3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

**** check engine light

Old 01-29-2008, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**** check engine light

I have the 6.7 and my engine light keeps coming on. It has done this since new. The dealer said not to worry about it but it comes on every couple of weeks. It came on yesterday on my way home and it is staying on this time it looks like. My system check says ok should I be worried or wait until the next oil change to have it checked?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 PM

have them scan the code if you cant, and see what it is. this site is a lot of help and has a lot useful info. check the code and post it here. someone will chime in to help out
Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 PM

Well if your dealer says "Not to Worry about it" then they are STUPID. I happen be a diesel tech at a Dodge dealer and we would never tell a customer not to worry about it, in fact we would tell them that they need to bring it in right away. These 6.7s have lot of different system monitors that if any of them are not working properly can and will activate the light and could also cause major problems with your engine if not handled quickly and properly. Since the light is now on constantly you REALLY NEED TO TAKE IT IN. Also if you want you can cycle the key on and off (not starting or cranking the engine) 3 times and look at your odometer to get any possible codes that are present on your computer. I know that one common code that acts similar to what you are describing is the code p2622 (believe is the correct number) which is turbocharger boost pressure not detected mechanical which now STAR (which is our hot line for warranty and help) is pretty much replacing the turbo when this code comes up. It is very important that after you get your problem fixed that you have the "High Idle" feature turned on at the dealership (because its the only way it can be done) to use when idling for more than 20 minutes, but remember that you still need to go drive the devil out of it after it idles for long periods of time and by that i mean driving for at least 45 minutes to an hour at 60-75mph to burn out any possible soot build up. And you also need to ALWAYS have your exhaust brake on all the time, and no unlike some believe it does not hurt your mileage in fact it helps keep your turbo working properly by keeping it clean. Wish you the best and i will suggest again that you get your truck in soon to be checked out, and probably not the same one that told you not to worry about your check engine light they sound like they dont have a clue.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:47 PM

Also feel free to PM me if you want to know more about the code that comes up, I will try to help you out as much as possible.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:53 PM

I just did the key cycle and no code came up just -----
Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 PM

I forgot to say Thanks BigTXDually
Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 PM

well if your light is still on it needs to be scanned, your light is probably related to one of the other modules in the truck, common one are the TIPM,and WCM. These can make your light come on but not give you a code when you cycle the key, when you do that it only shows you codes for the PCM/ECM. Even though its probably not too severe since its not showing you a code on your dash you should still have it scanned at a dealership ASAP.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 PM

Thanks I will see if I can get in tomorrow
Old 01-30-2008, 09:17 PM

Light stayed on during the drive to work, about 50 miles, I left to check on a job and the light was not on. When I got back to the office I called a dealer that I have not been to and told him what was going on. He said it is probably something minor and I made an appointment for next week so they can check it.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:05 AM

What year model is your truck?? Today I found out that there are new flashes for both the 07 and 08 6.7s. The 07s ECM flash part number end in "AX" now and the 08s end in "AP". With what you are describing to me a simple flash could solve your problem, so check it out and take it to the dealer and let them update you ECM flash and hopefully that will be all it takes to fix your problem. Good luck and let me know what you find out.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:09 AM

The light was coming on in my '08 as well. Took it to the dealer last week and they updated the flash and said "now you shouldn't have any more issues with the light coming on"...HOWEVER, the light now came on again last night so I've got to take it back in! FLASH UPDATE DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. This is my first Dodge...I'm a bit discouraged since it only has a little over 3000 miles on it, and I hope these "system" issues are not a sign of things to come later in the truck's life. I'll post what the dealer comes up with...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to emissions on diesels!