3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Brake lights stay on (not what you thinK)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
just for kicks, try tilting the steering wheeh up/down a few times with switch on, see if it goes away, could be chaffed wires in the column.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^Will do.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nascarcamper
Canadian truck has DRL (daylight running lights) this could be a culprit, I think it is controlled by the cluster but there may be a relay under the hood. Other things to look at would be the trailer light connections, 7 way and 4 pin flat somehow back feeding the system (no 3rd light lit). Just my 0.02$ for what it's worth.
DRL are headlights only, nothing to do with brake lights or tail lights.
I'd still try the brake light switch.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Chapter President

Update:

- The cruise does not work
- Tried tilting/moving the column around
- Brake switch continues to work properly
- Disconnecting the brake switch does nothing. The tail brake lights continue to be lit when the ignition is on. This pretty much solidifies that the issue is not related to the brake switch, IMO.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 PM

Probbably in the tipms contol box. Dont know much about it but i have read of guys havin trouble with it. Its basicly an ECM for the lighting circut and its not cheep!! There are ways around it thou.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CTD NUT
.... Also, there is no trailer circuit on my truck that has ignition on only power.......
If you have a trailer brake and tow a 5ver, you have constant power to the plug for the trailer charge circuit. I would pull the fuse for the trailer in the PDC.

????
Old 09-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
If you have a trailer brake and tow a 5ver, you have constant power to the plug for the trailer charge circuit. I would pull the fuse for the trailer in the PDC.

????
Yes, correct - constant power. Not ignition on power at the trailer plug. This would imply that if there was a problem with a constant power feed, there would be constant problem - not ignition on only. As stated earlier, I pulled every single fuse in the PDC one at a time to locate the problem. The left and right tail light feed fuses and an internal circuit ignition fuse were the only fuses that killed the power.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Chapter President

Had to drive the truck this morning...drove for 1/2 hour and the freaking brake lights went off by themselves?!? They now function properly with the ignition on?? Hopefully, they stay that way!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:18 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
We had a similar issue with our Jeep Patriot. Headlights defaulted to on, but no blinkers, no wipers, only way to shut off the headlights was to turn the vehicle off.

They rebooted the Computer, problem solved.

I know this is different than your complaint, but my brake lights on my truck will intermittently stay on after I shut off the truck, it only happens when towing or when I'm in Reno. Can't explain it, but I'll start the truck a few times and pull forward then back and it will correct itself. I've tried pulling up on the pedal, smashing it to extreme, nothing.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Have you or anyone done any wiring mods? Maybe added a trailer plug or something? Maybe there's a short there?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:11 PM

bad grounds

My signal lights act up every now and then. I slam the steering column up and down and it goes away. A problem like yours will be nothing more then a bad ground. So make sure your battery terminals are clean, chassis grounds clean and next time this happens, take a jumper cable from the steering column fastener bolts( paint free) to battery ground. A bad ground gives electrical feedback through the next available circuit, which energizes it even though you didn't activate it, and gives the repairer one freaking headache.It will always be a simple time consuming chore to find it.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 PM

Here is my 0.02, my 06 had this problem, it turned out that the brake pedal was sticking on, i bought a 2 dollar spring and zip-tied to the pedal and the steering column, solved my brake lights stayin on.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:18 AM

Solution found to rear brake lights on with ignition.

Here's what I found. The brake light switch has two circuits; one for the third brake light and another for the rear only brake lights. After I initially changed out the switch it happened again only a day later. So after checking everything, I went to the brake light switch, with the ignition on, and slapped it. The brake lights went out. When it happened again, I smacked it again. Same result, lights went out. Clearly a internally hanging up circuit. Cheap switch I guess. I'll try one from the dealer and see if it's fixed for good.
Thanks for everyone's help here.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:35 AM

Break light stays on the dash board1500 Dodge Truck 2006 you wouldn’t believe what made the brake lights stay on went to check to see why it was
Staying I thought it was break fluid reservoir switch found out that when I got my oil changed they used wrong oil .I thought it was break fluid reservoir switch found out that when I get my oil changed they use the wrong oil i couldn’t believe that was causing the brake light fault
Old 06-25-2019, 03:41 PM

I have the same problem and it seems that there is a front control module. But I can't find it. It says its on the left of the steering column. Just found out the Integrated Control Module is mounted on the Fuse box inside the fender. From my checking these fail all the time and cause these problems. Check that out.

Quick Reply: Brake lights stay on (not what you thinK)