Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Backup lights are flickering! Advice please... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/backup-lights-flickering-advice-please-95519/)

PapaPerk 03-12-2006 11:58 AM

Backup lights are flickering! Advice please...

I've noticed this for awhile. I put my truck in reverse (6 speed manual) and the back up lights flicker. Its like a loose wire or something. Both light flash. I took it to the "dealer" and they said they could find nothing wrong. [verymad] I didn't push the issue cause I was in a hurry. But I think the problem lies with the switch that's at the shifter. At least I think there is a switch at the shifter! :rolleyes: Does anyone know how to access this switch? Any help would be greatly apperciated! Thank you! :)

torquefan 03-12-2006 12:20 PM

I can't remember where it is exactly on a 6 speed. Typically they're on the top cover, facing sideways for access.

nickleinonen 03-12-2006 01:19 PM

the switch is screwed into the side of the transmission. pass side i believe [look for the only electrical connection on the transmission]

sumner 03-12-2006 03:26 PM

mine was doing the same thing. Im thinking the connection got wet or something. It just quit on its own. [eyecrazy]

ftltmp 03-12-2006 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by PapaPerk
I've noticed this for awhile. I put my truck in reverse (6 speed manual) and the back up lights flicker. Its like a loose wire or something. Both light flash. I took it to the "dealer" and they said they could find nothing wrong. [verymad] I didn't push the issue cause I was in a hurry. But I think the problem lies with the switch that's at the shifter. At least I think there is a switch at the shifter! :rolleyes: Does anyone know how to access this switch? Any help would be greatly apperciated! Thank you! :)

Mine is doing the same thing, as long as I have my foot on the accelarater it stays on but when you let off and the transmission backlashes it goes out. If someone finds out the fix let me know.

Hounddog 03-12-2006 06:43 PM

Needs a backup light switch on the trans.Lots have been replaced.

05mxdiesel 03-13-2006 08:54 AM

Just had mine replaced last week after 6 months from when it went out. I don't even notice that I have them since I added 55w fog lights to the rear via a cab mounted switch.

RustyJC 03-13-2006 09:14 AM

The backup light switch is on the passenger side of the transmission facing the rear of the truck. Backup light switch failure is common on the NV5600s and normally starts with intermittent contact (flickering) when in reverse progressing to no function at all. I replaced mine in less than 5 minutes, including the time to gather and put away the tools.

Rusty