3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

6.7, torque loss w/manual trans. - why

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:45 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 ******
I would rather have 40ft lbs less and keep my standard. ( I have not been happy with my past truck's auto's )
Ditto, and ditto your other post after this one.

The auto's still sold a bunch more than the manuals so that argument does not hold water very well.
That wasn't my experience, nor that of many others here. Why is it that so many people are dissatisfied with their 47 & 48 RE's (after a HP upgrade) tan the people with STOCK clutches on NV's, & G-56's??
I very much specifically bought a manual this time because of how disgusted I was with my old auto. I have a feeling I am also in the majority with this line of thinking too.

Just my opinion, I'm not sled pulling with it or anything......
Old 12-04-2006, 11:50 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
Uhhhhh. MADE by Getrag:
http://dodgeram.info/2005/index.html
Old 12-04-2006, 11:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess is DC detune the engine for warranty reasons. It's a whole lot cheaper to detune the engine than to allocate extra dollars per vehicle for warranty repairs.

MikeyB
Old 12-04-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whoa! you guys are all over the place with this thread, torque rating is based on so much more than the component, it is a list of factors.
torque rating in autos is based on T/C torque multiplication, clutch holding ablities, and most important of all parking SPRAG holding!
G56 and NV5600 are rated as such due to the factory clutch limitations and NO PARKING SPRAG! so DC trusts you to put in 1st gear.
IMO, D.wigg had it right in that it is mostly market, you must flood he market with high priced opinions or they risk no consumer feed back. DC has a five year production contract with AISIN for the 68. time will tell how good the trans is.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by P.J
Uhhhhh. MADE by Getrag:

The only reason the G was originally in the designation was Getrag had the contract to build the transmission for MB. It has always been an MB designed transmission built to their specs. The transmission is no longer a G56 in the parts reference due to the confusion. The designation is now M56 as the production facilities are now in Brazil by a company co-owwned by MB.

The major reason for the derating of the manual is the DMF and lack of TQ management on the manual trucks. The autos are a full electronic trans that can be TQ managed. While the manual trans is capabe of more, the DMF is at its max for longevity so the only way to keep it there is derate the power.

Looks like the end is in sight for the gear jammers.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
The only reason the G was originally in the designation was Getrag had the contract to build the transmission for MB. It has always been an MB designed transmission built to their specs. The transmission is no longer a G56 in the parts reference due to the confusion. The designation is now M56 as the production facilities are now in Brazil by a company co-owwned by MB.

The major reason for the derating of the manual is the DMF and lack of TQ management on the manual trucks. The autos are a full electronic trans that can be TQ managed. While the manual trans is capabe of more, the DMF is at its max for longevity so the only way to keep it there is derate the power.

Looks like the end is in sight for the gear jammers.

What is DMF?
Thanx.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:44 PM
P.J
Banned

Dual Mass Flywheel?

That can be taken care of too.

I doubt ANY thing (but catastrophic failure) will add up to the $4,000 PLUS that is required to properly build an auto.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by P.J
Dual Mass Flywheel?

That can be taken care of too.

I doubt ANY thing (but catastrophic failure) will add up to the $4,000 PLUS that is required to properly build an auto.

When the DMF (Dual mass flywheel) goes under power it can and will take out the flywheel, clutch, bell housing/adapter, and the transmission. All that SHOULD be warranty, BUT, who wants to chance it with the current state of warranties? That was $6500 on a Chevy I know of, out of pocket, power upgrades present.

What does an SB conversion for the DMF cost? Add to that the power upgrade to get it even with the auto trucks and I would guess it will be pretty close to $4k.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:24 PM
wap

I THINK the NV has a .73 overdive and the G56 has a .79
Old 12-04-2006, 05:03 PM

Talking

Reliability--------Longevity--------And SIMPLY the Fact IS, FORD and GM are pretty much only offering a Auto Tranny! WHY????? $$$$$$$$$$$-----Dodge would rather sell the new Auto than sell the Manual. Another reason------Out of Warranty Issues------Servicing--------All this adds up in the pocketbook of DCX. It's all a game of the $$! $$ Rules this world and the world of the Big 3! That's it, end of Discussion!

I have owned both the NV5600 and the G56! G56 Gets my vote for shifting better. Pulling better at lower speeds and Higher! Better RPM Range for Highway Towing with lower EGT's! ------------- AND For Gess sake, please stop bringing up the Sledpulling factor into these Manual conversations!! PLEASE-----That's all you preach! 99.5% of the Manual G56 Owners use there trucks for what they are supposed to be used for. Not High Stress Pulling of a RedNeck Infarction that is designed to STOP a MOVING OBJECT NO MATTER WHAT THAT OBJECT IS!!!!!!!!!!! ------- Prayer "Forgive the NV5600 Owners for there Manual Tranny Sin's o'Lord??! They do not realize the shame they place upon this community with the breaking of such NON-Part's Avaliable Tranny's!----------AMEN!"

JB
Old 12-04-2006, 05:50 PM
P.J
Banned

.......Amen..........
Old 12-04-2006, 08:28 PM

Bump for the prayer!!!! All must Read!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Uhhhhh. MADE by Getrag:

That link is dead...

I have been looking on Getrags site and they make no mention of the G56 anywhere?

*EDIT*.......

Amen!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:58 PM

Its obvious that the stress of sled-pulling on a tranny of anykind, brings out the weak spots the transmission, Kind of like a forcast of what will happen 100-200 thousand miles down they road, when in normal operation.
It should probably be part of DCs testing before production.

As for the lower rated 6-speed, its complete bs. I could see both sides of the arguement, it may be that they found the limit of the tranny already, or marketing, either way complete bs
Old 12-04-2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
I very much specifically bought a manual this time because of how disgusted I was with my old auto. I have a feeling I am also in the majority with this line of thinking too.

Just my opinion, I'm not sled pulling with it or anything......

I agree 100%

Quick Reply: 6.7, torque loss w/manual trans. - why