Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-6-7l-only-170/)
-   -   Android Users Look Inside - Poll (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-6-7l-only-170/android-users-look-inside-poll-280109/)

qzilla 11-06-2010 01:11 PM

Android Users Look Inside - Poll

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, by now most of you guys have seen what we are doing with the iTouch, iPhones and iPad’s.

(Actual Screen Shot)

Attachment 65768

I have heard some squawking here on some boards about an Android device as well as received a fair number of emails and our support team has also fielded some calls.

So if you guys are seriously interested in the product you have seen except for use with Android now is your time to show me how dominating the Droid market really is.

So cast your vote and lets see if an entire new app is worth creating for Android.

Lary Ellis (Top) 11-06-2010 01:36 PM

Android currently controls 47% of the market and climbing....so the question is...do YOU think it is worth investing in ;)

To me it is a no brainer, Android is sweeping the whole industry because the software platform is being placed in more than just smart phones..... this really put Apple back on their heels.

qzilla 11-06-2010 01:55 PM

Well obviously we didn't think so at least for the initial product release.

Now that the product is being released we are willing to look at it.

I see the numbers you posted and without going back and forth I can make those numbers skew to apples side as well. That is not my arguement though.

My arguement is simple.

There is no match for the iTouch at present time with any other operating system.

Apple has its issues of course but, they have THE BEST hardware devices period. No questions. There are few no cellular (internet only) Android devices out there and while growing they are still no match for the iTouch in both price and function. I have played with them a lot. Sure newer better devices will surely surface but, what happens when the iTouch goes to $99 or $69? Then what?

So what I am really wanting to know is in this industry how many people actually have a droid device right now. These would be 99% cellular devices.

If there are really that many of these truck owners that currently have a Droid device it might be worth it.

If I have to tell someone to go buy a device the iTouch is the hands down best answer for a LOT of reasons.

So what I am really trying to see is if there are a handful of people with Droids that do a lot of squeeking or is Droid really that dominant. These polls along with other polls we are doing should give us some insight to that.

We know based on pre-orders that the Apple platform is alive and well!

jthorpe 11-06-2010 02:19 PM

Qzilla, I know you have been here a long time and I can appreciate that. However, the iPhone and apple devices are losing market share fast. As of yesterday, the iPhone had a bit over 40% of the market share while Android gained up to about 30%. So you tell me, when will those lines cross? It's not going to be long. I follow this stuff because I come from that industry before I became a trooper. I was involved with the initial back end platform that AT&T used for the iPhone. My developers thought it was great at the time. Now when I talk to them, (I don't work with them anymore), I find that almost all of them have moved to some type of Android device and away from ATT. They are all about the Android stuff, and these guys are the experts, I promise you....

jthorpe 11-06-2010 02:20 PM

Apple has its issues of course but, they have THE BEST hardware devices period
Seriously? How about that little antenna issue Apple recently had?

Jim W 11-06-2010 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top) (Post 2870794)
Android currently controls 47% of the market and climbing....so the question is...do YOU think it is worth investing in ;)

To me it is a no brainer, Android is sweeping the whole industry because the software platform is being placed in more than just smart phones..... this really put Apple back on their heels.

I believe this is just like an electric pencil sharpener. Hot when they came out, but where are they now? Some thing new will come along and the droid will be obslete in 6 months time after that.
Jim

Blake Clark 11-06-2010 05:06 PM

Personally, I just love Android devices.

Makes Steve and company give us better iDevices. :D

But, yeah Zilla, I think either version would do you well.

Lary Ellis (Top) 11-06-2010 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jim W (Post 2870840)
I believe this is just like an electric pencil sharpener. Hot when they came out, but where are they now? Some thing new will come along and the droid will be obslete in 6 months time after that.
Jim

I have to disagree with your assessment..., my figures were incorrect earlier, it is 44% and climbing.... Here is an excerpt from an article on Yahoo news Friday Nov 5...

"Happy Birthday Android!

It seems only yesterday that Google’s Android platform began making execs at Apple sweat. Three years ago today it premiered on the market, and is now the OS of choice for 44 percent of Americans and steadily growing. And it’s not slowing down: Android has extended its reach to tablets, TVs, cars, and all while remaining open source. Don’t expect Google’s insanely popular platform to back down, either – it’s only been three short years, so there’s plenty to come. Here’s a short look back at the company’s milestones to date. "

You can read the entire article here, http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrend...obileoffspring

kthiemann 11-06-2010 06:57 PM

Personally, one of the reasons I went with my droid is that I positively despise ATT so an i-anything is not in my future. That being said I am very satisfied with the droid platform and have no regrets.

