3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2WD Ball Joint Replacement...

Old 12-21-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2WD Ball Joint Replacement...

It's time to replace my ball joints (2006 3500, 2WD).

I find many references & photos for replacing the 4WD ball joints, but have not found any how-to's for the 2WD ball joints.

If someone is aware of a how-to for this process, could you give me a link? I've searched the forum and have not found one yet... unfortunately, there are not many ball joint discussions out there for us 2WD guys.

I plan to install the ball joints myself... my local dealer quoted over $1,300 for the parts & work! I also plan to install greasable joints... probably Moog.

I expect the upper joints will be pretty straightforward as they come as an assembly with the upper control arm. I would like to find some instructions/tips on the lower joints... particularly how I could keep the spring in place and everything together once I have the stearing knucle out.

Thanks!
John.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I've found.... Moog is not the best choice. XRF does make ball joints for the 2wd (upper and lower). They are rated as heavy duty. I haven't replaced mine yet, but that's what I plan on using.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your top ones are probably the only ones out. Check them and see. They will go out anywhere from 120,000 to 200,000 miles.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bottom usually goes first cuz they carry all the weight. You have to get the lower arms on jack stands. Put the stands outboard as far as you can and still be able to change the joint. If the stands are too far inward the spring won't compress enough to take the load off the upper arm stop. Once the load is off so that the upper arm is not against the stop, the spindle/knuckle is unloaded and it's safe to pop the joint loose with a pickle fork. Make sure the lower arms are solidly set on the jack stands and can't slide or you will have a disaster! Once the knuckle is loose, if the stands slide that spring can come out of there like a rocket. I always did them on a hoist so if the stands slid the vehicle wouldn't fall on the ground or me. It would be a darn good idea to use another set of stands under the truck frame before you pop the knuckles loose unless you do it on a hoist. That way you'd only have half of a disaster if the lower arm jack stands slipped. Craig
Old 12-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
There should be a mark that says this side away from or toward the wheel. Look for that. Also put them in the freezer the night before and they will install so much easier. Check your tie rod and sway bar end links while your at it