3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cost to repaint sunfade roof/hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost to repaint sunfade roof/hood

My roof and hood are starting to show really large patches of sun faded paint and I've decided to keep this truck a while longer and make her look purtee.

I'm inclined to go with a small local shop with good references vs a chain and don't really want to get a bunch of quotes... so I was wondering what a fair price for just prep and paint on those two panels should be? I'm toying with having the whole truck done but all the other body panels have typical 15 years of dents scratches and dings and I'm guessing the prep on all that to make it worth repainting would add up fast? I don' need a 15 year old truck to look like new or like a restored classic - it's just those big faded patches that are getting on my nerves.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:18 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
I can promise you won't like patched paint...It will never match the rest, and will look really shoddy...Do it all, or don't do anything......Ben
Old 12-04-2019, 05:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree with Fordzilla. It's a matter of taste, but maybe you could find some sort of blackout treatment or stripes (in paint or vinyl) that work for you. Might not look too bad with your color.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:03 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Plan a vacation down to my area and have the job done here. My local hole-in-the-wall body shop does fantastic work using top quality German paints. You can even choose what quality of clear coat you want applied. Compared to the states, their prices are super cheap.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla
I can promise you won't like patched paint...It will never match the rest, and will look really shoddy...Do it all, or don't do anything......Ben
I've had two accidents where I just had the damaged body panel repaired and painted and I cannot tell any difference there. I would have agreed with you if I had not seen a shop match paint so well.

To be clear, I intend to have them prep and paint the entire hood and the entire roof. Both panels have nice clear places to mask off form adjacent panels and should come out OK. I'm still wondering about what I should expect to pay for the basic prep/paint of a couple panels. Now that I mention it, maybe I still have the invoices from the insurance paid work to check. (and thanks for the invite to Mexico - I'll actually be there next week... but not driving it).
Old 12-07-2019, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its likely the faded paint will require removal sanding it off to the bare metal, then phosphate metal prep, mask, primer seal, paint, & then clear coat. approx $1,250.00 to $1,600.00? Paint/body is crazy expensive-

Good luck & lets use know if/when you get a shop quote....
Old 12-18-2019, 12:11 PM

This is on my new year to do list. When I get a quote I'll let you know and if I get it done I'll post pics.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was getting this and it is just the clear coat. (Mine at least) I did some youtube searching and found several videos on how to repair the clear coat. It does not look "Professional" but it is way better than new paint. I have a 1998 ranger that I did the roof also. I will say that I got the good clear coat in an aerosol can but would would recommend a real spray gun and clear coat from a paint store. I know i will have to re-do mine and I will do it this way next time.