3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Air Conditioning Recirc Door Issue. (NO BLEND DOORS)

Old 06-06-2008, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Air Conditioning Recirc Door Issue. (NO BLEND DOORS)

Ok, this subject has been around for a long time now. There is confusion between the Recirc Door and the Blend Door on our A/C systems. This makes searching for answers difficult when reading the threads.
These two parts do different things. Without getting into to to much detail, here are the basic symptoms of a Recirc Door problem: If your A/C is blowing normal temperature cold air but the volume is low coming through the vents and the blower (fan) sounds as if its working hard (blowing noise) then you have a Recirc door issue.
Also, if you have had a repair done at the dealer and they replaced parts behind your glove box without removing the dash and/or opening your A/C system, you had a Recirc door repair. Blend door issues are very involved repairs not to mention expensive.
The Recirc door repair is now a replacement unit with a better design that is supposed to resist breakage.
I went to the dealer today, took a tech two minutes to remove the glove box and diagnose the Recirc door problem, they orderd the new "improved" part and will put it in on monday. They said it should take no longer than an hour. We shall see.
Did I miss anything? Hope this thread helps any of you having this problem.
How many of you have "been there, done that" with this issue?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if the air coming from the passenger side vents is warmer than the driver side. That is the problem im having. The driver side is cold and the passenger side is warm.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by dodgeduner
What if the air coming from the passenger side vents is warmer than the driver side. That is the problem im having. The driver side is cold and the passenger side is warm.
You would most likely be having a Blend door issue, not a Recirc door issue.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:46 PM

Talking Conclusion:

The dealer called this morning. Turns out they had the part in stock, aperantly a customer had orderd it a couple of months ago and never picked it up.
So I took Dodge in and an hour and a half later the A/C kicks.
And it is MUCH quieter too, no more wind tunnel sound.
When I pulled out from the dealer the temp was 103F.
The truck cooled down to a comfortable temp within five minutes and I ran it on the second to lowest fan speed, recirc, dash and floor vents all the way home. Twenty miles nice and cool. My truck has never done that even when it was new.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:00 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
27,645 miles

Customer states recirculation door is broken. Install special ordered part.

Removed dash, discharged AC system, removed HVAC box found recirculation door missing ( ) installed a new recirc door assy, installed HVAC box, charged AC, reinstalled dash, tested okay.

Here is the verbiage from my work order.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:26 PM

I had that problem every once in awhile it has not done that for a long time. but i just hopped on here to post a problem im having now and saw this thread.
The problem i have now is that it blows but NO COLD air. The wife and i took a 200 mile round trip a week ago. It worked fine. The next day hopped in noticed that the light for the A/C was not on, pushed the button and nothing. Pulled the dash part off to see if maybe it unpluged but nice and tight. Also on the same panel the heated mirrors are not working. You can up the blower speed but it doesn not change from bi level to defrost or the floor, just stays blowing out of the vent. Checked all the fuses, even pulled everyone out just to make sure. Hope someone can help or it will be making the trip to the dealer.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:38 PM

This may be a little off topic here, but my AC is blowing hot air, it worked fine last summer but got in it a few weeks ago and nothing but warm to hot air, went to wal-mart to get a recharge kit but the coupler does not fit onto the port, also tried to retro fit kit but to no avail, any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh BTW I have a 2004 2500 Cummins
Old 06-06-2008, 08:33 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by -sean-
They said it should take no longer than an hour. We shall see.
I'm not sure why my post didn't 'post' yesterday, and it may be too late now, but here goes the question anyway.

My first Recirc door replacement took all day. When that door broke 6 months later, I just removed the door and have been without it for 2 years.

I have the new set (door, motor, housing) and intend to install it this month. Any idea on how it is done in an hour or even in the hour and a half they took on your's?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:18 PM

yeah, i have heard it is a much longer job to do the blend door. my truck is only about 8 months old, and the a/c has always been weak. it blows cold, but there is little to no difference between recirc and fresh. the motor blows like crazy and is very loud. all vent settings work, but i noticed the other day when i have it on recirc, it blows a fair amount of air throgh the front floor vents. any ideas?
Old 06-07-2008, 01:13 AM

Angry Mine was broken at time of purchase too.

Originally Posted by mastercaster
yeah, i have heard it is a much longer job to do the blend door. my truck is only about 8 months old, and the a/c has always been weak. it blows cold, but there is little to no difference between recirc and fresh. the motor blows like crazy and is very loud. all vent settings work, but i noticed the other day when i have it on recirc, it blows a fair amount of air throgh the front floor vents. any ideas?
Take it to the dealer and have them replace the Recirc Door (not the blend door) and your issue will be solved. Very easy repair for a tech with any clue.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by FMB
I'm not sure why my post didn't 'post' yesterday, and it may be too late now, but here goes the question anyway.

My first Recirc door replacement took all day. When that door broke 6 months later, I just removed the door and have been without it for 2 years.

I have the new set (door, motor, housing) and intend to install it this month. Any idea on how it is done in an hour or even in the hour and a half they took on your's?
I was not watching over the techs shoulders but could see what he was doing to a certain extent. All he did was remove the glove box and some other dash pieces, removed the old unit and installed the new one. Re-installed the dash parts and that was it. He was in no hurry either...
Old 06-07-2008, 05:57 AM

the recirc door is the one behind the glovebox. i can see that one working when i look up in there. can it still be in place and have what seems like full motion and still not work? thnaks.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:28 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by -sean-
I was not watching over the techs shoulders but could see what he was doing to a certain extent. All he did was remove the glove box and some other dash pieces, removed the old unit and installed the new one. Re-installed the dash parts and that was it. He was in no hurry either...
This is interesting, as it may save me hours. The "some other dash pieces" comment, were these the trim pieces on the front of the dash or was it the top of the dash, post trim and side dash trim? Did he pry up the right side of the dash? It doesn't sound like he dropped the steering column or pull the whole dash.
I may just have to tackle this on Sunday and take pics along the way.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:27 AM

We finally had a reason to turn on the air conditioner yesterday in the truck (93 deg outside). I was very disappointed in the lack of "coldness" that is produced. It only has one temp when it comes to the cold. No cold, colder, coldest.....just cold. It seemed to work fine....just didn't get very cold.

Is everyone else with the new trucks seeing this, too?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:12 PM

Lightbulb Come on guys...

Read the original post, this thread is not about air temp. The Recirc door has nothing to do with temp. It has to do with where the air comes from but the problem it causes has to do with volume... not enough air coming through the vents.
Again, if the air is COLD but there is just not much of it, then you have a Recirc door issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Recirc Door Issue. (NO BLEND DOORS)