3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Alarm/security System

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm/security System

Hey guys - I really want to get some type of security system or alarm for my truck. My main concern is keeping someone from stealing my truck, vs. breaking in to steal something (as I rarely keep valuables in it). From what I've read, it appears that the "Sentry Key" system seems the simplest/best route to go?

Anyway, before I go to the dealer to order it/have it installed, just wanted to see if there were any other options worth considering.

On a side note, the dealer told me before I bought the truck that the key had a chip in it, and the truck could not be started without that key being near the ignition. However, the keys I have are black - and I've heard people say that only the gray keys have the chip. Is that definitely true? I dont know how to test that without having a copy of my key made and seeing if it works. I'm afraid my sales guy was a little dishonest - I'm not going to accuse him of flat out lying, but I think he just didn't know the truck that well.

Thanks for any input!

2005 2500 CTD Auto 4x4
Old 04-19-2005, 09:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, the sales guy WAS dishonest.....they all are.

The grey key is the key that you want. It has the chip in it. NOT the black key.

Instead of paying for the conversion to the grey key (whatever that cost is and if it's even possible) you should consider installing a remote kill switch that will disable the motor from starting or running. Do a couple searches for "kill switch" or "disable" and see what you come up with.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by handymantim
First of all, the sales guy WAS dishonest.....they all are.

The grey key is the key that you want. It has the chip in it. NOT the black key.

Instead of paying for the conversion to the grey key (whatever that cost is and if it's even possible) you should consider installing a remote kill switch that will disable the motor from starting or running. Do a couple searches for "kill switch" or "disable" and see what you come up with.
Thanks for the response. As far as kill switches - my only concern is that I might forget to set it everything I leave the truck. With my luck, the one time I forget it, that'll be the time someone tries to steal it! However, if that option is cheaper enough than the sentry key, Id certainly consider it...

Does anyone think it's worth going after the dishonest dealer for this? Ask for them to install at no charge? Or substantial discount? Letter to the BBB? My girlfriend was with me when we were told it had the security system. So I have a witness! And it wasn't just the sales rep that told me this, the sales MANAGER told me about the security system as well....
Old 04-20-2005, 12:37 AM

Did you just buy the truck? If you did the dealer might talk to you about that but most likly not. How much is it for the gray key and alarm i hear it was around 200.00
Old 04-20-2005, 11:19 AM

Yeah, let us know how much to install.

If you go aftermarket, be careful about how they do their wiring. I have had 2 trucks come in with "serious misfire" complaints that ended up being scotchloks on the engine position sensor wire.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did mine and it was $197.85 installed. I think they charged me like 75 for the install. Yeah, and any after market wiring, good luck. One of the easiest excuses they got for anything electrical going on. That's why I chose the evic system.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:02 PM

I vote for the remote kill switch too. If your like the truck, LOJACK is a good investment! It pays off big! Got my Fiero back in a few hours.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:31 PM

Redneck -

Did you really want the Fiero back?
Old 04-20-2005, 04:58 PM

Just one of those things that makes you go Thats ok my wife dont understand either. I almost like my truck as much as that car!
Old 04-20-2005, 05:09 PM

adamkn,
Get the sentry key installed. It will also give you an interior theft sensor that will sense anything hitting the vehicle or breaking of a window etc, not to mention the vehicle will not start with a normal key nor by being hot wired. The factory part number is 82208985 and they run around $200.00 plus install. Just my .02

TRAVIST
Old 04-20-2005, 05:33 PM

When I was working at the lorain Ford plant they were stealing trucks all most every night some had real fancy alarms and it didn't seem to stop them. On mine I had a simple door alarm with a kill switch and they got the door open a few times and set off the alarm but never got past the kill switch. Alarms go off so much people don't even look any more but a simple kill switch is hard to get buy if you hide it well. I like to put mine through the grill some place you can't see but feel for it. They can still tow it away but I would think it would be hard to do a fast get away in a tow truck.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

Ive called two dealers about the Sentry key system - one quoted me $325 for the part +plus labor, and said Chrysler does NOT recommend adding this system, as various problems have come up (???). Another dealer I called said it couldn't be done at all.

I'll keep looking into it...

For those of you that have gone the kill switch route, any recommendations as to where to get one? Good price? Can I install myself, or will I probably need to have it professionally done?

Thanks!
Adam
Old 04-21-2005, 12:03 PM

Adam the kill switch thing is very easy to do. Just have to know a little about 12volt electronics. It only takes a relay and some wire. Cheap and effective. The wire is yellow and runs down the steering coloum. Can find a diagram for it if your intrested!
Old 04-21-2005, 12:42 PM

An alternative to the kill switch is a security system upgrade by KARR which sells a dealer installed factory alarm upgrade. It looks like it splices into the yellow column wire mentioned earlier and also the factory fob system for unlocking the doors. With it installed you must use the fob to unlock the doors or the truck will not start (won't even crank).

But keep in mind that you must have the factory alarm option for this to work. It modifies and increases the features of the factory alarm system.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by adamkn

Ive called two dealers about the Sentry key system - one quoted me $325 for the part +plus labor, and said Chrysler does NOT recommend adding this system, as various problems have come up (???). Another dealer I called said it couldn't be done at all.

I'll keep looking into it...

Is one of these the same dealer that sold you the truck and said it was already installed? I'd try again elsewhere.

During installation it is critical for the tech to follow the written instructions exactly. If they don't it would cause problems, so maybe their techs can't handle it. I've had mine installed for a month now with no problems.

Quick Reply: Alarm/security System