3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

CTD vs. Toyota Tundra Tug-of-War?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robmints
What not to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQcJ...elated&search=

Let him spin and you pull, not the other way around.
jackasses. just converting more unsuspecting and easily fooled american buyers.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:31 PM

My smart butt neighbor said the same thing of his Tundra and my truck..."I've got 380hp he says.... wha wha wha I say.... needless to say, he was getting great gas mileage cause I pulling him all over the place

I've done alot of tug O wars. If you want to do it safely with a manual and not worry about that moment you let of the clutch. Apply the parking brake, 4 hi ( no need for lo w/ a Tundra), use 1st.... when he starts to pull, easily let off the clutch, once engaged, release the brake and ease into the fuel, you will not spin the tires. I have only lost once, and that was to another Dodge brother who had a dually like mine same HP (600), but he had about 5" on me and I think he lifted my rear tires cause he was so tall. I beat him the 2nd time he beat me on the third.

Tundra 1/2 tonners have no chance, you outweigh him, you have more HP, Torque, and not to mention your truck looks and sounds better
Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 PM

When you pull him across the parking lot, and once the smoke settles get out and say, " **** looks like I'm the biggest toad in the puddle now, where was all that gravy, and uh the apples were good thanks" and just drive away....
Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 PM

A video like this will have a million + hits on YouTube!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:37 PM

pull his *** across town then lets see the video

05 2500 ctd airaid intake, 5" tbe magnaflow, cfm intake manifold, 6" tuff country lift 22 inch ultra rims 37 13.50 kuhmo mt
Old 10-12-2007, 10:40 PM

99% of the Youtube video's I have seen are what not to do. Like a few others have said traction and weight are most important. Truckpulling is big around some of the small towns around here. I know of some people that have went as far as beaking down the spare time and filling it up with lead weights so it weighs about 300lbs, hiding all kinds of heavy things in toolboxes also a friend that works at a machine shop machined his lift blocks out of tungston so they weigh about 80lbs each there deffinatly sneeky around here. Just don't break traction and you should be able to pull him anywhere.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Charge him an extra $500.00 for not pulling him until his tires blow.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, make sure you have a full tank of fuel all the extra weight helps.

Edited to add: I wanna see the video .
Old 10-12-2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by RobG
Wow... Sacramento... that's only three hours from me. I oughta go watch!!!!

Given Sac, odds are very good the Toy is 4wd. It takes a major idiot to buy a 2wd truck or SUV in NorCal, given trips to Tahoe or over Donner Summit.

Rob
Originally Posted by 6.7L OneTon
It's 401 tq, 381 hp as mentioned above...with a 4.30 rear. I was actually looking at them before I drove a cummins. The test drive with the Tundra was less than impressive. It looks good on paper though. What kind of surface are you doing this on? I'd think that much like a human tug of war, the side that loses traction first will lose. Think about that if you're doing it in dirt or gravel...the cummins torque could be your enemy.
Sorry guys/gals for the late repost regarding this showdown. Thanks everyone for the overwhelming responses and suggestions.

A good buddy of mine (that unfortunately knows this punk since we live within a few blocks from each other) owns a stock 04 D-max 2500. I took off work today to do several practice tugs with his D-max and prepped my truck for Sunday afternoon showdown with Mr. Toyota. I wanted to get my footwork rehearsed so I will not stall (since I owned the truck from brand new I never stalled it on take off). It took a while to get use to the heel and toe method but I’m a pro at it now. I did not want to go all out with his D-max and I did not want to burn my clutch or break his Ally.

Now the good news and bad news. The good news is my buddy has been egging this punk on about the showdown and convinced him to raised the stake to $1,500 (the $500 is my buddy bet and $1,000 from me, this punk don’t know this though). I went to B of A today and got the $1,000. That bad news is he wants the best of three tugs. I agreed and my buddy now is holding all the money.

My concern now is the heath of my clutch for more than two runs should we go one each on the first two runs. It seems like the consensus is to go low and slow so I will start in 4L 1st and SW #3 on Mr. Smarty. For what its worth I have the new software (Smt4V410CD208B36.7z Smarty S-06A Ver. 4.10C, Data: 2.08B Mild torque management increase) Man at this speed I can walk backwards faster.

