3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wishes in the Duallydog Well

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wishes in the Duallydog Well

I want to get this out there and see if I can remember what all I want to do to my truck off hand. I may have to go find the paper that I had written all of this down on.
Performance. (engine)
Already have straight pipe and tip, quad intake and exhaust. I think starting with a base of 250 rwhp and 450 rwtq then add probably 25hp and 50 ft/lbs we're at 275hp and 500tq then add 100hp and 200tq from the Quad. 375hp and 700 tq. Now we get to the fun part. All figures are rough rounded up and down. Any body want to give more accurate figures? Or dispell that putting this and that together will not add up to 2+2=4? Most of it will be done when things get out of warranty.
Hood Scoops- 5hp and 15tq
Banks charge-air cooler 50hp and 120tq
propane tuned for mileage 40hp and 90 tq
water/meth tuned like propane 20hp and 50 tq
Twin turbos (low rough estimate) 50hp and 100tq
Total 540hp and 1075 ft/lbs of earth rotating torque. Turn the Quad down to 60 and tow anything.

Extra engine components
F.A.S.S
Extra oiling system. (Can't remember off hand what its called, the ones when you open Diesel Power Mag and read 30,000 miles between oil changes.)

Performance (otherwise)
Already have holes cut in my bumper, maybe a few more.
Air wing (Towing Deflector)
Deflectors on the side of my bed. (there is a flat spot behind the cab were the bed flares for the width.)
Gear vendors over/under drive.

I figured starting at 16.5 mpg empty 13.5 with the light trailer and 12.0 with my big trailer with everything combined I could get 29-20-19. I doubt I would be able to get that high, but I should be able to reach my goals of 20-22, 14.5 and 13.5 fairly consistently.

Ease of Use
Cut a trough in my flat bed. (Has a well instead, got to jack the trailer 6" further)
Air bags. (Fully incab adjustable, just the back wheels though)
Put the muffler back on and put a dump infront of the muffler. (Sneak up were I want to and scare ricers the rest of the time.)

Interior
MP3 Player
Shift cap with my brand.
Wood panels.
Overhead console
On dash center console mount for Quad Commander. (I'm thinking wood like oak that surrounds the Commander and maybe have a door on the front to hide when warranty becomes an issue.)

Exterior looks
Move Cummins emblem. (somewhere like the 06 have or around the RAM 3500)
LED lights all around
Chrome nerf bars or matching color diamondplate running boards.
Color running light covers.
Paint bed and bumper to match.
Mud flaps with my business on them.

Let's see what all I forgot and will add later.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Chapter President

Oh ya. Stronger clutch and air horn.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:59 PM

[QUOTE=Duallydog]

[QUOTE]

I am going to be the first to step out on a limb. I would not do either the LPG or the Meth. I have used both and they do work great, but I am not a fan of either of them.
I dislike LPG worse so we can start there. There are some newer good systems out there, but I have seen more blown up engines from LPG than anything else. THe characteristics of it are too wishy washy. On warm days it expands on cold days it turns into more of a liquid. I have also never actually seen a mileage gain from it. You need to remember that it is also a fuel, it just flashes earlier than diesel so it advances the timing and then burns like the rest of the diesel fuel. You need to figure this in along with the diesel fuel you burn to calculate mileage.

Meth also works like propane and actually has very similar flash characteristics, but it is more stable. The problem is that you can use only very small amounts of the mixture at a time and from what I understand you can't just leave a full tank under the hood all the time. Heat and exposure to oxygen over time seems to degrade the quality of the alcohol. This is from friends that use it in race cars. It burns much like propane in the cylinder. Also it scares me to have it mixed in a plastic tank because if it ever catches fire you will burn a lot of stuff up before you ever see it.

Now I am not totally against both of these, I just don't like them on a daily driver. I think for racing and dynoing you are ok.

I personally would go with injectors instead of the propane or meth. That is just me though.

