3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

"04 ORDER DATE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:"04 ORDER DATE?

Ok, call your dealer for your &quot;VON&quot; (Vehicle Order Number). <br>Then call DC at 800-992-1997 and select customer, then select telephone number option and stay on line for operator. They will ask for your VON number and the general type of truck i.e. model, 4x4 and body style. Ask which week and job number your truck will be built and most important the expected ship date. Once it is built I believe you can track it through the selected rail carrier's tracer network which I found on Diesel Truck Resource. Good luck. Http://www.dodgeram.org/buying_info/Order_status.htm.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:54 PM

DC gave the the 04' VIN this morning.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Spoke with the dealer today.<br>Truck ships on August 2. ETA...3rd week in August.<br><br> ;D
Old 07-22-2003, 11:21 AM

scotty you must be pretty certain about the EGR thing. any word on this? or maybe you don't perceive EGR to be a sky-is-falling thing, which it probably isn't. I don't think, for example, that all the TDI posts and gasser analogies are valid for the EGR+VGT cummins.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=Doug link=board=20;threadid=15783;start=15#162736 date=1058890885]<br>scotty you must be pretty certain about the EGR thing. any word on this? or maybe you don't perceive EGR to be a sky-is-falling thing, which it probably isn't. I don't think, for example, that all the TDI posts and gasser analogies are valid for the EGR+VGT cummins.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I never really gave it much thought. If it comes with the EGR...so be it. If it does not...thats fine too.<br>I will work with what I get. Having EGR will give us the opportunity to deal with it and what it does. EGR stands for EGR Gradually Removed for me. Thats if its a big issue for performance. Afterall, I am my own warranty station the moment I leave the lot. But thats just me. ;D <br><br>By the way, did I mention its black?
Old 07-28-2003, 09:15 PM

;D Just heard from my dealer today. My truck is schedlued to ship on August 12. I can't wait! ;D
Old 08-06-2003, 06:49 PM

Shipped August 5th. Maybe in by 8/14? Still trying to find out what changes there are (if any) on the truck. ;D
Old 08-08-2003, 10:31 AM

adjustable headrests in the back are here for 2004, as are some minor trim changes for Laramie. the SLT gains keyless entry as standard, and lost heated mirrors as standard equipment.

Laramie lost the woodgrain bezels in favor of silver. also lost the body color grill surround and honeycomb insert in favor of a chrome surround with billet insert. also lost the body color side moldings in favor of chrome ones. lost tow hooks as std, too.

I hope they re-design the fuel fill system, but not holding my breath. shouldn't be any change whatsoever to the major drive line components. I appologize if this is redundant, but DC is telling me that the early 2004 trucks are getting engines built to the 03 performance specs, which to me means no EGR.

My truck now has a VIN and is 10-15 days away from birth. Here's the status:

passed status description

x BX pass edit but changes can be made. ready for scheduling
x D build is scheduled with an approximate ship date
x D1 equipment procured and build complete expected in 10-15 days
E in process of being framed
F in process of being painted
G in process of trim install
J built and awaiting shipment
KZ being shipped to carrier and invoiced to dealer
KZ-M first rail departure
KZ-N first rail arrival
KZ-T second rail departure
KZ-U second rail arrival
KZ-X delivered to dealer
Old 08-08-2003, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sounds about as bad as counting down the days till you turn 16 and get your license! The waiting must be awful, but exciting!! Vittorio and others, PLEASE PLEASE post if there are any changes, mainly EGR or turbo, on your 04's when you get them!! Pics too por favor!! 8)
Old 08-08-2003, 03:42 PM

Bueno, will do! Also, thanks Doug for the info follow up.
Now, trying to figure out how long it takes from ship date 8/5 till delaer delivery. I'm sure Union Pacific is really sick of me.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:22 PM

oh, man. knowing your truck is built to your specs and sitting on a rail car somewhere is pretty agonizing! to say nothing of the $64K EGR question. so do you guys know how to recognize EGR if you see it?

oh, btw, yea I forgot about the GPS radio.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:12 PM

UP's tracking hasn't picked up the rail car which should have crossed the border by now, so I'll just have to take a cold shower.

