3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Smarty or h&s tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty or h&s tuner

Hey I was wonder which tuner is easier to use. Now guys I'm not tryin to Start a product war but I see alot of questions associated with the smarty and not to many people talk about the h&s programmer. Is smarty more popular cuz of price or just more poular cuz more people have questions and ask. Really didnt want a war between the two just wanna find someone who has used an h&s and can tell me about it compared to the smarty
Old 03-31-2011, 05:56 AM

Smile

I would guess it is personal preference. I just picked up the H&S mini max and love it. It is mini which means you don't have brick stuck on your dash. Its easy to use and program with. Yes it was more money but I think its worth it. They also seem to have great support. When you call you can actually talke to a real love person with out waiting on hold for 20 minutes. Looks at the features of each and decide which one fits your needs.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:04 AM

Did you install or have someone do it? If you installed how easy/ difficult was it.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:23 AM

I have a smarty and a h&s xrt pro for overdrive programing. I'm really impressed with what the guys at h&s are doing. The display h&s uses allows a lot more text on the screen than smarty which could help eliminate confusion I guess. What it comes down to is they are both really good and each does something the other won't. I'm still undecided which I would have if I could only have one.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:43 PM

Smarty jr $500 if you are only going up to 100hp w/ deletes
smarty sr $700 if you are going over 0-175 hp w/ deletes
XRT Pro $700 if you are going over 0-175 hp w/ deletes
mini max $1000 if you want computerized gauges and 0-175 hp w/deletes

the smartys you can install in your sleep
the mini max programmer install is as easy as the smarty, but the gauge portion on the install will take some time/tools

smarty seems to be more adjustable for those that like to tinker with tunes

mini max is adjustable on the fly (not discounting smartys pod/but who leaves that plugged in all the time ?)

h&s also has the overdrive tunes (for those that have auto's)

i opted for the smarty jr (as i dont plan on going over 100hp (which really requires alot more upgrades, fuel, injectors, turbo, gauges, etc.)

I have also had a gps and stereo stolen from my truck, with the mini max you need to mount the box in the truck which can be stolen, my smarty stays on the shelf in my office.

and i am cheap i got my deletes and smarty jr for under 700$
Old 03-31-2011, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Will the smarty jr allow fogs with high beams and seat belt chimes disable and other stuff like h$s or is it just for engine tunes.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by mlair921
Thanks for the info guys. Will the smarty jr allow fogs with high beams and seat belt chimes disable and other stuff like h$s or is it just for engine tunes.
Smarty won't do anything except tire size other than the engine tuning.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:12 PM

That's what I thought thanks speedy
Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 PM

The truck can change the seat belt chime setup. At least mine can. I don't know about the fog lights with high beams though.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went the H&S route and love it, it was easy to install, I liked the fact that it is both my programmer and gages all in one nice neat little package, it was similar price to a smarty and an edge insight but on the advice of my performance goodie dealer and other people on here went with the H&S instead. the options you can monkey with are a nice bonus also.
bottom line though, i dont think you can go wrong either way
Old 04-02-2011, 09:49 PM

That's what I like is it's also the gauges with the h&s is there alot of fine tuning with the h&s or just set it on a hp setting and it works or can you tune it like the smarty I've read on both alot but maybe I have missed something on the H&s. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible cuz it's slot of money to spend and I still haven't found my money tree. Again thank y'all so much for the info this site is great along with the peolpe.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with the mini you load the tune you want, there are multiple custom tunes available on their website, and then just hit the up or down buttons, it gives you the option on stock, mild, wild and hot settings, DPF present is 40-80-120. DPF removed they are 60-120-175. http://www.hsperformance.com/mini-maxx/
beyond that there is no settings for torque management but there are settigs for defuel due to trans temp, water temp too cold and too hot, pyro, too much boost. aside from my trans not liking the hot setting i have no complaints or issues with the product at all
Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 PM

I just removed an Edge Juice/attitude from my truck today and installed an H&S MiniMaxx tuner. What a difference!! I can already see an improvement in mileage. I used to get 100 miles to a quarter tank driving in town. Got 130 miles on my first quarter tank with the MiniMaxx. The engine idles noticeably better. Throttle response is excellent. EGTs are way down. Can't wait for my Sinister EGR/cooler delete kit to get here so I can get the rest of that junk off my engine!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 PM

I'll Try here first

As stated, don't want to hijack... but I feel like this may be in play here also.
I want to know if one is better (H/S or Smarty sr) for low end accel. (towing heavy) and fuel milage.
I like the H/S for the heads up display and really don't want to spend the time to find just the right tune. That said I would do it if the outcome was worth the headache of doing it.
Also I have a manual dually now (need to update my profile) I can't stand the delay after every shift from the torque management... If I understood the guy at H/S correctly today the H/S will eliminate that... If true then that removes this Ishue, but not sure if this is correct, I know the smarty will...
Thanks for any feed back in advance.. And if this shouldn't be here just let me know and I will start a new thread..
Old 05-11-2011, 02:19 PM

I'm lookin at both the mini max or the smarty with scout ll my question is I know the scout has built in turbo timer but does the mini max. Both combinations seem the same both support full deletes with nothing having to b pluged in etc.... the only diffs being turbo timer?? Any info between running mini max or smarty with scout ll would b great

Quick Reply: Smarty or h&s tuner