Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Daytime running lights on 2006 Ram 2500 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/daytime-running-lights-2006-ram-2500-a-328706/)

DennisATX 08-19-2017 06:07 AM

Daytime running lights on 2006 Ram 2500

I just moved to Canada and my truck needs to have daytime running lights. I took it in to the local dealer and the said they tried turning them on but "found TIPM does not support function". Then I come on here and all the information seems to suggest that it definitely can be done. So what gives? Is the internet lying? Is my local dealer filled with know-it-all dummys? Or do I have the 1 POS truck that just can't be done?

Desert5600 08-19-2017 03:40 PM

Can you just turn on the headlights?

Desert5600 08-19-2017 03:45 PM

I found this:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-models-82543/

DennisATX 08-19-2017 04:16 PM

The lights must come on automatically without manually turning them on. I did come across a few older threads on the subject, but I think the scanning tools have changed since then.

Originally Posted by Desert5600 (Post 3333140)

Mexstan 08-19-2017 04:38 PM

Do that Canadian laws dictate that the DRL must be incorporated into the headlights? If not, why can't you go to Canadian Tire or similar and buy a couple of small LED's and mount them somewhere on the front of the truck or even inside the grill? Connect them via a relay to any wire that is hot when the ignition switch is in the ON position.

Simple eh?

DennisATX 08-19-2017 04:46 PM

I'm sure I could do a lot of things, but my preferred method would be a factory setting. Mainly because if ever I wanted the lights off while the truck is running, a simple click on the emergency brake and they're off. Plus I don't want to start adding a bunch of stuff ($$$) I don't don't need.

Originally Posted by Mexstan (Post 3333145)
Do that Canadian laws dictate that the DRL must be incorporated into the headlights? If not, why can't you go to Canadian Tire or similar and buy a couple of small LED's and mount them somewhere on the front of the truck or even inside the grill? Connect them via a relay to any wire that is hot when the ignition switch is in the ON position.

Simple eh?

Desert5600 08-19-2017 05:10 PM

So what does Canada DOT say about Dodge not being able to actuate DRL?

Mexstan 08-19-2017 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Desert5600 (Post 3333150)
So what does Canada DOT say about Dodge not being able to actuate DRL?

My guess is that they will have nothing to say. If his truck was not specifically built for the Canadian market, then why would it be necessary to add the DRL option if the truck was destined for a country that does not have the DRL requirement?

A couple of small LED's and a relay is not $$$, but at most $$ and maybe even only $. Add a hidden switch to turn them off when you do not want them on.

FMB 08-20-2017 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by DennisATX (Post 3333106)
I just moved to Canada and my truck needs to have daytime running lights. I took it in to the local dealer and the said they tried turning them on but "found TIPM does not support function".

OK, Dennis, this may not be the best option for the long run, but may work for you if your FCM is like what I had on my '03. If you drive the truck with your headlights on, then park it and turn the ignition off, the FCM would automatically turn the headlights off after 5 minutes. So, you could keep your headlight switch in the 'on' position forever. When you start the truck, the headlights are on. When you park the truck and shut it down, the lights would turn off in 5 min. Again not the best solution (even if it works on your '06), but might keep you from getting a ticket until you find something different, eh.
Back to morning brew . . . [coffee]

DennisATX 08-22-2017 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I finally got it figured out. For anyone else in the same situation, be persistent. I found another dealer about an hour away that said they were pretty **** sure they could do it. Brought it in, the tech hooked up the new computer (witech) and it said the vehicle could not have the DRLs turned on. He went back to the toolbox and pulled out the older scan tool (starscan). Within 10 minutes he had them working just as they should. It would have taken even less time if the touch screen on the tool was working properly. So there you have it... one dealer says no way, can't be done and another one tries a couple different things and gets it done.

Desert5600 08-22-2017 09:54 AM

Beauty, eh!?

shep1 02-03-2018 01:45 PM

Should be able to turn on the high idle function also, if it's a diesel. I had mine done. Just need a tech that knows what to do.