Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   can you run aluminum wheels in a dual setup(face to face) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/can-you-run-aluminum-wheels-dual-setup-face-face-157399/)

DixieMfg 06-26-2007 10:53 PM

can you run aluminum wheels in a dual setup(face to face)

i just ordered some 19.5" Eagle Alloys to put on my '06, but the tech info on the wheel website said not to run 2 aluminum face to face on the rear, i got a really good deal on the wheels (my friend is a dealer), so i went ahead and bought 6, it would be cheaper than buying 2 steel inners from Rickson, accuride also lists a direct bolt on 19.5 steel, but the hub bore is too small, let me know if its alright to run these aluminums face to face (they're polished on both sides), thanks...

dbossdiesel 06-27-2007 01:46 AM

[coffee] Its funny you say that they tell you not to run aluminums face to face. I've been around trucks my whole life and I've been driving tractor trailer for 13 years and all my aluminums (8 in the rear) are face to face. It is a vertual no, no[nonono] to run steel and aluminum together! Steel rush and aluminum corrodes to two don't mix! If the pilot hole is to small on the aluminum, bring it to a machine shop and have it turned out a bit! Good luck!

GEN_X 06-27-2007 07:53 AM

When you get these mounted. Please post pics. I was told the Eagle 19.5's wouldn't work on the dodges. I had to get the 17's.

POWHATAN RAM 06-27-2007 08:21 AM

The only problem you may run into is stud length due to the thickness of the aluminum wheels.

DixieMfg 06-29-2007 10:22 PM

the Eagle website has a dodge wheel part number specifically, we'll see when they get here, worst case is i'd have to get the centers bored out, not a big deal...should be here in 4 weeks, national backorder....best thing is $180 per wheel and polished on both sides...if they're crappy i'm not out a whole lot of cash

JetCity 07-02-2007 01:12 AM

I am running a set of TAW 10 hole 19.5 turbines (alloy) with steel inners and TAW supplies a special "plastic" looking shim to protect the polished finish

JuzPlaneKrazy 07-02-2007 10:22 AM

Dissimilar metals is the problem, the plastic shim is a cathodic protection gasket of sorts. My buddy was telling me the same thing about his Monaco motorhome, they won't put the two together without a plastic shim, and they won't run two aluminum rims together either, he has a aluminum outer and a steel inner.

Haulin_in_Dixie 07-02-2007 01:32 PM

Probably with an aluminum wheel on the inside the hub center will not reach the outer wheel. Other than that, why not? 19.5 tires in the 225 size are the same diameter as a michelin rib tire. Run them on my trailer. The 3640 rating is stronger than the g614 3750 rating. I overload mine every day.