Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   blower fan won't work (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/blower-fan-wont-work-258135/)

samboats 11-28-2009 10:16 AM

blower fan won't work

On my '05, the blower fan quit working and stayed that way for several weeks. I checked fuses and everything else I could think of and found nothing wrong. After all that it started working again on its own. I think everything else still worked ok.
What do I need to do or check to try to prevent that from happening again?
Also, is this a common problem for these trucks?
Thanks for any help.

BigDogJeepin 11-28-2009 10:21 AM

Pull i out and see if there are any broken door parts lodges in the blades.

Spooler 11-28-2009 11:21 AM

Yes, it is a common problem. The power for the blower motor comes directly from the ignition switch. YOu need to pull the steering colmn cover off and check for burnt wires at the ignition switch and the connector. Many folks have had this issue and we always see a handful of these in the winter time. If you have no bad connections, replace your ignition switch (just the switch part).

jhenson 11-28-2009 01:09 PM

I have very similar problems as well. Mostly mine quits blowing during the summer when it's freakishly hot.....get to the next location and shut it down and start it back up and low and behold it's working again. I also have the issue of sometimes the hvac modes work and sometimes they don't. Any thoughts on that one?

Roadmedic 11-28-2009 03:51 PM

Just go over and smack it. It usually works too.

Mine died and I did that for several times. After about 2 months of this, I replaced it.

jcmoyer2004 11-28-2009 08:21 PM

hey jhenson, i'm going through the exact same problem with mine. dodge seems to think its the box under the dash that directs the air from either the defrost to the vents. i don't believe it is though, but they told me that the box is 43 dollars but the labor is over 600 imagine that. i guess i'm going to break the ol steering column apart and check that first. if you find anything else out about yours jhenson, would you let me know.

jcmoyer2004 11-28-2009 08:23 PM

hey Spooler, after i check the ignition switch, what other connector are you talking about??

Spooler 11-29-2009 02:32 AM

It's te connector at the switch from what I remember. Just follow the ignition wires.

jhenson 11-29-2009 05:10 AM

I have had intermittent issues with my ignition switch over the years too. If I turn it to accessory you have to wiggle the key around to get the stereo to play and whatever you do don't touch it once it does start playing because once it goes off the whole aggravating process starts all over. I have also noticed that sometimes when I start the truck the stereo won't play either but if you shut it down and start it back up, "poof", it works again. Maybe the hvac issue is contributed to the switch after all. Maybe I'll figure it out .

Spooler 11-29-2009 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by jhenson (Post 2640209)
I have had intermittent issues with my ignition switch over the years too. If I turn it to accessory you have to wiggle the key around to get the stereo to play and whatever you do don't touch it once it does start playing because once it goes off the whole aggravating process starts all over. I have also noticed that sometimes when I start the truck the stereo won't play either but if you shut it down and start it back up, "poof", it works again. Maybe the hvac issue is contributed to the switch after all. Maybe I'll figure it out .

Yeap, it is the ignition switch. Around 70 to 80 bucks at the dealer.