Blake Clark 11-06-2010 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by kthiemann (Post 2870897)
Personally, one of the reasons I went with my droid is that I positively despise ATT so an i-anything is not in my future. That being said I am very satisfied with the droid platform and have no regrets.

iPhone will not be chained to AT&T for much longer.

kthiemann 11-06-2010 07:03 PM

This is true, if what I've been reading is right around the time I can upgrade they should have the bugs worked out and maybe I'll reconsider, I guess time will tell on that one.

qzilla 11-06-2010 08:37 PM

Guys, I am on your side that Android is awesome. No doubt, the operating system is going places.

The problem is that RIGHT NOW, for these types of products there is no Android answer for an iTouch for the guy that doesn't already have a Droid device.

Sure if you have a Droid you love the droid and you should.

The arguement is not what is better, that is like a ford, gm or dodge debate, or a 2nd gen, 3rd gen debate etc.

I am not convinced that there are as many Droid users in this niche market as everyone wants to believe. I am also not convinced there are that many iPhone users in this niche.

That is the beauty of the Touch, its $180 brand new and everyone is within 20 minutes of being able to purchase one off the shelf.

The price point, the availability, the no strings attached (no att, no carrier at all), the price, the look, the feel, the function is positively unbeatable right now.

We also have the iPad as a bonus platform.

So I am not asking who is going to win, I am trying to figure out how many diesel truck owners who are also diesel performance junkies have the Droid devices.

No one has those numbers, not even yahoo. I do not believe the average customer we speak to day to day even has a smart phone.

That was my SOLE reason for going Apple to start with.

Also don't underestimate what I am doing. I have never been against a Droid app. I just want to make sure I don't spend ludicris amounts of money for nothing.

All I need is some way to confirm what you guys are saying and just like the poll asks, show me the Droid is ruling in numbers and you guys will have the coolest stuff available for these trucks in short order.

Trust me I have things I have not leaked a single bit that will be coming that are MUST haves for the majority of you.

I am just deciding if I need to go ahead and be running development on both platforms right now instead of later down the road.

Aaron4x4 11-12-2010 02:00 PM

I love my droid I had a Blackberry storm before and i hated it. Droid does!!

arcojet 11-14-2010 09:23 AM

Droid here, but that's the only option I have right now.

cLAYH 11-14-2010 10:53 AM

Droid here, my whole family signed on a contract together all at once, we got 5 droids and one Iphone4.

From what we can see the screen on the Iphone is MUCH better quality but that's about it from our point of view. My wife wanted the Iphone because she already had an Itouch and was all setup with with it and runs a Mac laptop. The rest of us run PCs because of the programs we want to run don't run on a Mac(not easily anyway).

The Iphone was $350 on a 3yr contract and and the droids were $100 so that was an influence on the decision.

Apple dropped the ball up here on the release. You had to sit on a waiting list for a month to get an I4. I had my droid the next day, my wife had to wait a month. This ticked many people off and drove them to the droid.

Another thing that shied me away from the Iphone was that I wanted a full slideout keyboard. My big fat fingers just don't work with the "virtual" keyboard. I need some tactile feel to it. EVERYONE has an Iphone, getting the droid meant you were actually different, Apple only makes one version of the Iphone, they all look the same, blah!, the Android gives you choices of a few different makers and models.

Also Apple restricts who can release software(Apps) for the Iphone. Goggle developed the voice app for talking long distance over the internet on your cell phone without incurring long distance charges, Apple blocked that app for the Iphones. I'm not likely to use it, however I see it now like the VCR debate back in the 80s. Beta was the better product but Sony didn't release the patent on Beta just VHS. They wanted exclusive rights to the "better" product. 10years later beta went extinct because everyone else was releasing movies in VHS format because that's what everyone had. People didn't care that Beta was better, VHS was cheaper and easier to get so thats what they bought. I see some strong similarities in the Iphone/Droid market right now. Not saying that Iphone will go extinct, it has way too big of a following already for that to happen. But they've already created the market for data phones, it will be easy for Google move in on it.

Is my wife's' Iphone a better product? Definitely! 3.5Xtimes better to justify the price? Not so sure about that...