3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Brakes cooked and melted down. Now what?

Old 05-14-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes cooked and melted down. Now what?

I just did the water pump, which lasted all of 30 or 40K, yesterday. Finished up that today after burping it.

So then I take the truck for a drive, and was thinking about how pulling the little utility trailer home was really working the truck. It is very windy here today.

Get home, smell brakes. All 4 are HOT enough that you can feel it just by getting within a couple of feet of the truck. Driver's rear looks like it's frozen and dragging. That rotor is cracked. All of the others look like they've been overheated, but it's hard to tell if they're cracked without taking it apart - which I haven't had time to do yet. The front passenger wheel center cap is blue now. I dared not touch it.

Is it possible that one dragging caliper heated the fluid enough to put pressure on the other 3 calipers and make them drag too? I'm disgusted with this one. It was pulling pretty hard to the right when I hit the brakes close to home. So I'm of course envisioning something wrong in the sytem causing this, or the caliper freezing and cooking all four of my rotors and pads and seals, and wheel bearings......................

I don't even know where to start on this one. One caliper and rotor, if that's the only one cooked, and a full fluid flush? How do I know what's fried and what's not? Do I assume that if it got everything hot enough to turn wheel parts blue on the opposite corner, that I need do all four calipers, rotors, front hubs, rear bearings, fluid, blah blah?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:03 PM

There was an issue with over pressure in the P/S pump reservoir keeping too much pressure on the hydraboost, which in turn would keep enough pressure in the brake lines to make the brake lights stay on. The problem was the vent in the cap. Not sure it is related to what happened, but worth checking. Something was keeping pressure on the brakes. A search on this site will provide a bunch of reading on this subject.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:16 PM

Did you figure out what happened? Did you find the brake cap problem? Im looking. I just had the same thing happen. Mine was rear left, pistons seized, smoke poured out of wheel well at a stop light. No wheel dragging though. pulled over and hammered caliper for a few minutes. Still dragging. Limped it to closest friends house. Pulled wheels off and checked. I ended up replacing the rear calipers and lines between them. Put new fluid in the system and bled the whole system. Checked the front, and regreased the slide pins. No problem since. Mine was dragging pretty good and for some reason made my front wheels hot. Weird. I was just wondering what you did to solve the problem?
Old 05-15-2011, 03:34 PM

Didn't fix it yet. Going to swap out the left rear caliper and flush the fluid. Should probably do all the pads while I'm at it.