3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Air intake for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air intake for 2010

I have a 2010 2500 Quadcab with 5k miles, I'm looking for an aftermarket air filter/intake setup and am having trouble finding one for the 2010s. What's everyone using? Had a K&N on my '04 with a Hemi and it worked very well. BTW, I'm new to this forum so forgive me of any sins I may commit. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:33 PM

So no one has a cold air intake for a 2010???
Old 08-26-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To be perfectly honest the stock intakes on these trucks are pretty good. They flow a lot of air, and its doubtful you would see or feel a difference at all. Your money would be better spent cleaning up the intake horn.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:15 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
On my 2007, I use an S & B and really like it. It was relatively inexpensive and now I can hear the turbo and find value in it for that reason alone.

There is a large divider, cross section looks like this (+), in the tube going to the elbow on the turbo inlet. There are some definite improvements that can be made in this area. However, I have deletes and a Smarty as well to help take advantage.

CAI alone is probably not really worth it.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
There is also a theory out that lowering the intake temps on a non deleted truck causes more EGR flow to compensate for the cooler air temps. This in turn could lead to an increase in regen cycles.

Personally Im not sure if it holds water or not.

Theory discussion now open:
Old 08-26-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
There is also a theory out that lowering the intake temps on a non deleted truck causes more EGR flow to compensate for the cooler air temps. This in turn could lead to an increase in regen cycles.

Personally Im not sure if it holds water or not.

Theory discussion now open:
I buy it... The best reason I can think is the OEM intercooler. They went smaller in 09?. Didn't that make for fewer regens, fewer turbo issues? None of the EGR vehicle intercoolers are very large.

So on the same note, don't replace your IC unless your deleted.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 PM

They did go smaller at some point, it think it was early 09. I know mine is approximately the same size of the 5.9. Maybe its an advantage to the early 6.7's

On the converse, wouldnt one think cooler intake temps lead to a better, and cleaner, combustion event and there for less soot?

Of course, logically, like you said, the switch in the intercoolers may have contributed to the remedy the early 6.7s (07.5 and 08) bluetec blues. Not too often you hear about the 09's having major issues.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:13 PM

I meant 09..

Cooler air is denser, thus more O2 in cooler air, so you can burn more fuel at say 30 psi of boost at 80*, vs 30 psi of boost at 140*.

While the combustion may be cleaner, to a point, higher EGT's means more passive regen and less active regen.

I know that if I owned a 6.7 I wouldn't mod anything dealing with intake/exhaust temps unless it was deleted. The 6.7 is modern form is reliable for a heavily emissions laden vehicle. It took Dodge a few years to get there, but its working.

Now airflow improvements like grid heater relocate, etc wouldn't make a big difference, but then again maybe they would.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
While the combustion may be cleaner, to a point, higher EGT's means more passive regen and less active regen.
I would have to say that is the key right there. Lower the intake temps, lower the EGT's. Lower the EGT's....

More regen.

I concur. Leave it alone unless you are gonna delete.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 AM

Well, thanks for the input. Can you delete the DPF without a tuner?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:44 AM

On a 2010, I have no clue. It can be done on a third gen, but the '10 is a whole new ball game.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:42 PM

As far as the original question goes the 09 S&B setup will fit a 2010 but it will throw an airflow code. The 2010 computer is even more finicky than the previous computers. Any air intake that will work code free on an 2010 in stock form won't flow much more than the stock unit. H&S changes the air flow parameters in their delete tunes to allow for higher flowing filter systems. The newer style aFE Mega Cannons will also work if you do the H&S tunes but the bracket that is included to mount it to the radiator won't fit.

Also,
Dodge changed to the tiny IC early in '08.

And yes you can do a DPF delete on a 2010 using Sims but their isn't alot of good reasons to anymore. Dodge has these trucks running alot better as far as the DPF goes. The EGR system still dumps alot of soot into the motor leading to soot buildup and turbo issues not to mention hurting mileage.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:19 AM
The Guru

I would stay away from the pre-oiled air filters. They tend to leave a nice oil mess all over the compressor impeller. I'm leaving mine stock, ran the stock air box on my 02. It keeps the turbo the cleanest out all of the air boxes that I've run over the years.

Of course the 6.7L emission stuff is kinda like driving around without using an air filter, but at that point the air filter is just for the preventing turbocharger fod damage.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 08 has the smaller IC.

I have been reading alot on intakes for the 6.7 and it seems to be up to the owner as to whether they are worth it or not. The stock air box is supposed to be good for 500hp, but I cringe at panel filters and gaskets leaking. But there was a filter test done in the TDR and having the aftermarket filters drop into the stock box, like the cone/panel was more restrictive to air flow in the box. It was tested for intake air temp too and most of the aftermarket air systems caused higher intake air temps. More flow, but hotter.

So a friend of mine made us both a PSM style snorkel for the OEM box until I feel comfortable with anything else. Same reason I run the ScottyII in my 97, cooler air from outside the engine bay.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
My 08 has the smaller IC.
Whats the build date on it?

Quick Reply: Air intake for 2010