3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

A/c

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/c

2003 ram 2500 5.9 HO
A/C will not vacumm down but will hold 200 psi nitrogen without dropping pressure. It acts like it has a big leak but holds that much pressure.
Any help please thanks Brian
Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Does the vacuum pump work? Do you have both sides of the gauge manifold open and are the hoses attached to the truck properly and opening the valves. Does it draw down at all, if not it's probably one of those 3 things I mentioned.

If it draws down some then you do have a leak. A system can take a very long time to bleed off pressure through a pin hole yet put a vacuum on the system and it will show right away.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first thing I check is the vacuum pump and manifold. Sure enough, my pump has a leak. After 30+ yrs. it still looks like new, inside, but the shaft seal is cracked. It would only pull 1300 µ's. Even a tiny leak that will barely make soap bubbles will keep you from getting below ~ 1200 µ's.Try pumping down your hose/manifold by itself and see if it holds. I've given up on any of the color coded hoses. They are good for about 1 yr and they start to leak. I only use the black HD hoses anymore. Craig
Old 02-10-2013, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for yall's help. I have tried 2 vacumm pumps and 3 sets of gauges, one set of gauges were bad. I'll keep trying to find the leak.