3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

6.7 silencer ring removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:55 AM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6.7 silencer ring removal

take off the air intake, then the intercooler boot(11mm socket). after that take off the clamp on the bottom of the compressor housing which holds two wires. after that then take the 11mm socket and start loosening the clamp that holds the compressor housing (make sure that you hold it steady while loosening so you dont mess your fins up and that the clamp is totally loose!!!!! before you try to pull it off). now remove the housing.
Name:  178.jpg
Views: 8915
Size:  83.8 KB
what you see here are the pins that you need to drill out... there are three of them that hold it on. Take a center punch and try to punch it(kinda hard because they are rounded at the top.. so try your best). make sure that you dont drill to deep. after drilling them out flip the housing over and take something somewhat soft to drive out the silencer housing.
Name:  182.jpg
Views: 8458
Size:  164.5 KB
just a random pic of the turbo with the housing off
Name:  184.jpg
Views: 6559
Size:  42.5 KB
this is the silencer housing or whatever you may call it..
Name:  187.jpg
Views: 6468
Size:  57.3 KB
here is one of my crappy drill marks
Name:  191.jpg
Views: 8494
Size:  145.1 KB
now that you have taken the housing out, deff.. make sure your housing is clean of all shaving ect... before putting it back on. when you are putting it back on make sure you alighn the lil hole at the bottom of the turbo housing in its spot or else the housing aint totally on and wont seat right. once its on you can start tightening the clamp and make sure the wheel spins freely.. tighten everything back up, put your two wires back in the clamp put your boot back on and your intake...
Name:  190.jpg
Views: 5960
Size:  51.7 KB
another random pic...

if i left anything out feel free to speak up.. if any question you can also pm me..
The following users liked this post:
jthorpe (11-07-2010)
Old 10-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the purpose of the silencer ring,and what results do you get by taking it off?my other truck is a 6.7 thats why im asking.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Soot For Brains!

the true purpose of our silencer ring is to help funnel the flow of air into our compressor wheel and less'n the noise of the the turbo whistle. they say if you take this off it disrupts the airflow which makes it less effecient in collecting air and they say its like a 10hp decrease.. well truely i havent noticed a difference in how fast its spooling or any trouble of that nature because of me taking it out or lack of h.p. altho im not sure if id really feel the difference in a loss of 10hp.. one thing for sure is it deff. made my turbo sing and im glad i did it.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Gotta love a cheap (free) mod.

Not sure if it has any benefits other than doing it for the sake of doing it.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Soot For Brains!

im glad i have your interest blake, i think that youd like this mod. also this is what i intended to buy because i was kinda scared not knowing if itd make a big difference in performance or not but i like how it is so im not going to change it. check out the website

http://www.wccprodieselperformance.com/WCC_Pro_Diesel_Performance/WCC_Products/Pages/modified_turbo_ring_$75.html

this was actually a very easy task and shouldnt take anybody more then two hours depp. on how long it takes to drill out the pens and to run and buy some more beer..
Old 10-09-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
in the pics,, you best clean off all that corrosion
Old 10-09-2010, 04:37 PM

Well I dont drink so I can maybe even cut that in half....

Old 10-09-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
keep the ring so when you sell the truck the new owner can get the efficiency back
Old 10-09-2010, 10:17 PM

On the 7.3 powerstrokes they had foil on the the tube from the turbo into the intercooler. It was to quiet the turbo. There was a sticker on the door frame that said tampering with noise reduction devices was prohibited.

So in that case the gimmick had no effect on performance but it was done to keep certain of the general population happy.

I suspect this might be the same way whether anyone with Dodge admits it or not.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Soot For Brains!

Originally Posted by bonus
in the pics,, you best clean off all that corrosion
during the winter months after harvest time i usually put her in the shop and do a good good cleaning inside and out.
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Well I dont drink so I can maybe even cut that in half....
yeah thats a good possibility and i have to admit that i like to b.s with my buddies when im working on something.

Originally Posted by carl48
keep the ring so when you sell the truck the new owner can get the efficiency back
yeah everything that ive deleted or taken off the trucks i always keep because im a nice guy like that lol. i too would hate to buy something that somebody has deleted and not kept for me to put back on.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 PM

I've got to admit you've got me interested but I think I'd have to get a 2nd Intake Housing just in case I need to get some warrantee work (or screw up the removal). So far everything I've done with the exception of the Smarty JR footprint can be undone with out too much hassel.
Dana
Old 10-10-2010, 08:43 PM

its definately a pickup truck thing. there is not 1 single highway tractor, genset, or powerunit that has that mickey mouse funnel in the turbo inlet.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Well Ive yet to see an aftermarket turbo with one either.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:41 PM

Yeah Guys, keep twisting my arm.... I've been reading up on the ring delete and while I've found some Nay Sayers due to the supposed airflow disruption I have yet to find any posts that say they crashed the Turbo or reverted after the removal. ****, you guys just keep creating work!!!! LOL....
Old 10-10-2010, 09:52 PM

I'm not an authority on the subject, but that won't stop me from uttering an opinion.

I honestly believe it's just their for noise laws, requirements, and to make sure that the folks who want a quiet truck, get one. All my 87-93 Mustangs had an air intake silencer designed to keep "performance" noise down.

I realize the distinction here is that they say it has another purpose besides noise reduction, but this is a forced induction vehicle, not naturally aspirated.

As others have stated, who can even feel 10hp in their 6.7?

You would be hard pressed, I believe, to feel 10hp in a 150hp car.

Quick Reply: 6.7 silencer ring removal