3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tail light still out after new bulb

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail light still out after new bulb

My “lamp out” light came on,so I checked my brake lights and seen one was out. No big deal- I got new bulbs and replaced them. Then, I noticed it still didn’t work. Switched some bulbs around to confirm but they didn’t work either. Well- then I figured it must be the tail light socket that might be bad. Got one installed and STILL didn’t work. I switched the drivers side socket to the pass. side to check and, the same thing- didn’t work. It’s the TOP bulb of the three in the passenger side taillight. The top one is; four-way flasher, parking light, and brake light. The middle bulb is parking light and brake light. Bottom is reverse light. It’s only the top bulb of the light assembly that is not working with the Brake lights. (If no turn signal is on- it make 4 bright brake lights. Now I only have three brake lights not including the top mount light) EVERYTHING else works fine - headlights,markers,top mount brake light. Even the bulb that doesn’t work with the brake light DOES work with the four-ways, parking light and turn signal. EVERY SINGLE TIME I use the brake pedal the “lamp out” chime beeps and drives me insane! I’ve check harnesses and wiring and there is no damage, rubbing, pinching or any known reason to have an issue.

Does this sound familiar to anyone that had a similar problem and have any idea what I could check or replace?
Old 01-01-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the slightest little pin hole in vehicle wiring can cause the copper inside the insulation to turn to green powder. Ive been replacing wiring that looked fine on the outside for years. worst case all you have to do is run a wire from the other side.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering if I could jump a wire from the other side to make it work. I might try that to see if it solves the problem.