3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Air Conditioning Recirc Door Issue. (NO BLEND DOORS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mastercaster
the recirc door is the one behind the glovebox. i can see that one working when i look up in there. can it still be in place and have what seems like full motion and still not work? thnaks.
Yep, that was what mine was doing too.

Originally Posted by FMB
It doesn't sound like he dropped the steering column or pull the whole dash.
The dash does not get pulled. Just the glove box and there were some small black under dash pieces that I could see. If he pulled others I did not see them nor could I see what he needed to do under the hood, sorry... not much help.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I apologize.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:10 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by -sean-
If he pulled others I did not see them nor could I see what he needed to do under the hood, sorry... not much help.
Oh, no, quit beating yourself, you were a great help (I think). When I replaced the recirc door last time, the only thing that gets done under the hood was disconnect both batteries.
I'll hit this one in the morning, thanks.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:17 PM

Location: Texan living in the eastern settlement known as Georgia
What are the latest part numbers for the Recirc door repair? I've had the blower out and the door does not fully close. I run with the door closed most of the time. I guess that may be why it lasted over 100k miles.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:48 AM

I had a recirc door problem and the replacement part I ordered came with the entire recirc door housing, recirc door itself, and a new actuator motor. I extracted the new recirc door and tossed the housing in the trash.

If you remove the glovebox and the blower fan, you can pretty easily access the recirc door. If I remember right, you have to remove the actuator motor, then put the door in, then the actuator goes back on while engaging the "pin" on the side of the door.

Overall, very easy to do...took me about a 1/2 hour and I work slow. This new and "improved" part did not look any better than the original design. If you have one of the new door/housing assemblies, it's pretty obvious that it's still a flawed design. In any case, it's been a while now and it's still holding up but I never move it out of the recirc position. It was so easy to fix(and not very expensive) that I don't care if it breaks again, I just hope I never have problems with the blend doors.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 AM
FMB

Originally Posted by ScotS
I extracted the new recirc door and tossed the housing in the trash.

This new and "improved" part did not look any better than the original design.
I hate to break it to you, but the "new and improved" part was the housing, which you tossed in the trash.

Sean, did they replace the door and the housing in an hour or just the door?
Back to the morning brew.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:35 PM

so just to clarify, the recirc door on mine would cause air to blow out the floor vents too?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:50 PM
FMB

Originally Posted by mastercaster
so just to clarify, the recirc door on mine would cause air to blow out the floor vents too?
No! The only purpose of a properly operating Recirc door is to allow your blower to obtain its air either 100% from the cab (recirculating the cab air) or 100% from the outside (Fresh air).

When the door breaks, it does one of two things; either it won't move back and forth to the stops (giving you a mixture of recirculation and fresh) or the most likely scenario, dropping the door off the motor and settling on the fan intake screen. What that does, is stop the blower from recieving air. Without air on the intake side of the blower, you can't get any air on the discharge side of the blower (no air at vents, plenty of blower noise). The stoppage is not 100%, but it is so much, it may as well be 100%.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:38 PM

2003 Dodge Ram - Recirc door?

I am having the same trouble with my truck - the blower blows but only a little air comes out of any of the vents. This doesn't happen all the time though. It comes and goes. Can this be the recirc door if it comes and goes? Sometimes the air works fine, but other times it gets all stopped up. I opened up the dash (took out the glove box and vent covers and part of dash on the passenger side). It seems that unplugging the wires to the control panel of the a/c sometimes corrects the problem for a little while. But, that doesn't always work... Does it sound like the same recirc problem? I like the idea of just taking out the recirc door...
Old 06-08-2008, 05:33 PM
FMB

Originally Posted by speedyvargas
I am having the same trouble with my truck - the blower blows but only a little air comes out of any of the vents. This doesn't happen all the time though. It comes and goes. Can this be the recirc door if it comes and goes? Sometimes the air works fine, but other times it gets all stopped up. I opened up the dash (took out the glove box and vent covers and part of dash on the passenger side). It seems that unplugging the wires to the control panel of the a/c sometimes corrects the problem for a little while. But, that doesn't always work... Does it sound like the same recirc problem? I like the idea of just taking out the recirc door...
Welcome to DTR. Does this happen only when using the Air Conditioner? If so, its freezing up and blocking airflow. Temp fix is to turn off the air for 5 min or so. Permanent fix is to replace the sensor attached inside. That means tearing the dash out, taking the air conditioner all apart.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by FMB
Welcome to DTR. Does this happen only when using the Air Conditioner? If so, its freezing up and blocking airflow. Temp fix is to turn off the air for 5 min or so. Permanent fix is to replace the sensor attached inside. That means tearing the dash out, taking the air conditioner all apart.

Which Sensor?? We are headed to Destin Fl and Ours started acting up today...In Alabama 95 degrees, 2 boys nine months and 8 yrs old and one unhappy momma! The ac would just roar and when I turned it off for a while and back on it has worked since.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-08-2008, 06:12 PM
FMB

Originally Posted by jd03ctd
Which Sensor?? We are headed to Destin Fl and Ours started acting up today...In Alabama 95 degrees, 2 boys nine months and 8 yrs old and one unhappy momma! The ac would just roar and when I turned it off for a while and back on it has worked since.
Thanks,
Jim
Hey Jim, gotta keep the momma happy. Ok, the sensor is the "Fin Sensor" and it is located on a fin (imagin that) on the AC evaporator. If you can imagin something that is burried as deep as possible in the HVAC unit, this is it. Some say, if you are going to dig this deep which includes evacuation the AC system, tearing out the dash, removing the AC 'box' out of the truck, you may as well replace the evaporator, sensor, recirc door assembly, and depending on what year, the top or bottom half of the whole box should be updated.

Wish I had better news . . . , but on the other hand, go to the DTR store or Geno's and buy a Factory Manual. It will take you step by step.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:53 PM

I just pulled the glove department door out and took the fan out and removed the door. It was broke off of i guess at the motor and all i did was just remove it. It blows awesome now!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Banned

MIne broke. Took blower out and shoved the recirculation vent hole full of home type AC filter stuff. reinstalled blower and all has been well for 80,000 miles.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by FMB
Hey Jim, gotta keep the momma happy. Ok, the sensor is the "Fin Sensor" and it is located on a fin (imagin that) on the AC evaporator. If you can imagin something that is burried as deep as possible in the HVAC unit, this is it. Some say, if you are going to dig this deep which includes evacuation the AC system, tearing out the dash, removing the AC 'box' out of the truck, you may as well replace the evaporator, sensor, recirc door assembly, and depending on what year, the top or bottom half of the whole box should be updated.

Wish I had better news . . . , but on the other hand, go to the DTR store or Geno's and buy a Factory Manual. It will take you step by step.
Thanks for the good news... It seems fine for now we just got back from cracker barrel and all was fine. We are pulling our fifth wheel so I hope we can get through the next two weeks in Destin and I can regroup at home.

Thanks for the reply though I appreciate it!! I'll try not to let it get me down while I'm laying on the beach!!

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Recirc Door Issue. (NO BLEND DOORS)