3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Bizzare Electrical...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Bizzare Electrical...

Love the truck; purchased used last summer; now 170K miles. Laramie pkg w/leather heated seats. Starting to have bizarre electrical issues…

Tail lights: couple months ago noticed WATER in the lens (one compartment was completely full of water). Removed the lens and replaced the light-bar and all 6 bulbs. PROBLEM: For no apparent reason, sometimes when I use the turn-signals, the “arrow” lights on the dash behave like they are possessed! Flashing, blinking, sometimes both alternating, sometimes simultaneous. This happens maybe 30% of the time.

Tow-package lights: All lights on trailer worked fine. PROBLEM: Last weekend no “running lights”. Traced this to a blown 20amp fuse in engine compartment. Replace the fuse and all is fine.

Heated seat (driver): Chilly weather (mornings) arriving in South Texas. Tried the heated seat button on dash panel. It works fine after the temperature has risen during midday. PROBLEM: On cold morning, NOTHING. No lights, no butt-heat, nothing. Yet, I can come out to the truck at noon and hit the button and ta-dah…heat works. So, why not in the cold morning? Passenger seat side works fine. When I depress the driver-seat side, 50% of the time, the button blinks, then goes out. When working, both lights come on and stay on.

Heater-***** on panel: PROBLEM: fan **** and ‘air flow direction’ ****... 99% of the time, the ***** don’t light up. They did once that I can recall. No lights.

Rear passenger door lock: PROBLEM: No electronic working. Won’t pop up or pop down. ((thinking there might be a fault in driverdoor actuator))?

Heater: PROBLEM: For some reason, she won’t blow heat unless I force the “hot/cold” levers back and forth several times…sometimes takes 20-25 mins. When “heat” comes on, it’s NICE AND HOT…but until then, simply ambient temp air.

FINALLY: When starting up the truck (first thing in the morning) the instrument panel shows a “squiggly curvy” line symbol until the “red” light goes out. I can then turn off the key, then on again—no squiggly-curvy” line symbol…..what is that symbol?

Appreciate any thoughts!!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:42 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Rear door is most likely broken wire in the loom where the door pivots, common problem.

Blinker issue most likely Multi-function switch (Blinker stalk). Common problem.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
Blinker issue most likely Multi-function switch (Blinker stalk). Common problem.
I noticed the post on replacing the MFS. Reads like you may be correct. Question: could the MFS also be the culprit behind "cold butt" ? ((i.e., seat heaters not working))
Old 12-01-2016, 02:58 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't have heated seats so I can't say for sure, but I know my MFS caused all kinds of demonic possessions. Left blinker when Right engaged, doors lock and unlock while driving, wipers sometimes turned on when using a blinker.
The following users liked this post:
danalex (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
... MFS caused all kinds of demonic possessions. ....
Gotta be same...that's my demon
Old 12-02-2016, 07:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by danalex

FINALLY: When starting up the truck (first thing in the morning) the instrument panel shows a “squiggly curvy” line symbol until the “red” light goes out. I can then turn off the key, then on again—no squiggly-curvy” line symbol…..what is that symbol?

Appreciate any thoughts!!
That sounds like the grid heater symbol. It should come on everytime you turn on the key, stays on a bit longer when its cold.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by saggonwaggon91
That sounds like the grid heater symbol. It should come on everytime you turn on the key, stays on a bit longer when its cold.
Perfect--thanks!