3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Clearance lights leaking rain water

Old 01-12-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clearance lights leaking rain water

We're finally getting some rain here in SoCal. I'm taking on water via the clearance/running/cab lights and it's dripping off the visor mounts. Can I buy the gaskets/seals and replace or will I have to replace the lights too? If so, I would like to get the clear ones with yellow bulbs or maybe LEDs if they have them. I think the blue ones are cool looking but probably illegal to use. Suggestions?
Old 01-12-2017, 04:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't believe they sell the gasket separately, so you may have to replace the entire light or make your own gasket. You might have leaks around the screw heads as well, not just at the base of the light. You can touch up the screw heads with some silicone to seal those areas.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I sprayed the top of the roof with wd40 then ran a bead of clear silicone on the bottom of the light lens. Then put a dab in each screw hole in the lens before putting the screws back in. Worked like a charm for me
Old 01-13-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by saggonwaggon91
I sprayed the top of the roof with wd40 then ran a bead of clear silicone on the bottom of the light lens. Then put a dab in each screw hole in the lens before putting the screws back in. Worked like a charm for me
why spray the wd40 on the roof???
Old 01-13-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
So the silicone dont stick to the roof and makes removing the lenses easier if bulb replacement is needed. Its like making a permenant gasket on one side, the wd40 lets the silicone conform to the painted surface and seal without sticking to it. Used to do the same thing on the combines with the elevator clean out doors, made it like a nice reuseable gasket.
The following users liked this post:
DragonSlayer (02-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by saggonwaggon91
So the silicone dont stick to the roof and makes removing the lenses easier if bulb replacement is needed. Its like making a permenant gasket on one side, the wd40 lets the silicone conform to the painted surface and seal without sticking to it. Used to do the same thing on the combines with the elevator clean out doors, made it like a nice reuseable gasket.
that sounds like something i should know !!! thanks!!
very useful
Old 01-14-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine had a hairline crack in it, so I replaced them with aftermarket.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All my gaskets under the screws were cracked and brittle so I replaced them with faucet o-rings. Worked perfectly.

Danco 35774W O-Ring 1/8 " Id. X 1/4 " Od. X 1/16 " Wall Nitrile Butadiene Rubber Polybag
Amazon Amazon

Those are the ones I used.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:10 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The last time I looked, it was cheaper to order the entire kit from dodge... I think I paid around 150 for everything... new lights, wires, covers...
Old 07-19-2021, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not necessarily a roof leak.

2017 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Diesel. There was water dripping from the roof lining openings and the grab handles and I had the dealer replace the lights but it didn't stop the leak. I found the "Water Doctor" in Raleigh NC who advised me that it may not be the clearance lights that are leaking. It appears that the leak can be anywhere in the cab, the moisture vaporizes during the heat of the day and then condenses overnight in the roof space above the headlining. There it builds up until it starts to drip or worse as was my case with water coming down over me and the instrument panel whilst driving and particularly when cornering. There are two pressure vents on the back of the cab behind the seat which are intended to let air out when the doors are closed. They are poorly designed and do not seal well. Rain runs down the back of the cab and finds it's way inside, wetting the carpet under the seat. Check there for dampness. Dodge redesigned those vents to fit better and I bought a couple from the dealer at a cost of $12 each. However, the challenge is in the fitting. I have a crew cab so the entire back seat has to come out. This needs a heavy duty ratchet and socket because there isn't much space to swing a rigid bar to remove the seat and seat belt mounting bolts which have been loctited in at the factory. The seat is very heavy too of course. The vents are placed from the outside and there is barely any room between the bed and the cab to position them. Some folks have done the entire job from inside the cab but I ran a paracord from the inside so I could hoist the new vents into place and not risk deforming them by trying to work them through the openings from the inside. Once they were fitted securely, I ran a dehumidifier in the cab for several days until it stopped pulling water. Problem solved. Hope this helps.