Just my $.02
Old 04-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Chapter President

I am actually not looking for power out of the propane and water/meth. I want the water/meth to just cool. I have found cheaper propane so even if the propane does not add pure mileage it will at least in theory cheapen the diesel.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Chapter President

And and and. Fog lamps. I have four holes cut in the front of my bumper, I think it would be cool to have four fogs in front. And there is enough bumper on the side that I could cut a 4" hole on both sides and be able to have side lights for seeing whats beside me in the dark.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Chapter President

And chrome door handles and rocker panels and chrome/stainless steel on the mirrors. What no arguments on my power figures?
Old 04-15-2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Duallydog
Hood Scoops- 5hp and 15tq
More like, Zero HP, and if it is a working scoop, maybe 20* less EGT at speed, and same EGT when towing...
Banks charge-air cooler 50hp and 120tq
More like, 10HP, or near Zero HP. Possible 40Lbs torque

Are you susing it for mileage or HP? if it's for mileage, then Zero HP, if it's for power, the most of 40 w/meth and water before you have serious problems. 'pane for power is not the brightest idea

Water/Meth w/o 'pane is more like 50/75 hp/tq, or at higher power levels 75/100

Twin turbos (low rough estimate) 50hp and 100tq
More like 100/200 hp/tq

You have to be overfueled to get twins to work right. Twins by themselves will not add HP...

Total 540hp and 1075 ft/lbs of earth rotating torque. Turn the Quad down to 60 and tow anything.
What about some more power upgrades? You are seriously lacking in that department.. TST box? MP-8? Injectors?

Extra engine components
F.A.S.S
Extra oiling system. (Can't remember off hand what its called, the ones when you open Diesel Power Mag and read 30,000 miles between oil changes.)
Screw the FASS, get the Fass II, and screw the oil system thing. Just change your oil every 3,000 miles. You will get your oil very dirty with all the performance mods...

Gear vendors over/under drive.
Sure, if you want it, and to make things clear,, it's an OverDrive, OR UnderDrive,, not both. Does Gear Vendors even make a Over Under? I thought they only made OverDrives, and US Gear made over/Unders... ?

I figured starting at 16.5 mpg empty 13.5 with the light trailer and 12.0 with my big trailer with everything combined I could get 29-20-19. I doubt I would be able to get that high, but I should be able to reach my goals of 20-22, 14.5 and 13.5 fairly consistently.
Screw that. Your towing mileage will go wayy down, your empty mileage may come up 2MPG, and light trailer will stay the same, or go down.

Ease of Use
Cut a trough in my flat bed. (Has a well instead, got to jack the trailer 6" further)
Air bags. (Fully incab adjustable, just the back wheels though)
Put the muffler back on and put a dump infront of the muffler. (Sneak up were I want to and scare ricers the rest of the time.)
All that is personal. Stacks are scarier I think.. Loud is just as obnoxious as straight piped ricers...

...MP3 Player... Shift cap with my brand... Wood panels... Overhead console... On dash center console mount for Quad Commander. (I'm thinking wood like oak that surrounds the Commander and maybe have a door on the front to hide when warranty becomes an issue.)
You are getting into the TMS issue (Too Much Stuff). Sell the Quad, get the TST...

Move Cummins emblem. (somewhere like the 06 have or around the RAM 3500) LED lights all around Chrome nerf bars or matching color diamondplate running boards. Color running light covers. Paint bed and bumper to match. Mud flaps with my business on them.
Again with the TMS issue, but it's your truck.

Look at stoick trucks.. No matter if they are 2yrs, or 20yrs old, they still look greeat, and retain resale value,, however, modded trucks, hardly ever bring in what a stock truck would. Just keep that in mind. You are going to invest $30k into your truck, and will have to sell it for less than a stock truck?

My $.02
Merrick
Old 04-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Chapter President

Finally someone questioned my numbers. My plan is not to sell it, it is paid for and when will I ever have another chance to have the ultimate truck. My truck is unique as it is but why not have it envyable. The power numbers I got for the Banks Technicooler were derated from what they are saying it will add. What would you recomend turbo wise? What is the difference between the Fass and the Fass II?

Last edited by Duallydog; 04-17-2006 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Needed more