3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

What is the best trailer brake controller?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The Prodigy P2 is pretty popular among the fifth wheel crowd. Easy install and adjustable for trailer weight. Mine works well whether towing the fiver or the 7,000# GW utility trailers.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert5600
The Prodigy P2 is pretty popular among the fifth wheel crowd. Easy install and adjustable for trailer weight. Mine works well whether towing the fiver or the 7,000# GW utility trailers.
I hear the Tuson DirecLink is well regarded as they work off the OBD-II port.

Does anyone have one on an '05 and could comment on them please?
Old 08-30-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Oz_Ram
I hear the Tuson DirecLink is well regarded as they work off the OBD-II port.

Does anyone have one on an '05 and could comment on them please?
The specific model P2 I have plugged right into the underdash trailer brake plug. Pretty simple install.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert5600
The specific model P2 I have plugged right into the underdash trailer brake plug. Pretty simple install.
Yep, the P2 would be my second choice but I like the way the DirecLink uses the OBD-II parameters to calculate the required braking force, by all accounts this results in a more progressive brake application.

I am hoping to find out how well it works on an '05 before I outlay the considerable amount it would cost to get one over here.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I know this thread is somewhat old but if there are new readers that happen along, here's my experience and recommendation.

I had a Tekonsha Voyager for several years that worked quite well with the electric drum brakes on our 2-axle car hauler trailer. It always seemed to sense the rate of deceleration accurately and apply the right amount of braking signal in the right time and was easily adjusted to different weights I carried. I upgraded to a Tekonsha P3 this past November in prep for towing a "new to us" DRV Mobile Suites 38-ft 5th wheel that is equipped with electric over hydraulic disc brakes. This RV has a dry weight of close to 15K.

While researching brake controllers I found some websites that claimed the Voyager is compatible with electric over hydraulic brakes, however the Tekonsha website makes no such claim. I therefore decided I needed a brake controller that the company specifically said it works with both electric (standard systems) and electric over hydraulic. The P3 is clearly qualified for such.

So, shortly after the P3 purchase, I drive 2100+ miles from home to Ft Lauderdale, FL to checkout the RV and we make the decision to buy it. On the drive home we experienced highway and stop and go in-town traffic and for the entire trip, with a few situations requiring quick braking reactions to unpredictable drivers which also required fast, effective braking to a stop. In every situation, the P3 performed VERY well. I am very well pleased with this brake controller having had such experience with it. I also like the fact it can store configurations and settings for up to 3 different trailers. Although I haven't had experience with some of the others mentioned here, if I had to buy another brake controller it almost certainly would be a Tekonsha P3. I can't recommend it highly enough.