Dealer tried the GPS option on me but I explained there are no &quot;streets&quot; or cities within 100 miles of me. Just remote mountains and the desert. I do carry a Garmin GPS in my saddlebag though as a little &quot;Go To&quot; insurance.

My experience with EGR is you feel it then you'll know it! I'll report back but my understanding from an earlier post is the early 04' trucks won't have it? Is everyone's understanding?
Old 08-08-2003, 09:26 PM

Feel it then you'll know it????? I'm sorry

You'll have to pop your engine bay and take a look. When it shows up, have a dealer tech look under the hood and point out various parts of the engine to familiarize you with it. Ask him if there's an EGR. You should be able to see it if you follow the flow of air from the airbox to the block. Anyone else have any suggestions on how Vitt can answer the $64k question? It would seem he may be getting the first one, eh? Does anyone have an earlier ship date?

Did you guys go with the GPS radio? It was awfully expensive, and I somehow guess the dodge one will be cheesy compared to an Alpine or the like that you can get for similar money or just a bit more. The dodge one will be built in which will be clean and nice, but the alpine plays dvd or video input on a much bigger screen. Ahh dilemmas. Either way, right now I'm trying to decide on either an 03 or 04, on the fence. Waiting to hear the answer to the big question on EGR.

Also the 04 will have no cheesy fake woodgrain!
Old 08-08-2003, 10:22 PM

[quote author=Vittorio link=board=17;threadid=15783;start=15#msg170199 date=1060387978]
I'll report back but my understanding from an earlier post is the early 04' trucks won't have it? Is everyone's understanding?
[/quote]

Well, basically we have two legitimate and collaborating stories in favor of &quot;no EGR&quot;: one is the conjucture by an unknown Cummins rep (appologies that I don't remember who posted this) essentially suggesting that DC would put off EGR as long as possible (cost) and that it would be highly unlikely of DC to build in EGR before they had to, which is January. The other story is basically mine, where the DC call center told me flat out that the 2004s in production now were being built with CTD engines conforming to the 2003 spec and that there were no engine changes introduced with the 2004 model year intro INCLUDING the fact that the 2004 HO engine STILL cannot be sold in California.

On the opposite side, we have a dealer in Bellevue, WA flapping his little &quot;buy my leftover 2003&quot; sales manager lips and pontificating to me that the new engines WOULD have some sort of exhaust related emmisions change, that the 2004s torque output was reduced from 03, and that hordes of buyers were flocking to buy up the 2003s. That idiot caused me so much of a heart attack that I'll probably file a complaint with the BBB (for misinformation) if in fact I find out he was wrong. Of course if he is right I'll have to eat crow and be the idiot.

98.5 chances in 100 the 'no egr' story is the correct one. who do you trust more -- common sense and an approved answer given by DC to their non-commissioned call center agents, or a sales manager eager to unload inventory?

I just hate so much when sales droids lie. Man am I ever fortunate that my dealer (Peterson Stampede Dodge in Nampa ID) has been straight up, honest, helpful and a wonderful dealer to work with, from the Sales staff, management, business office, service manager, to the GM himself. Kudos to you, Mike (the GM).
Old 08-08-2003, 10:29 PM

Doug I sure hope you're right. I got email from cummins saying basically the same thing. They said all trucks built early 04 would be built to 03 spec, the engine change will come later. I just somehow am still paranoid, and am wanting to wait to know for sure before ordering.

They didn't mention jan 1 in the email I got from cummins. Where did jan 1 come from? Does anyone have a definite reference to an emissions law changes for 04? I know 06 and 07 do.

Quick Reply: "04 ORDER DATE?