeB is correct that it something to do with the sentry system. But I used the same key and it ran. What do you all think I should do? Should I see if it will do it again and contact the dealer if it does?

I’m just happy the truck is running again. Thanks all for your help.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 AM

Keep your spare key with you.....
Old 10-11-2007, 06:14 AM

You drain fuel filter and jumped in and it ran normal , the first thing I would do is change the fuel filter . I know you said you got no water , but sometimes a draining will let a little dirt move off the filter and let the fuel back threw . The most common problem on diesel engines is fuel filter and it is usually a very good place to start .
Old 10-11-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by PRO-NRA
There must be a poltergeist living in my truck. After I got back from Costco and opened the drain **** to check for water (none were found). Just for kicks and giggles I jumped into the truck to give it a try again and guess what? It started (like always) and kept on running? I was scratching my head of what happened. I’m beginning to think that MikeB is correct that it something to do with the sentry system. But I used the same key and it ran. What do you all think I should do? Should I see if it will do it again and contact the dealer if it does?

I’m just happy the truck is running again. Thanks all for your help.
Do you happen to have an aftermarket alarm that unlocks the doors. I have had this issue when locking the doors with the keyfob and unlocking with my alarm remote, it would start and turn off.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you cycle the key 3 times and see if you got any codes?

When I first got my Smarty I went to SW2 with mild TM. I didnt like the smoke and went back to stock within about 50 miles.

Mine started right up after I went back to stock and died within a couple seconds. I tried again and it fired right up and threw the check engine light.

I cycled the key 3 times and got the code for "VIN not in ECM". I cleared it with the Smarty and everything was fine ever since.

I did change to the aftermarket injector/stock TM program and am currently running on SW1.

I've not had any other problems and check codes religiously now. But the thought of this happening again is always in the back of my mind!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:32 PM

the first time i started my truck after loading the smarty software it ran for about 3 seconds and died, i fired it right back up and it has been fine every since. it sound like this is what is happening.

is this common?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:49 PM

I don't have any other alarm on it other than what came with the truck. I have not changed the fuel filter since new and it has almost 10K miles on it now. I do have a Fleetguard FS19856 on order from Cummins (should be here tomorow). I don't know what happened why the truck did not want to go to Costco with me that afternoon. I was so mad that a $53K+ truck will not run more than 30 seconds so I ended up driving my Bettle TDI. Hey it has something in common with out CTD, it has a Bosch pump although a very small one. Anyway I loaded up new sofware on the Smarty (aftermarket injector and stock turbo). I like this software since it does not have the ping and rattle making my timid 3rd gen CTD sounding like a real diesel. I like the quiteness of my engine. I further quieted the engine by painting the oil pan with noise damper and covering the oil pan and the valve cover with ATP thermal/accustic mat. Man the Cummins sounds like a Lexus now...very quiet.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by PRO-NRA
I further quieted the engine by painting the oil pan with noise damper and covering the oil pan and the valve cover with ATP thermal/accustic mat. Man the Cummins sounds like a Lexus now...very quiet.
The best way i have found to get the truck good and quiet is to go down to the muffler shop and have them cut off the cat and muffler!!!!give that a try its realy quiet trust me you need to try it