I have a stock suspension so our hitches are about the same height. I have the standard hitch receiver and a regular 2” ball hitch I use to tow my 14’ fiberglass boat so I don’t know what the rating is for the standard receiver for the 3500 SRW. Where do I hook up the chain (laden with many heavy blankets) to the receiver or the ball hitch?

What kind of torque does his Toy gasser have? I calculated that with my Smarty I got him beat by at least 200lbs…what do you think? I have not done any dyno on mine but what do you guys estimate my HP and TQ #s are by my signature?

I will be picking up 50-60 bags of top soil Saturday from Home Depot to do my yard so I’ll just leave that on the truck for additional weight till after the showdown Sunday. Do you think the weight will hurt me since I will be approaching 10,000lbs or more? Having said this, I can’t realy deflate my tires like I wanted to for additional traction.

My son will be back in town Sunday morning with a digital video and still cameras to document hopefully his defeat and my victory. I told him he will be here or else? He is an expert on posting videos on the net.

Did I forget anything?

J.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:27 PM

you don't need that much weight,if any.but it's not gonna hurt anything as long as you practice with it.I gross as much as 38,000 and go 18,500 empty and run the crap out of it on a regular basis.take video or we will hunt u down!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Banned

just come onto the clutch to take the slack out of the drivetrain, revs about 1500, when they saw go, just get off the clutch and let the motor torque down the road. DO NOT RIDE THE CLUTCH. and you will be $1500 richer and read about all of us laughing our butts off monday.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't worry about hp and tq numbers. Don't worry about special takeoffs. You should be able to just dump the clutch when you start. Honestly you should be able to do it without any throttle. Your tires will spin long before your clutch in anything below 4th gear low range. Start in low range 1st or 2nd gear, preferably 1st. You will not have to give it throttle. Once you get him moving, you can if you want because by then he will be spinning and you will be moving him. Figure out which is higher. Your hitch insert flipped upside down will usually give you extra height. Your bumper ball will probably about the same height as the flipped reciever but will be closer to your axle which will pull better. If you really wanted to make it easy, put some kind of a limiting stop on on your bumps stops. This will really lift his rear end when he takes off and your suspension/body will not drop. Being solid like this puts that much more force on your rear tires and adds that much more traction. Good luck and give him a tour of the town.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 PM

Reguardless of his mouth try not to kill his little Toy,kids will be kids.

Ran into a few of the toy and Sissy owners at a camp site few weeks ago,few shot the mouth off about there trucks can pull this and that I would just smile and ask what there MPG was pulling thoses big campers was,they got kinda quite after that,then would ask if a suitcase would fit in the bed if they tryed real hard.

My buddy has an older model Toy and was always ruuning his mouth about it can do this and that and mine would not,his biggest one was on mountain trails if would fit were I could not anyway one night he tryed going up a narrow trail I followed when a small tree got in my way I pushed it over got out to look at it and looked at him and said "theres another tree see if your Toy can do that" never said another word about my truck.

Pav
Old 10-13-2007, 06:26 AM
Banned

i think you should try to make the snot nosed little kid cry...put a real good embarassment on him. i wish those bow'd up toyota owners would play with me

brett
Old 10-13-2007, 08:48 AM

SERIOUSLY? WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT????? It's a 1/2 ton gas truck weighing 2K lighter than your truck. It's not a F450? You sound as if you pulling against two Toyos. You don't need any extra weight, you don't need to heal toe the brake and throttle... like I said, use the parking break.... there is no burning your clutch. IF you pulled the cheby, you'll rip the bumper off the Toyota. I'm trying to get the video from my neighbors girlfriend but he's so embarrassed he won't let her give it to me.

Why don't you make it fair, stop adding additional weight, remove 1 of your wheels and disable 3 cylinders, then he may have a chance.

Quick Reply: CTD vs. Toyota Tundra Tug-of-War?