3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Any word on Dodge cab & chassis trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any word on Dodge cab & chassis trucks?

Howdy-

Newbie member here. I posted a question in another forum on this site a week ago but it fell between the cracks. Perhaps this forum is where I should have posted.

Has anybody heard any good news/rumors on the availability of Dodge chassis cabs and/or class 4 & 5 trucks?

I'd love to have one and wish that Dodge would provide a platform for flat/dump/stake/etc beds for the working truck crowd.

TIA!

Mark
Old 12-10-2004, 04:42 PM

I wish people knew more, but here is what an insider from DCX told me. Cab and chassis are coming during the 2006 model year. Here is where it gets a bit blurry. This same person told me that only 4500/5500 type trucks were going to be made with no 3500 c/c being made. This could very well be true it has been confirmed that a new "cargo" truck as DC is calling it is going to made at Saltillo. Here is a website where the current Mexican only cab and chassis can be viewed. http://www.daimlerchrysler.com.mx/ I too am waiting for a cab and chassis. More US dealers need to made aware of this truck I showed this to my dealer he went berserk and promptly put in a call to DCX and complained to them.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the post SCOOK6.

I hope that '06 brings some good news. A 4500/5500 would also be great!

When I bought back in '01, I was on the edge of buying a class 4 or 5 truck, but Dodge didn't offer one and brand F required a 4.88 rear which was too steep for me. Ended up with a F350 cab and chassis and it's worked well for me.

One of the main reasons I went with Ford was that back then Dodge only offered a cab/chassis in a reg cab and I wanted a bigger cab (quad cab would have been fine). This just (barely) tipped the balance towards Ford for me.

But I have to admit that I think that it'd take more to convince me to buy Ford next time. My truck with 7.3 PSD has been flawless and runs like a top, and I could be very happy with another one just like it, but with the 7.3 having been replaced with the 6.0, I'm now more likely than ever to consider other options.

No truck is perfect, and there are things that I like and don't like on both the new Fords and Dodges, but if it came down to it, I'd like to give Dodge a try next time. It would be 100% certain if they offered a cab/chassis with a quad cab!

Keeping fingers crossed....

Thanks again.

Mark
Old 12-13-2004, 07:31 PM

The cab and chassis would definitely be the way to go,especially for my use. I tow about 70 to 90k miles per year and the depreciation on the pick-ups is really bad. They are treated as cars.My 03,dodge,ctd,6sp,4x4,slt,srw,in perfect shape with 145,000 miles was only worth 18k for trade in on 05,I'm really not very happy at this point with the 05,fuel mileage is terrible,power seems low and it vibes and roars from 65 to 75 . ,but hopefully it will improve as it breaks in more,i'm at 4,000 miles now.I do think the 48re is improved,the tow haul mode is very useful, but the auto-tranny just dont put the power to the road like the 6spd.,even towing just 7k,the truck feels like its laboring.