3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

SB Clutch install on 6.7

Old 09-08-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SB Clutch install on 6.7

Anyone have any advice on a clutch install, i just bought a sb dd 3600 gonna try to install it with a couple friends... We are all pretty mechanically inclined but just wanted to know if theres any tricks to make the install go quicker/easier!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 PM

So i called South bend today and they said the webbing in the bell housing will have to be ground down a bit to clear the 3600 press plate. So if your buying a dual disc break you grinder out lol
Old 09-11-2009, 10:16 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Only tip I have is remember that the DMF you're taking off is VERY heavy and it has to come off like a torque convertor, from the front. It will hurt if it drops. Good news though, I did mine alone on my back on uneven concrete.

Chris
Old 09-15-2009, 05:02 PM

well got the clutch in last night....kinda. Directions say not to bolt any spacers to the crank shaft and to bolt the flywheel directly to the "bare crank" however they send a crank spacer in the kit... YOU DO HAVE TO USE THE SPACER THEY SEND YOU IF YOU HAVE A G56 and if you dont the starter will always be in contact with the flywheel ... not good..and super stiff clutch pedal and the pedal will not engage all the wall because the hydro will be hyper extending with out spacer...i wish there was a post like this before i started this project now i have to reinstall the clutch again.. but all in all not hard to do just takes alot of time.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:21 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I did a single disc setup on mine. No spacer required. Different I guess.

Chris
Old 09-19-2009, 11:40 AM

If you are installing a south bend 3600 dual disc clutch for a g56 2007.5 dodge diesel 6.7L you'll have to use the supplied spacer. After i got it on the hydrolics had a leak in it.... called south bend and they sent me a brand new hydrolic set up two days later. sooo if your watching people from south bend...AWSOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!! thank you.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X2 on the crank spacer - had to go online and triple-check what to do with it, since the instructions were 100 miles away... sure didn't want to R&R it!

The bellhousing grindage was because of a lever (as opposed to diaphragm) pressure plate?
Old 09-19-2009, 09:07 PM

Good thing you got it all installed, and X2 on South Bends customer service!
Thats why ill be going with Peter when the time comes for a clutch...
Old 09-20-2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
X2 on the crank spacer - had to go online and triple-check what to do with it, since the instructions were 100 miles away... sure didn't want to R&R it!

The bellhousing grindage was because of a lever (as opposed to diaphragm) pressure plate?
The grinding is only required on the diaphragm style. The 3600 lb diaphragm is a wide pressure plate than the others and the springs contact the bellhousing webbing.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the hydro. upgrade a must for this dd clutch or the original one work with just more pedal pressure.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by got_soot
is the hydro. upgrade a must for this dd clutch or the original one work with just more pedal pressure.
I think* on the dual discs you do need the upgrade for sure, give South bend a call to be sure, one thing they never do is try to sell you stuff you dont need.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:00 AM

I am glad to see this post. I am in the process of buying a 3250 DD for my 06. What was the hardest part of the install? Me and my buddy are gonna do mine, we have not ever done a clutch before, but I have put in a few auto trannys in jeeps. I have heard the weight is really what makes things hard. When putting on the clutch, do you have to align anything once you have the clutch is on? My local dealer said that the kit comes with some kind of alignment tool. And how hard is installing the hydraulics?
Old 09-26-2009, 02:15 PM

Well you'll really want to have a trans jack makes things go alot smoother. i rented one for like 15 bucks or something. The hardest parts are taking the trans off and putting it back on. I had to take off the shift knuckle so the trans would clear the floor because the jack stands werent very tall. it comes with a align tool that aligns the cluches, flywheel. just rember to take it out before to try to put the trans back on lol. Once you get the trans input through tighten up the gaps by bolting up the bell housing and tighten the bolts evenly should pull it together nice. all bolts are pretty easy to get to with swivels. the one time consuming thing is taking the old dm flywheel off. there is an opening on the exhaust side of trans where you can turn the flywheel and reach the bolts one at a time and its slightly heavy!
Old 09-26-2009, 02:17 PM

hydrolics are super easy to put on
Old 09-26-2009, 02:52 PM

Thanks for all the info! Does the kit come with instructions? I am not really worried about the install, I would just like to have something to take me through the steps so I don't forget anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SB Clutch install on 6.7