3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Foul smellin A/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foul smellin A/C

Anyone experienced a foul smell omitted from the AC when in max AC. Smells like Freon, has some taste to it and a bit of burn to the eyes. Only occurs occasionally, and only in max AC??<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Gary
Old 04-22-2003, 12:38 AM

Re:Foul smellin A/C

does it do it at an idle,or driving?how many miles.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:59 AM

Smell is there while moving, 2300 miles. At first I thought it was just &quot;the new car&quot; smell. But it is not constant and when it comes out it's strong. Really seems like a leak in the system. However, why would it only leak on occasion? AC seems to work fine.<br><br>
Old 04-22-2003, 12:29 PM

R134A according to the MSDS sheets will cause burning of the eyes and will turn into hydrochloric acid when it comes in contact with watervapor, humidity, or moist substances such as the tears in your eyes.<br><br>I think I would be getting that system checked. <br><br>The other smell you could be getting is the engine breather air being introduced into the passenger cabin with the fan on. Been known to happen.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:01 PM

Count me in for the foul smelling AC. It is sort of a musty smell. I am hoping it goes away with use. I spent 2 1/2 hours at the dealer today for the C02 recall which was supposed to take one hour. I am not looking forward to a return trip.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:54 PM

Jonesy<br><br>I am not getting that foul smell of mildew as you describe. I am getting the burning eyes that Hummin describes.<br><br>Truck is going in on THursday morning.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:37 PM
Banned

The foul smell that you get with an a/c system is caused by mould in the system. You can get a spray to kill the mould, or you can crank the heat full hot for a bit with the a/c on and this will kill the mould, or cook it. Evaporators get wet under the dash and promote mould and mildew growth. (can be a metallic smell also) As for the burning eyes I don't know what that would be, I would think unlikely that freon is leaking, as it would leak all the time, and the evap is low pressure, (condenser under the hood is high pressure), max a/c shuts a recirc door (draws inside air only) Could be the new parts degassing or mebbe your choice of aftershave???? Let us know what it is.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:50 PM

I am am aware of the mildew smell associated with air conditioners but I have never had a three month old vehicle that had this smell. Is it possible on this new of a vehicle?
Old 04-22-2003, 03:55 PM
Banned

Mine has the same smell had it from day one. When I was working at F*rd the head honchos told us to tell the customers to run the heat for 5 mins after they use the a/c. : Not hard to tell the only thing those guys did was drive a desk all day...<br>Then they came out with a spray. Put the a/c on Max and fog this junk in. Killed the mould, almost took your eye ***** out too. I kept a couple of cans when I left and twice a year fog the car and the truck. Smell stays away longer that way...
Old 04-22-2003, 10:46 PM

The musty smell that has been mentioned is difficult to get rid of, but it is very EASY to prevent if you do not have it now. If you run on MAX A/C (recirculate mode), just switch to normal A/C (fresh air mode) for about the last five minutes of each trip. This will dry out the plenum in your dash so that there will not be an environment for mold to grow.<br><br>Cheers
Old 04-23-2003, 06:41 AM
Banned

[quote author=Nevada link=board=17;threadid=13858;start=0#130806 date=1051069561]<br>The musty smell that has been mentioned is difficult to get rid of, but it is very EASY to prevent if you do not have it now. If you run on MAX A/C (recirculate mode), just switch to normal A/C (fresh air mode) for about the last five minutes of each trip. This will dry out the plenum in your dash so that there will not be an environment for mold to grow.<br><br>Cheers<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yes and no. In Florida (high humidity) the mould will grow in recirc or fresh air mode. Heat is what is rec'd to kill it. That is why we get that &quot;cold&quot; 32 degrees for a couple of weeks. Just to make sure the heater still works in the vehicles ;D
Old 05-07-2003, 04:04 PM

I have had the that odor as well. On max setting and only occasionally. I too thought that I had a refrigerant leak but the AC continues to function fine.<br><br>Casey
Old 05-07-2003, 10:12 PM

A couple of years ago wifes Grand Cherokee had a foul smell coming from the A/C. Since it was under warranty we took it to the dealer. <br><br>3 hrs later we got a call that the A/C was fixed. As it turned out the A/C asn't the cause, it was what they found in the squirrel cage. Seems as though a pregnant mouse was about to drop her mouselets. She chewed up insulation and built her nest. Being a devoted mother she couldn't leave her little ones while wife was running her usual errands. Since it was summer she expired with her wee ones. A couple of hot days and the little family was quite ripe. This was what the tech found. <br><br>Oh, yea, removing the expired family was not covered by the warranty. Had to pay for 1 1/2 hours labor. :'( Service dept said they have three or four of these cases each year.<br><br>
Old 05-07-2003, 11:08 PM

:'( Buy some FriggiFresh and follow the distructions on the can. No more bad smell. :'(
Old 05-08-2003, 06:24 AM

Go to TJ buy an M80, put it in da squirrel cage, set it off on July 4th to celebrate. no more smell.