3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

4x4 roadside engine access

Old 07-04-2004, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4x4 roadside engine access

So I've got this truck and I'm lovin' it. Can't wait to get the side steps on it. And I was looking at what it would take to change the fuel filter on the side of the road. How do you work on this thing without a step stool? Do you stand on the pad on the front bumper?
Old 07-05-2004, 12:28 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
what? are you asking about your ford 6.0? You generally never have to worry about road side repairs with the dodge....
I would be rolling any old wobbly piece of crap back to the truck to stand on if it really came down to a road side repair.....
Old 07-05-2004, 01:34 AM

I thought that's what they put that rubber on top of the bumper for. The only thing I learned is you have to watch out for the coolling fins out front, they left a nice cut on my leg
Old 07-05-2004, 11:31 AM

I've heard that one should be prepared for roadside fuel filter changes. In case you get a bad load of fuel, or...??? So I've got tools, gloves, wash up towels, AND a spare fuel filter in the truck. Murphy can take the day off.

I thought that's what they put that rubber on top of the bumper for. The only thing I learned is you have to watch out for the coolling fins out front, they left a nice cut on my leg

Yup. I keep thinking I'll put my toe through the fins. If they made the whole bumper chrome I'd be less worried about scratching the paint too.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:18 PM

Why not go with the recomended service interval? Much better to do the service at your home than to try doing it on the side of the road with dust flying everyehere!
Just my $0.02.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I keep a stepstool in the bed.

Few people in my family can't get into the truck without it.

It's still quite a reach to see into the fuel filter cannister though.

If you crank the front wheels to the left, you can almost stand on top of there for a better view.

But, mine is a wee bit taller than yours, I almost have to get the A-frame ladder out.

phox
Old 07-05-2004, 11:07 PM

Why not go with the recomended service interval? Much better to do the service at your home than to try doing it on the side of the road with dust flying everyehere!

Oh, I plan to, but from what I've read on this forum, and the TDR, it's a good "spare" to have along with. Should you get a bad tank of fuel I guess. I expect I'll never need it, but at the same time being prepared isn't a bad idea.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:45 AM

Like Phox, I keep a white plastic 3-step stool in the back for those situatations; also comes in handy for those vertically challenged and dexterity challenged who sometimes may have a difficult time getting in the truck.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:00 PM

You could try wearing those really cool moon boots that have the 6" platforms!
Old 07-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look in the latest Pep Boys flyer. They have a "truck tire step" that attaches to the tire. It looks pretty nifty and folds flat for storage.

I don't think it would help folks getting in and out of the truck though.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:34 PM

Any reason not to just stand on the bumper?
Old 07-06-2004, 03:46 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
By all means go and stand on the bumper, but watch out for the cooling fins. It is very easy to bend them with the toe of a shoe or boot without even realizing what you did. To prevent this, just place a piece of thin plywood in front of the rads when working on the truck.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:56 PM

Just stand on the tire. I've done all fuel and oil filters from there. Until you get in down pat,it might take a couple of trips up there due to the "ACHING BACK FACTOR". Seriously though I can do it now in less than 5 mins , including bleeding the cannister.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:34 PM

If you get one of those tire steps, you'll be on the traffic side of the truck if you're ever stuck on the side of the road.

I always use the bumper. I have condensor gaurd to protect me and the condensor, and nerf bars for everyone who needs to climb into the beast.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:36 AM

I've been stepping on the bumper too, but it sure is easy to kick in the fins, or like I said earlier cut the shin on them. Think I'll look at that plywood idea, I could fit that in the tool box

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 roadside engine access