3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Death Wobble on stock truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 02:06 PM
c5r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Wobble on stock truck

My 03 3500 4x4 Quadcab is pure stock. I have had some controll issues on the old right turn at freeway speeds with a rough road. I was at 35960 on the ODO so I took it in to be fixed. The first dodge dealer says no problem found and sends me home. The second dodge dealer puts a nw track bar and new Rough country Steering stabilizzer on. Thinking I am now in good shape - I drive home - coming around a right hand turn - boom almost lost the truck - it was 100 worse then before - felt like riding over rumble strips and having the front end hop. It didnt stop until the truck was stoppped. I check all the tires and lugs and all werr tight, I drove home and called the dealer. The dealr took the truck back replaced wheel bearings and tie rod ends, which I guess were all out of tolerance. I pickup the truck and on the way home on the interstate on a straight section of road I hit a bump and bang same thing truck front end is hopping steerring is bouncing side to side, its doesnt stop until truck is stopped. Its now back at the dealler again - I wonder what next.

1) Anyone had this happen on a straight road?
2) I am worried about a 36k miled truck have all these front end issues - we are about to buy a 30ft Travel trailer and I would hate to think of this happening while pulling a trailer?
Old 03-20-2005, 02:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It is nice to see your dealer is really working with you to get your problem fixed. I have had the DW 3 different times, twice on the sweeping right turns and once in a straight line. I attributed mine to mods, but as we are starting to see, this issue cannot be blamed on mods alone. Have they checked balljoints? According to my alignment guy, all 4 of mine have excessive play. I have not yet gotten them repaired. Please let us know how this ends. What you described is exactly what I have experienced and it sure ain't fun.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:08 AM

Check the condition of ball joints, track bar/bolts, shock, steering stabilizer, and make sure the truck has 5 or more degreees of caster.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You note that you have 'AT tires' so is it a stock truck or not ? Almost everyone with speed wobble problems has either load range D and/or larger than stock tires.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a minor case of the wobble once with my truck right after I first got it. I was running about 85 down a farm to market road in northern Texas and went across a spot that had a small spot where the road was pushing out and it started but stopped right away when I hit the brakes. Haven't had it since and have tried with no avail to reproduce. Just crossin my fingers to hope it was a one time deal
Old 03-23-2005, 06:15 PM

Changed out ball joints,steering stabalizer,wheel alignments - trying to find the cause of the death wobble on my truck - finally changed the front shocks - one shock had failed - put new shocks on - no more problem.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:13 PM

HAVE DEATH WOBBLE 4 TIMES NOW ON STOCK TRUCK ALL ON STRAIGHT ROADS HID A BIG BUMP WITH DRIVERS SIDE TIRE AND LOOK OUT , WHENI GET IT FIXED WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS , OH AND BLEW LIFT PUMP OTHER DAY WHOOPI!!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:27 PM
c5r

Truck still at the dealer - week 3. The dealer can reproduce at will, has changed out. weel bearings, spindles, ball joints, Track bar, steering stabilier, Shocks, Tire rod ends, and next is the Upper and lower control arms. They had someone from chrysler out today, but no solution yet.

The truck is bone stock with all original equipment.

MY bigest fear is that they fixed this and it comes back in another 36k miles.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:48 AM

My brother had a old Dodge Dart convertible. That had it's own death wobble. After replacing all the front end components with no improvement, it ended up being the steering box that solved the problem.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:06 PM
c5r

Just got the truck back from dealer - they ended up putting aftermarket parts on to fix the problem. Seems to be working good. I was a little hestitant about the after market control arms but They apperar stronger and chrysler bumped my bmper to bumper warranty up to 70K miles. So Despite it taking nearly 5 weeks and very happy with the solution. Although I have only driben it 40 miles the proff will be after several hundered miles.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:22 PM

I had until today BFG 315's and it would wobble so bad some times, caster alignment only helped a bit. I t would really do it bad one spot on the hwy by my house same place everytime. Today I had a set of Pirelli Scorpions Load range E put on and drove over that spot, smooth as glass, U-turned and did it again just to make sure, So I have to say tire problem for me, but not all trucks with 315's have a problem
Old 05-04-2005, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by c5r
Just got the truck back from dealer - they ended up putting aftermarket parts on to fix the problem. Seems to be working good. I was a little hestitant about the after market control arms but They apperar stronger and chrysler bumped my bmper to bumper warranty up to 70K miles. So Despite it taking nearly 5 weeks and very happy with the solution. Although I have only driben it 40 miles the proff will be after several hundered miles.

Congrats on getting the truck fixed...so far. It sounds like you found a great dealer. The extension on your warranty is a good deal too; Good luck, Mike
Old 05-04-2005, 11:42 AM

we had an old 92 3/4 ctd and it had what i would call a stomping fit. turns out to have been mud caked in the rotor vents... you would think the doors were going to fly off it seemed to hop from one side to the other looked like a crazed lowrider.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:56 PM
c5r

Finnally got the truck out on a get long run... It felt a little weird this morning like it wanted to start the death wobble, but the dealer has had the truck so long I couldnt remember if it always did that. Well on the way home from work boom...1, 2. the a 4rd time. Although not as severe. The wobble was the same except I only had to slow to 40 to get it to stop instead of having to stop the whoe vehicle... I guess back to the dealer - I dont know whats next.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by c5r
I dont know whats next.
Lemon Law buy-back?
Drive the C-5?

Good luck, Mike

Quick Reply: Death Wobble on stock truck