Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Changes from year to year (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/changes-year-year-302369/)

horsinaround 04-14-2012 02:36 PM

Changes from year to year

I am thinking about selling my 03 and getting a newer dually for more towing capacity. I tow a pretty big trailer often.
What are the changes from year to year in the body. I am looking specifically for when/what models have a bigger back seat. Is it offered in a dually?

I am sure there is a post here that summarizes the changes and options, but ? can't find it... can someone help?

Is it worth getthing the 6.7? My 5.9 24V. has been fantastic. Somehow I think that I have to go pretty new to get a big back seat... I think that means the 6.7 and associated emisions stuff.

RamGazer 04-14-2012 02:53 PM

I had no luck w/ the 6.7 and the mpg's were killing my wallet. 8mpg in the city. I'd stick with a 5.9 24v as better mpg's, no EGR to mess with (you would want to a delete). Sorry I can't give you more info but I know others will chime in.

Shorts 04-14-2012 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by RamGazer (Post 3097422)
I had no luck w/ the 6.7 and the mpg's were killing my wallet. 8mpg in the city. I'd stick with a 5.9 24v as better mpg's, no EGR to mess with (you would want to a delete). Sorry I can't give you more info but I know others will chime in.

Actually your post is exactly what I was thinking. I have no experience behind the wheel of a 6.7L except for a test drive. Lately I have been spending time on the 6.7L forums. The deletes look to be required to have mpg on par with the 5.9L.

A 5.9 will cost you a bit less to buy. I know the 6.7L is touted for bigger muscle than the 5.9 but the 5.9 ain't no slouch.

If you're looking for room, look for a Mega. They started in '06. Megas only come in short bed from the factory. If you need a long bed you'll need to do an aftermarket conversion. I think the cost of that is around $5k-$6k.

If you stay with a 5.9L, I would look for an '06-07.5 5.9L. You can still find them young enough that you can enjoy the early mileage life and wear it in like you want. I think that you might take a slight hit in the MPG department though. Seems like '03s have a better mpg across the board of the 3rd gen trucks. In '06 is when the truck's front end got a little face lift from 03-05 styling. The interior got a slight change. The '06 5.9 is rated at 325hp/610ftlbs.

Hope this helps.

RamGazer 04-14-2012 06:33 PM

I know a co-worker who had the dwr flatbad w/ the 5.9 12v and he got a lot higher mpg than I'll ever see. B.T.W. his was all stock w/ over 700,000 miles on it.

Shorts 04-14-2012 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by RamGazer (Post 3097493)
I know a co-worker who had the dwr flatbad w/ the 5.9 12v and he got a lot higher mpg than I'll ever see. B.T.W. his was all stock w/ over 700,000 miles on it.

Yeah, 12v are hard to beat for mpg. I was speaking of the 5.9 in regards to the 3rd gen CR applications.