3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I will be deleting mine. Small breather filter and the CCV itself, plugging the port at the turbo.

However, my studies have found mention that running hard and heavy with performance tunes may cause the service light to come on the overhead.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a quick question, i just did the delete on my 08 and wow the mileage i got was unbelievable. Over 1000kms on my 1st tank of fuel. The question i have though is will my egt's get high enough with the smarty junior that i will have to worry about installing a gauge? Just wondering before i spend more money. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need a pyro gauge to monitor your egt's. Its not that hard to do and a must for knowing when to shut the engine down.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:48 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Get yourself and EGT

Originally Posted by klx650a2
You need a pyro gauge to monitor your egt's. Its not that hard to do and a must for knowing when to shut the engine down.
I highly recommend and second this. Get yourself a gauge or electronic monitor to keep tabs on this. I don't drive mine much and work hard when used; my Edge with EGT was indespensible for me towing pretty heavy on SW3... Never got it much higher than 1200F for very long...
Old 08-27-2010, 03:11 PM

I would like to thank Blake for the great write up on Deletes this is what started me thinking about Mods on my recent purchase of 2008 SLT Bighorn 6.7, I started researching when my dodge suddenly had CEL pop-up / stuck open EGR Valve , your write up convinced me that even I could handle the deletes ( age 72 ) I will follow your inst. and disconnect EGR/ Cooler and Throttle, and install DPF pipe with Mads Smarty Jr. tuner, I will of course search the net for best prices on Smarty and DPF piped.

Thanks again very good tutorials
Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by diklohill
I would like to thank Blake for the great write up on Deletes this is what started me thinking about Mods on my recent purchase of 2008 SLT Bighorn 6.7, I started researching when my dodge suddenly had CEL pop-up / stuck open EGR Valve , your write up convinced me that even I could handle the deletes ( age 72 ) I will follow your inst. and disconnect EGR/ Cooler and Throttle, and install DPF pipe with Mads Smarty Jr. tuner, I will of course search the net for best prices on Smarty and DPF piped.

Thanks again very good tutorials
No,

Thank You Sir for the kind words!

This is the very reason why I made the tutorial.

If you have any other questions, by all mean, please ask, there is a great group of knowledgeable 6.7 guys here all willing to help out.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 AM

One quick question about the throttle body delete. How do you get to the last bolt that is under the servo gear box on the throttle body. I can't see it but it feels like it is up in the houseing on the left rear of the throttle body. Do you need a thinwall deep socket or what.
I have done all the rest of the deletes and this write up really helped. This the last piece if I could just get it off.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:53 AM

If I remember correctly I used a 1/4" drive thin wall socket and a bunch of patience.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:51 PM

I will give that a try. Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, how much smoke will one get after the deletes, particularly with the Smarty?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:56 AM

Very little on the lower tunes, it will increase some on the higher HP tunes, but is very manageable.

Additional go faster parts will, by nature of the beast, increase the output.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Very little on the lower tunes, it will increase some on the higher HP tunes, but is very manageable.

Additional go faster parts will, by nature of the beast, increase the output.
Understood, and thanks!

While this may go against the grain of most folks around here, I thoroughly dislike smoke and feel that all the spewing of smoke on our roads has really hurt us all in terms of all the emissions garbage we're currently fighting with these very deletes.

Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
carcreations (12-09-2021)
Old 09-22-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by kry226
Understood, and thanks!

While this may go against the grain of most folks around here, I thoroughly dislike smoke and feel that all the spewing of smoke on our roads has really hurt us all in terms of all the emissions garbage we're currently fighting with these very deletes.

Thanks again.
No problem.

I like to see a nice puff of diesel smoke every once in a while, but 99% of the time, Im running clean. Like I have always said before, and will continue to say, there is a time and a place.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Chapter President

With my rig I see very little smoke if any. I have run the #5 program for a while, and towing and even under heavy load, there is not a whiff to see. If you hammer it down from a rolling stop, you get some, but not enough to even worry about. Not like my 97, lites out..LOL...
Old 09-24-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
With my rig I see very little smoke if any. I have run the #5 program for a while, and towing and even under heavy load, there is not a whiff to see. If you hammer it down from a rolling stop, you get some, but not enough to even worry about. Not like my 97, lites out..LOL...
Good to know. But which delete method did you utilize?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right!