3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

$46.00 for a fuel filter?!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexstan- The Fleetguard Stratopore fuel filter is FS 19579. Thats the one i use.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
Just ordered 2 oil filters and 2 fuel filters (Fleetguard) from Genos today and it was $60.00 delivered. Not too bad I think.
I get baldwin filters at local peterbilt shop 9 bucks for the fuel and 5 bucks for the oil. Baldwin is a real good filter they use them on the big trucks there.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
150 beans for a filter change here in Mississauga.
With some of the fuel system problems I read about...I don't dare change my own filter...oh well such is life.
My first and last diesel...too bad...it is a lot of fun...but after warranty repairs too scary to think about...after warranty gone...trucks gone.
Next will be a Toyota gasser as I don't tow more than a pop up camper.
I should never have taken this beast for a test drive...too much fun.
You play...you pay...
Old 08-08-2006, 02:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
not being critical, but....

Originally Posted by Toto
With some of the fuel system problems I read about...I don't dare change my own filter...oh well such is life.
To each his own, but, I certainly trust myself changing my own filter (about as easy as tying one's shoes) than someone else who may or may not be indifferent to the life of my fuel system. At least I care enough to spray & wipe down the area above and around the filter before removing the cap, etc., etc.

Who does your oil changes? If the answer is "the dealer", then you're right, maybe a diesel is too expensive for you and you should get a Toyota gasser.

Not being critical, but if a CTD owner doesn't feel comfortable performing most of the maintenance tasks (changing the oil, filters, other fluids, trans service, lube, etc.) in the owner's manual then yes- owning one will certainly be an expensive proposition. The dealer gets you comming and going- parts and service. I guess that goes for any new vehicle for that matter.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Toto
150 beans for a filter change here in Mississauga.
My first and last diesel...too bad...it is a lot of fun...but after warranty repairs too scary to think about...after warranty gone...trucks gone.
Next will be a Toyota gasser as I don't tow more than a pop up camper.
I should never have taken this beast for a test drive...too much fun.
You play...you pay...

less than $20+tax cdn for a filter from cummins in missassauga. no reason why you can't change your own fuel filter.

CUMMINS EASTERN CANADA LP
7175 PACIFIC CIRCLE
MISSISSAUGA ON L5T 2A5
Canada
Tel: (905) 795-0050
Fax: (905) 795-0021
Old 08-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
jwooden......
Why does you sig show BOSCH Platinum sparkplugs for your CTD!!

As for the topic.. It is best if you can do the work on a Diesel yourself to save some $$. I will be doing most all my own work. Just log it in your service manual and keep receipts for parts you buy.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
jwooden......
Why does you sig show BOSCH Platinum sparkplugs for your CTD!!
Now that is plain funny!

I sure like my '02 over my '99 since they made the fuel filter replaceable from the top. I can unscrew the top, change the filter and o-ring, and put the new filter back in without losing a bunch of fuel and having to re-prime my truck. Maybe someone actually worked on a truck they designed and made a change. Maybe we should make a DC engineer change the oil filter 10 times in a row and I bet they'd move that POS too!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jwooden
To each his own, but, I certainly trust myself changing my own filter (about as easy as tying one's shoes) than someone else who may or may not be indifferent to the life of my fuel system. At least I care enough to spray & wipe down the area above and around the filter before removing the cap, etc., etc.

Who does your oil changes? If the answer is "the dealer", then you're right, maybe a diesel is too expensive for you and you should get a Toyota gasser.

Not being critical, but if a CTD owner doesn't feel comfortable performing most of the maintenance tasks (changing the oil, filters, other fluids, trans service, lube, etc.) in the owner's manual then yes- owning one will certainly be an expensive proposition. The dealer gets you comming and going- parts and service. I guess that goes for any new vehicle for that matter.
Hi Jay

I do trust myself to do the filter change...very simple.
However if something goes wrong with the system..you just know they are going to blame it on the owner to get out of a claim.
I may do the next one myself anyway.
BTW, the dealer did overfill my crankcase by 2.5 litres once.
You are right...all some of them care about is the buck.
Don't take the minimal extra time to do a quality job.
Heck...it's not their truck!
Old 08-10-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI, fleetfilter.com has great prices on Wix Gold filters (NAPA's top of the line stock). Just bought 6 of each oil, air and fuel filters for my DMax. Total $230 shipped. For comparison, first maintenance, I bought the same filters from NAPA and the 3 filters cost almost $100.