3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Audio Suggestions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can run a 500/1 amp. A monoblock amp is still what you would need with two subwoofers; there are two imputs on a monoblock amp. it will just send the same signal to both drivers which is what you want.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:34 PM
D45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever use or heard of Fox Acoustics:

http://69.49.179.251/default.asp
Old 07-05-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by D45
Anyone ever use or heard of Fox Acoustics:

http://69.49.179.251/default.asp
while my sub box was custom formed, fox sub boxes have a great reputation and i know there are some who've posted here who own one. IIRC broncohound has one loaded with 2 JL dub 3's, and he could probably give you some good info on them and what is needed to power them.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:57 PM
D45

Well, I just ordered a receiver........

Clarion's DXZ585USB CD receiver sports the unique SLIDETRAK control that makes it easy to access its full list of features. SLIDETRAK eliminates obtrusive buttons and *****, replacing them with a supremely ergonomic set of toggles located on either side of the display. You can scroll quickly and easily through the receiver's menus, plus you get the added bonus of seeing system info on a bright, dot-matrix display.

Read More
Sonically, the DXZ585USB uses Clarion's most powerful built-in amplifier to reproduce your music with impact and detail. The 24-bit digital-to-analog converter reveals all the excitement and energy your favorite artists put into their recording sessions. A digital equalizer offers twenty-one different EQ curves to complement the speaker setup in your vehicle.

You can use the front-panel USB input for your thumb drives, hard-disk drives or even your iPod®. You'll even find a good old-fashioned auxiliary input for connecting your non-USB music portables. Expand your musical repertoire by adding an optional satellite radio, or get into hands-free cell phone conversations with an optional Bluetooth adapter. Building a killer system? Tap into the 6 channels of 6-volt preamp outputs to connect your high-performance amps.

Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Hands-on Research" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.

Details:
General features:
CD receiver with built-in amplifier (21 watts RMS CEA-2006/53 peak x 4 channels)
plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files)
fold-down, detachable face with 2-line, dot-matrix display
SLIDETRAK control system
remote control

Audio features:
Digital Z-enhancer EQ (2-band semi-parametric EQ and 21 preset tone settings)
selectable high-pass (speaker, preamp outputs) and low-pass (preamp outputs) filters
Sound Restorer feature adds life to compressed music
Magna Bass EX bass boost

Expandability:
built-in iPod control — no adapter necessary
compatible with optional satellite radio, CD changer, Bluetooth adapter
inputs: front USB input, rear auxiliary input
outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (front, rear, sub)
compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)

Other info:
CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
warranty: 2 years
Want more peace of mind? Extended Service Plans Available
Old 07-05-2008, 04:23 PM

Sounds like a nice unit. I haven't had a Clarion deck in years so have no idea as to their quality but it's specs sound good.

I installed a Fox Acoustics enclosure in my father's '05 with 2 JL Audio 10w3v2's (just as chipmonk said). With a 500/1 amp the little w3's sound fantastic. Im sure you've already pulled the specs from Joe Fox's website with regards to tuning and airspace so I will only further comment on their build quality. This is a very well built enclosure. The spacers are cut properly and the enclosure doesn't require any modification to install other than putting the spacers on your seat tracks. I will be putting a foxbox in my '08 when the time comes, no doubt.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:43 PM
D45

Has anyone ever used or or had experience with Power Bass USA products?

www.powerbassusa.com
Old 07-06-2008, 07:56 PM

i would try to buy a kenwood amp and stereo. Kenwoods are fairly good for the price and are better than an sony and jvc which you can run to walmart and buy. I bought a kenwood 1,000 watt amp for $140 and it makes my kicker comps c10's hit hard! my mom has her subs underneath her back seat in here 04 quad cab in a probox and her subs hit nice and hard and clear! i would also buy some 4-way speakers for the doors. my dad put in some 4 ways and is still using the original stereo and they are really clear and sound great.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by D45
Has anyone ever used or or had experience with Power Bass USA products?

www.powerbassusa.com
never heard of the company. if you want to do your system right the first time, go with Focal speakers and JL subs (which will fit nicely in a Fox box).
you can certainly do it cheaper, but this is something that you will more than likely do just once, and cutting corners will leave you a couple of bucks richer, but potentially less than thrilled with the results. having to replace speakers that are blown or not performing up to expectations, will quickly eat up the few dollars that you will have saved...... JMHO.......
Old 07-08-2008, 02:25 PM
D45

Ok guys, now I need to order speakers for the front doors and rear doors.

Is the following info correct:
Front Doors: 6" X 9"
Rear Doors: 6 1/2"

-----------------------------------

For the speaker's surround material, there are basically two options:
1) Foam
2) Rubber

Which should I look at and why?

----------------------------------

For the tweeter type, there are basically three options:
1) Soft Dome
2) Hard Dome
3) Soft Semi-Dome

Which should I look at and why?

--------------------------------

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 PM

i would go with components up front, instead of 6x9's. the Focal 165 kf components i'm using are incredible.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 PM

those are the correct stock sizes. However, i think 6 1/2" components should be considered for the front. even the best set of coaxial speakers won't hold a candle to the cheapest set of component speakers. Dont be intimidated by the drilling of your doorpanels; mounting the tweeter is no big ordeal. Don't mount your crossovers in your doors, either. Mount them near your amplifiers.

as for foam vs. rubber, i prefer rubber. Foam surrounds absorb certain frequencies while rubber surrounds do not absorb any sound and reproduce everything exactly the way the signal was sent to the speaker. if you have distortion anywhere else in your system a rubber surround will amplify it while a foam surround will somewhat dampen it.

regarding tweeter types, a hard dome is generally a titanium dome. these tweeters will be extremely bright (bright=high pitched) with sharp, piercing highs. Soft domes are typically silk dome tweeters and produce a softer, more natural high-end sound reproduction. I am not familiar with any type of semi-dome though it's been a while since i was up on the latest in car audio.

if it were me, i would run a quality 6 1/2" component set in the front with a rubber surrounded woofer and silk dome tweeter. if you are hell bent on putting different speakers in the rear doors (even though they are completely unnecessary when setting up a front-seat sound stage) a good set of coaxials would be fine. For optimum sound quality, the tweeters need to be mounted within 15-18" of the woofer and they should be aimed at nose level and to the center of the middle seat/center console. These can be adjusted while tuning the system so as to ensure the driver receives the optimum imaging.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
i would go with components up front, instead of 6x9's. the Focal 165 kf components i'm using are incredible.
I agree with chipmonk. Focals are the shizny.

I run Focal 6 1/2 components up front, 5 1/4's in the rear doors, powered by a 300/4 JL. Then for the Boom-- twin JL 12w3v3's boxed powered by JL 500/1. With an Alpine head unit. I can turn it up all the way, but it hurts my ears.

Here's a couple of snaps--

Old 07-09-2008, 07:55 AM
D45

Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure the 6x9 and 6.5 sizes were correct before placing an order.........
Old 07-14-2008, 01:45 PM
D45

Well the speakers are purchased:

Front Doors:
Alpine SPR-69C; 6 x 9

Rear Doors:
Alpine SPS-600; 6 1/2

Now, time to find a small amp.........what wattage should I be looking for?

I am pretty sure I would like to power all 4 speakers, so this equates to a 4 channel amp, correct?

SPS-600:
RMS Power Range : 80 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 240 Watts

SPR-69C:
RMS Power Range : 100 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 300 Watts
Old 07-14-2008, 02:53 PM

Any 300 watt by 4 channel amplifier will power those fine.

Quick Reply: Audio Suggestions Needed