3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

brighter headlight bulbs ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger
For best light you need what is called color rendering. The best way to get this is with a yellow blend in the light. Ever look at stock factory headlights coming at you? They have a yellow tint to them. White light is not as good. HIDs are the best but they do not seem to work as aftermarket products. So I just drive slower at night and put up with the stockers.
Yeah, I know... White/Blue bulbs actually remove light using filters and coatings to make it look white/blue. The solux bulbs mentioned above are still on the yellow side but they replicate daylight which our eyes are used to. I researched and bought them at headlights123 but I also researched the technology here: http://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistor...omparison.html. I really love them...especially the high-beams.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 PM

jeff618...it's been a few months since you posted about SOLUX bulbs. Are you still happy with them? Any regrets? Have either burned out yet? Are they maintaining their brightness?

I looked on the website you posted and they listed a 9004 and a 9007 bulb. Which did you buy, and why?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:39 PM

I'm using the PIAA Extreme Whites, they are whiter and brighter, but only last me about 6 months. At $80 a pair PIAA has lost my vote!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:42 PM

I've been using the PHILLIPS NIGHTGUIDE lamps for a while now.

Even with stock wiring and housings it is superior for contrast differences.

I've done plenty of backroad highways driving at night with these.

DODGE headlamps are still lousy, but these are better than the OEM and other Phillips type used before.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:25 PM

The best improvement so far for me was to actually lower the headlight beams. If you park out in a dark place and turn your lights up/down you will see that the hi beam is actually way too high. So I set the lights out for about 100yds and they are good (not great) and better than factory settings. Also I tirned the fogs down a bit all 6 months ago and only 1 headlight flash since even with the flatdeck trailer on the back.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:07 PM

The Daniel Stern site has a set of guidelines and how to set up to properly measure things out. It's a good finishing touch. Then, just count off the turns of the screw to change up/down for loads.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 AM

Thumbs up solux automotive bulb review

Originally Posted by Idaho Guy
jeff618...it's been a few months since you posted about SOLUX bulbs. Are you still happy with them? Any regrets? Have either burned out yet? Are they maintaining their brightness?

I looked on the website you posted and they listed a 9004 and a 9007 bulb. Which did you buy, and why?
I actually got a 9008/H13 (direct replacement upgrade) which they don't have listed currently - something about a packaging changeover so they pulled it off the site for several weeks. Just email them.

I'll state that I'm a very realistic guy so these solux bulbs are not miracle workers. I'm also not a flashy guy - I don't care about impressing other guys with odd-colored, blinding light. I just wanted more light and better light. I like the color of the light - they say its "natural daylight" and I'd agree that's true - they're whiter than standard lamps but not obnoxious white/blue. They say they're 80% brighter...so just under twice as brite...and I'd agree with that. The headlight beams are very controlled by vehicle design nowadays so its hard to judge - I just know that the lines pop off the road much better and that the lines are brighter farther out. Also the cut-off line across the top of the beam is much more distinct indicating more brightness. They say they have the best contrast and I'd agree - execellent contrast and easy on the eyes when driving. As far as durability and burn, I actually think they got brighter and whiter over the first couple of weeks...maybe there's a burn-in time or something? But since then, no issues, no burn-outs...all 8 bulbs are working fine with no noticable dropoff (I got them for my Mazda 3 low beams, high beams and fogs also). So...so far, so good!!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by jeff618
I actually got a 9008/H13 (direct replacement upgrade) which they don't have listed currently - something about a packaging changeover so they pulled it off the site for several weeks. Just email them.

I'll state that I'm a very realistic guy so these solux bulbs are not miracle workers. I'm also not a flashy guy - I don't care about impressing other guys with odd-colored, blinding light. I just wanted more light and better light. I like the color of the light - they say its "natural daylight" and I'd agree that's true - they're whiter than standard lamps but not obnoxious white/blue. They say they're 80% brighter...so just under twice as brite...and I'd agree with that. The headlight beams are very controlled by vehicle design nowadays so its hard to judge - I just know that the lines pop off the road much better and that the lines are brighter farther out. Also the cut-off line across the top of the beam is much more distinct indicating more brightness. They say they have the best contrast and I'd agree - execellent contrast and easy on the eyes when driving. As far as durability and burn, I actually think they got brighter and whiter over the first couple of weeks...maybe there's a burn-in time or something? But since then, no issues, no burn-outs...all 8 bulbs are working fine with no noticable dropoff (I got them for my Mazda 3 low beams, high beams and fogs also). So...so far, so good!!
The solux 9008/h13 are listed again on headlights123 fyi - punch in your year, make, model and if it takes a 9008 the solux is now also showing.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:19 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by Idaho Guy

UPDATE: I believe I installed the 8 SOLUX May 2011...so its been 21 months. Lost one bulb at 9 months and lost one at 15 months but the other 6 are still going strong with minimal drop-off. I'm still extremely happy with the SOLUX from headlights123, especially when I think back to the nightmares I had with Silverstar Ultras. BTW, also got the neoform wipers from them and they're awesome too.