3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Need help with mini maxx with Bully Dog Pyro, no readings

Old 03-02-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need help with mini maxx with Bully Dog Pyro, no readings

So I recently purchased a 2008 (3500 mega cab dually) with a mini maxx (and full deletes) already installed. It did not come with a pyrometer installed and since I tow a lot I figured it was a good investment.

After reading multiple places that the Bully Dog pyrometer (40384) worked with the mini maxx, I went ahead and purchased one.

I installed the setup last night and I am not getting any readings for the pyrometer on 1 or 2 on the mini maxx screen. The number read out just says "0" and the gauge doesn't move off "0" either.

All the Bully Dog wiring is correct (I triple checked it) and the status light on the Bully Dog is solid green.
If I unplug the Bully Dog USB from the mini maxx box (the one on the USB cord), the status light on the Bully Dog box flashes (which means it is no longer communicating).
I also tried setting the mini maxx pyrometer location to both the "H&S pyro" and the "Factory pyro" locations (neither makes any difference).

At this point I am stumped and could really use some help...

I'm not sure if:
-The actual pyrometer in no good (any way to test this?)
-The Bully Dog stuff is no good
-The H&S software is too old for this style pyrometer (the picture in the H&S directions for the pyrometer setup looks very different then the newer style I now have).
-The mini maxx box that the USB plugs into is too old
-Or countless other possibilities

This H&S mini maxx unit is from 2012 and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been updated in a long time, if ever...
Current software is:
SW-1.02.1 TV-6.7.35
M175 W/TURBO

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Tom
Old 03-03-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty sure it's the pyro you have chosen. Pyro 1 & 2 are the factory ones if I recall correctly. Read the instructions that came with the pyro kit for more details, or call Bully Dog.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:26 PM

After messing with many different things I discovered it was a firmware issue. I updated from:
SW-1.02.1 TV-6.7.35
To:
SW-1.02.3 TV-6.7.50

I first did the TV update and it still didn't work, once I updated the firmware it started working. (I got a "version mismatch" after updating the TV).

Interesting that it changed a bunch of other stuff during the update.
I now have tow,street and performance... (used to be mild, wild and hot).

Also under the SW/TV there is now a solid white line where it used to say "M175 W/TURBO".
Any idea if that makes any changes, did I have a different tune before?
Old 03-09-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you have the same version I have now. That's the same names for power levels I have.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:01 PM

There was an option about "turbo timing at low boost" (or similar wording) during the download, I assume that is similar to the "M175 W/TURBO" tune. I don't recall seeing that option offered till I updated it.

This website was extremely helpful as it had the update available, along with some pretty useful info about the actual process, and issues people were having:
https://dieseltunerpros.com/discussi...s-updater-here

My co-workers truck (also an '08) has a 1.03.1 software level (pretty sure that's what it was, it was higher then the version I uploaded), but the TV was the same.