3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Real World Experience: Magnaflow DPF-back

Old 11-07-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real World Experience: Magnaflow DPF-back

Thought I would share my experience with the Magnaflow DPF-back exhaust, in case anyone else was considering this option. Before my purchase, I did a lot of reading and could not find any candid reviews.

I purchased part #16973, which is the 4" stainless steel model, and includes both a polished muffler and a muffler-delete pipe, making both options available to the consumer. The kit also includes a welded 5" polished chrome tip.

The Good
Fit and finish are excellent. The tip is welded fully to the last section of pipe and really dresses up the back end.

The muffler is a straight-through design, with an extra inch or so of noise dampening material.

All parts line up nicely with the stock hangers.

The Bad
Bolts are supposed to be torqued to 65 lb/ft. The first one I attempted to tighten to that torque snapped the head off. Borrowing from the stock assembly for a replacement, I stopped at 50 lb/ft and called it done. Make sure you use a torque wrench - if you tighten it equivalently to the stock system you are replacing, you will find that the Magnaflow comes apart (it did on mine).

The difference in sound from stock is...nada. I videotaped before and after, and I still couldn't tell a difference. And if you are wondering about the straight pipe vs. the muffler - still no difference in sound.

The difference in performance is...nada. Definitely seeing a pattern here. After looking again at the stock muffler, I see why - it is also a straight-through design, just has a bigger chamber around the exhaust flow.

The Verdict
Overall, I am disappointed. I drove around for a short period of time with nothing on the truck from the DPF back. That's the sound I was looking for - a nice deep rumble from under the bed. If I had it to do over again, I would have added another hanger to the frame for the DPF (there is a welded hanger on the DPF but it does not attach to the frame) and placed a 90-degree turn-down on it. Even paying for the welding, that setup would have run me half the cost of the Magnaflow.

If anyone wants to experiment for themselves, PM me and I'll make you a good deal on a Magnaflow exhaust kit...
Old 11-08-2009, 09:32 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Similar experiance for me with the MBRP kit I bought. As long as the DPF was there, the sound didn't change noticeably. When the deletes were done I did put the factory resonator back on. Perfect sound.

Chris