3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Anyone Tried Installing A Pusher Fan Over The A/C Condenser?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Tried Installing A Pusher Fan Over The A/C Condenser?

Anyone tried installing a pusher fan over the top of the ac condenser? My A/C is just not as cool as it is going down the road at 50mph. I'm thinking a fan in front of the condenser would help with a/c and lower charge temps on the inter cooler. Seems like a win/win.

Anyone done it?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:12 PM

It has been done before... I have considered it several times just never done it to my own truck. I did do it on a 2006 f150 5.4 with awesome results. It dropped the temp out of the vents at idle by 20 degrees, and it dropped the cruising temp a little too.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM

Based on the information provided in the post below, I ordered the fan this morning. There was also another thread on the aux fan, but I can't find it right now.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ighlight=A%2FC

I think what I'll do instead of using a thermostat, is used a manual switch located on the dash. This way I'll be able turn on & off the fan whenever I choose.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:49 PM

Or you can hook up a relay to power the fan when the compressor in engaged.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:59 PM

I will be using a relay, because the fan will pull 7.5amps & I'd rather not run that through a switch.

My thoughts on having a manual switch in the cab would be to use the fan to cool primairly the ac condensor but also the trans if it started to get hot while loaded, towing or just in stop and go traffic.

Comments on this are welcomed.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:27 PM

I am in the process of installing 2 12" puller fans behind the intercooler. Mine is a manual so I have just over 3 inches of space between the radiator and the intercooler. It is right at 12" from the crossmember to the top of the intercooler. Found a pair of fans at 1500 cfm each on ebay for $80.90 shipped I am gonna try.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd bet that your refrigerant level is low. Can't say freon level anymore. Mine is ice cold when the level is setup just right. You probably have a very small leak in the evap coils. Your probably not low enough for one can but low enough that it just won't quite do what you want it to. I'd bet too that in the mornings, it is cold enough. AND...that your passenger side vents are a little warmer than your drivers side vents.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:23 PM

I know my 07 and 08 both suck at a stop and both were full of freon. Verified by weight. I think some fan clutches just work better than others. Just my opinion.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:16 AM

My A/C definitely works better since installing my 16" pusher fan. I can't say I recall my engine temps going over about 195 degrees since installing it either, even in the heat of summer. I'm still very glad I did this mod...
The real issue here is in mounting it so your hood latch assembly doesn't hit it.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by hyperrcng
I am in the process of installing 2 12" puller fans behind the intercooler. Mine is a manual so I have just over 3 inches of space between the radiator and the intercooler. It is right at 12" from the crossmember to the top of the intercooler. Found a pair of fans at 1500 cfm each on ebay for $80.90 shipped I am gonna try.

Hyperrcng,

I'd be interested in see how you did your set up & in the results. Please keep us updated. Photos would be great.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
My A/C definitely works better since installing my 16" pusher fan. I can't say I recall my engine temps going over about 195 degrees since installing it either, even in the heat of summer. I'm still very glad I did this mod...
The real issue here is in mounting it so your hood latch assembly doesn't hit it.
Dodgezilla,

Is that why your fan is mounted slighty toward the passenger side of the truck?

I was looking @ Spooled's setup. His seems to be more centered. Looking back through the old posts, it looks like you guys have the same fan. I ordered the same fan yesterday & it should be here Friday.

Been focusing on the ac here recently. Forcast for my area is 100* & no rain.....FOREVER!

Things I've done to improve ac performance are:
1: ensure freon level is good.
2: Insulated the dryer & ac lines going to the condensor
3: Tinted windows

Things I will be doing:
1: Aux fan

Still researching the heater core shut off with bypass.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:50 AM

do you guys fans kick on when the ac button is on?

I ask because mine locks on and just roars constantly (ice cold ac too)

usually in most automotive applications, electric fans cannot move as much air as a veh moving down the road at 40-50mph.

read a good article the other day, certain veh types (chev 95 upto and including early duramax) allow air to go around the rad instead of thru it, I think I remember at 60mph, there was only 11mph of air movement thru the rad. this was a combination of no air movement in the engine bay and huge gaps around the rad....

some more food for thought
Old 06-14-2011, 09:23 AM

I couldn't install mine in the middle because the latch was hitting it. I don't know how Spooled made it work like that.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seem to remember somebody notching the fan housing or something to obtain more clearance. Thats probably what Spooled did.

I've had the same fan, relays and a switch sitting at home for the past 6 months, with temps coming up I thought about the fan this weekend and how I need to get it on!

Right now I've just got parts to have the fan controlled by a switch in the cab. I need to order one of the relays that is controlled by the compressor and by radiator temp. Then use the switch as a manual override.

I've also got a power distribution block with key controlled relays under the dash. My manual switch will be fed from one of those circuits so the fan relay will lose power when the key is off so there is no chance of me leaving the fan running.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:02 AM

i just ordered my becool fan and its 2.05 inches thick. Hopefully I have enough clearance on my 6.7 (2007.5)

Quick Reply: Anyone Tried Installing A Pusher Fan Over The A/C Condenser?