3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Which Tuner??????? I am confused..

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:56 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Right On. That is exactly my thinking such that returning to stock and any smog related check in the future can can be readily addressed. I just can't get myself to tear into the mechanicals before my 3 year warantee is up. I have less than $5K and haven't done the first oil change yet! 3 years is up Aug 2010.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think I can wait much longer. Watching it regen and the fuel gauge plummit grates on my nerves. I have 9500 Km (5900 Mi) on it, did the first fluid change. Ready to set sail on clean oil, and a sooty tail pipe...
Old 06-06-2009, 11:59 PM
"California Style"

I'm not far behind ya!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I already cant wait to tear into mine and I only have 500 miles on it. lmao. I think I am going to do the deletes and hold onto the parts in the garage in case I have to do waranty work..... I have the 100k mile warranty on it.....
Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,
the "hardware" to delete the DPF and EGR can be homebrewed for a few bucks!
When I did my deletes there was nothing available yet ( Almost 2.5 years ago ).
I had to do myself. So I did. EGR: take the crossover tube off, ground a block plate out of a piece of 1/4'' sheet metal. 5 minutes costs zero bucks.
For the DPF. A heavy 4'' pipe ( thick! wall makes for no drone in the cab) with the flanges welded on to replace the CAT and DPF. I had that one done since I could not cut the flanges on my own. Well didn't want to get dirty hands with it...

A couple hours and 80 bucks later I had my delete pipe. Swapping out the DPF and Cat is a piece of cake that average joe can do in an hour...voilà.
Poor man's delete that works and the OEM stuff can go back in easy.

OK, OK, I havta admit, also the Smarty was free for me. LOL

Marco
Old 06-09-2009, 08:04 PM

Boy I bet the competition is PI$$ED with Marco's "developments"! haha
Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by Marco
Guys,
the "hardware" to delete the DPF and EGR can be homebrewed for a few bucks!
When I did my deletes there was nothing available yet ( Almost 2.5 years ago ).
I had to do myself. So I did. EGR: take the crossover tube off, ground a block plate out of a piece of 1/4'' sheet metal. 5 minutes costs zero bucks.
For the DPF. A heavy 4'' pipe ( thick! wall makes for no drone in the cab) with the flanges welded on to replace the CAT and DPF. I had that one done since I could not cut the flanges on my own. Well didn't want to get dirty hands with it...

A couple hours and 80 bucks later I had my delete pipe. Swapping out the DPF and Cat is a piece of cake that average joe can do in an hour...voilà.
Poor man's delete that works and the OEM stuff can go back in easy.

OK, OK, I havta admit, also the Smarty was free for me. LOL

Marco
Sounds so easy. So with the EGR delete you just block it off and leave everything else stock (since that is the route I would want to go). Swap out the DPF and CAT for new pipes. What about all the connections going into the Exhaust? Do we need to put those back in? Leave them disconnected? Need SIMS and such for the connection? Or does Smarty pretty much take care of all the connection and they can be left disconnected from their source? Sorry about all the questions.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:50 PM

I was also stressing about which programmer to buy. It doesnt help that I research everything I buy so much until I almost talk myself out of the purchase all together. YOU WILL LOVE THE SMARTY!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 01:20 AM

mega-engr,
no need for any sensors in the exhaust. We're taking care of them through the software ( ME version of course! ). With the latest SW no more need for SIMS either. Pretty much, unplug them all and be done with it.

Marco
Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Marco,

Any news for the 6.7L Jr? I need one (maybe two) ASAP for the ME version.

MikeyB
Old 06-11-2009, 04:43 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by Marco
mega-engr,
no need for any sensors in the exhaust. We're taking care of them through the software ( ME version of course! ). With the latest SW no more need for SIMS either. Pretty much, unplug them all and be done with it.

Marco
Perfect! You are talking me into doing the deletes and upgrading to the ME. Can I turn my current S67 into the ME (or "me" version)?

DTR, does anyone have a recommended source (quality, price, etc.) to get the plug for the EGR tube (maybe just a freeze plug? Part number? as well as the DPF/CAT delete pipes? Sounds like that is all I would need because I want to be able to go back to stock as easy as possible if need be for warantee or emissions... Thanks!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Chapter President

The pipes I have sourced are from Flo-Pro, but they are more local to me.
http://www.flopro.com/DPFCAT09FEB16.pdf
And the EGR kit I have sourced from DPP.
EGR Valve Delete Kit
Old 06-11-2009, 05:59 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
The pipes I have sourced are from Flo-Pro, but they are more local to me.
http://www.flopro.com/DPFCAT09FEB16.pdf
And the EGR kit I have sourced from DPP.
EGR Valve Delete Kit
I haven't been under the truck lately to take a good look, but I was hoping for a pipe that would just bolt in between the turbo-back down pipe and replace the DPF and CAT without going the whole exhaust. The DPF delete pipe looks closest, but was hoping to replace some of the other stuff as well without doing the whole system. What is the order NOX CAT DPF? CAT NOX DPF? I want to be able to easily replace the items in the exhaust that Smarty allows me to unplug easily back and forth.

Same goes for the EGR. I don't want to remove the whole thing, just block the tube as this is my understanding that is all that is needed to prevent the soot. I understand that the EGR needs to be kept plugged in for full power. Just need to remove the plunger and unplug some stuff. Maybe I should make my own puck to plug the tube?

Main goal is to eliminate the items Smarty lets me and be able to put back to stock quick and easy... Maybe I need to go to a muffler shop and have a pipe (without any fittings) flanged up? Maybe someone all ready sells such? Not interested in getting rid of the muffler or stock tail pipe really.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Chapter President

I am only interested in the delete pipe for the Cat/DPF from the flange to the muffler as well. I was interested in the turbo back, but may be more than I need to do. A good exhaust shop could do some of this work except for the flange.

I have had the EGR system off the truck to install my boost sensor for my gauges and its not hard to do. So that kit seemed pretty straight forward to me.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
I am only interested in the delete pipe for the Cat/DPF from the flange to the muffler as well. I was interested in the turbo back, but may be more than I need to do. A good exhaust shop could do some of this work except for the flange.

I have had the EGR system off the truck to install my boost sensor for my gauges and its not hard to do. So that kit seemed pretty straight forward to me.
Let me know if you or anyone finds this type of delete pipe ready made, no inserts/fittings, etc.

Regarding the EGR removal, what did you do with the connection that Marco says needs to be plugged in still (to not lose the 40HP) then?

Quick Reply: Which Tuner??????? I am confused..