3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

6.7, torque loss w/manual trans. - why

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tbone
Are you talking about the Chassis Cab? You must be because it is the only one with the 6 speed auto. The whole package is detuned compared to the regular trucks.
Incorrect. the chassis cab comes with an Aisin 6 speed auto, and the Heavy duty trucks will come with an Orion 68RFE 6sp automatic
Old 12-03-2006, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Getrag makes one of, if not the best, manual in the auto industry. The G56 is superior in EVERY way to the NV5600 (I owned them both) and the reason that the auto is rated higher is exactly the reason that someone mentioned before. The auto option is so mucn more money (like the Duramaxes) that they need to offer some sort of performance justification for the price. I would never buy an auto on anything other than a semi (and even that is an Auto or Ultra-shift tranny) because of the need to double-clutch each shift (a nightmare for anyone who hasn't done it).

The G56 will definitely handle more power in stock form before giving up and is much easier to upgrade (just get a new clutch) than the auto.

But to answer your question; it's all marketing.

Are u saying that Getrag makes the G56???
Old 12-03-2006, 10:38 PM

Yes. That's what the "G" stands for. At least that was my understanding??
Old 12-03-2006, 10:43 PM

Yes. That's what the "G" stands for. At least that was my understanding??

Now I'm confused, I swear it is made by Mercedes Benz???????
Old 12-03-2006, 10:48 PM

NOT made by Getrag.........

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=93225
Old 12-03-2006, 11:03 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
That doesn't really make any sense. Manual tranmissions are much more capable of handling high power than are autos. Autos have a lot more that can go wrong and are much more suceptable to breakage than are manuals. Also, it's no mistake that now all 4 truck manufacturers have higher ratings for their EXPENSIVE autos. They want people who want power to get the autos so they can make more money. Just simple economics. It's also one more thing that the driver cannot control. Same reason that so many exotics even (e.g., Lambo, Ferrari) are going to 95% "E-gear" or computer controlled manuals. That way the computer has the final say, not the driver and thus cannot do anything that the manufacturer did not intend.
I believe that either a manual or automatic can be designed and built to handle any amount of power, and they each come with a specific horsepower/torque "rating" assigned to them by the engineers that designed them. That is the reason for most of the Ram's previous transmissions being succeeded. As the power wars escalated, each transmission became unsuitable to handle the power of the latest engine, thus it was beefed up or replaced. For example, the NV4500 was not rated to handle the power of the HO engine in 2001, so it was replaced by the NV5600 for that application. We all know we can add 100 HP to our truck and our own NV4500 will probably live through it, but the rating assigned by the engineers rules. Warranty costs are probably part of the "rating" equation too.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:19 PM

Determination as to what a tranny will hold is not just how much power is run through it. A determining factor is also what it is used for. Basically Chrysler is saying that the G56 cant handle big torque with a big load behind it so they derate the engine (as a bandaid) to use their substandard tranny with it.

They used to do it all the time with the autos. Now the autos are made to hold a little more so you see the power rating being more with those.

When I bought my 99 2500 Auto is was rated at 215hp/420ft lbs and the same year model in manual was 235hp/460ft lbs. How was it marketing then? The auto's still sold a bunch more than the manuals so that argument does not hold water very well.

Ask DDryden about how he grenaded 2 G56's back to back sledpulling.
The only weakness that we have seen with the NV5600 is the shaft breaking while sledpulling but that happens with every other tranny without billet parts.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:55 AM

Could it be that the auto is rated higher, because thats how much it takes to turn compared to the standard, that way both options are putting the same amount of power to the ground?? Just a thought
Old 12-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Chapter President

tufamc might have a point there, it could be taking that much more power to match the power put down with the manuals. On the 01s the autos probably sold more because there where more people wanting autos. (I'm surprised there have been manuals for as long as there has) It could also be that the engineers are designing something for unexperienced people to drive power wise. Yet still be able to say ours makes XXX hp and YYY torque.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:22 AM

The auto is rated higher, because the Torque converter can slip.
With a manual you have no slip, so its easier to damage parts.
If you remember way back, in the 70's they did the same thing. Most big blocks and Hemi's were only avil with an auto.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by tufamc
Could it be that the auto is rated higher, because thats how much it takes to turn compared to the standard, that way both options are putting the same amount of power to the ground?? Just a thought

Good point tufamc, My standard fells like it puts down the power 100% better then my 01 auto.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:32 AM

Trannies

Originally Posted by tufamc
I believe that the horsepower and torque number listed for the egines are brake horsepower which is at the flywheel, I wonder what the rear wheel horsepower is for both vehicles setup up the same except for tranny.

L8r,..............dogger
Old 12-04-2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by quadstar
I wish they would have kept the nv5600. I owned two of those trannys, and now own one g56. I still prefer the nv, the g56 isn't bad yet, but that thing just refuses to shift nice and smooth. It is a bear to get out of reverse
Is this NV5600 to G56 change the reason for the final gearing difference from 2005 to 2006?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy 6
Is this NV5600 to G56 change the reason for the final gearing difference from 2005 to 2006?
I don't know. Is the G56 also a .75 overdrive?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by welndmn
The auto is rated higher, because the Torque converter can slip.
With a manual you have no slip, so its easier to damage parts.
If you remember way back, in the 70's they did the same thing. Most big blocks and Hemi's were only avil with an auto.
If you slip a modern "lock up" T/C you have a problem, if you slip a clutch you have problems and it can slip.

All the Chrysler Big Blocks and Hemi's had 4 speeds available right up until the demise of the Hemi in '71 and the last big block in "I think" 1974.

Quick Reply: 6.7, torque loss w/manual trans. - why