Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   why does my boost gauge needle vibrate? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/why-does-my-boost-gauge-needle-vibrate-66841/)

RonP 04-23-2005 05:52 PM

why does my boost gauge needle vibrate?

Ok, I put gauges in my truck many months ago and it has done it for as long as I can remember. I am just finally sick of it. The needle starts to vibrate a little over 10psi and gets worse as it goes up. The worst spot is around 21lbs and at the same time I here a funny sputtering noise. I have checked and ckecked for leaks. It is an autometer ultralite gauge.
any suggestions?

Thanks

nickleinonen 04-23-2005 08:37 PM

my ultralite makes no odd noises/vibrations at all...

where do you have your gauge hooked to? mine is drilled/tapped into the intake horn.

a snubber could help the viberation, but will slow down the gauge reaction.. i do remember when i installed my ultralite, the gauge looked like it had a built in snubber. there was a very small hole at the gauge end [looked less than 0.030"]

ricky3 04-23-2005 11:55 PM

I also have ultralite boost gauge and have the same problem...just thought my gauge was a bad one. I would be interested if there is a fix as well.

Jeff K 04-24-2005 09:23 AM

I have a DiPricol boost gauge that buzzes and really drives me crazy. I am not sure what causes it. :(

Dodgezilla 04-24-2005 09:36 AM

My Westach moves up and down smoothly with no buzzing or wavering...

DodgeRam3500 04-24-2005 11:39 AM

I have an ISSPRO boost gauge and it is nice and smooth makes no noise at all.

White00 04-24-2005 11:50 AM

I have had ultralites in my truck for about two years now and never had a problem with them. Boost gauge is smooth moving and quiet. I have it installed in the intake horn as well.

ADAM

pmtg 04-24-2005 01:58 PM

The rattle is caused by pressure fluctuations and can be cured by installing a pressure snubber on the back of the gauge. Basically, the opening in the back of gauge is reduced to a very small diameter.

I purchased one from McMaster-Carr for my '02 and it never rattled again.

hope this helps,

Pat

Forrest Nearing 04-24-2005 02:09 PM

there shouldn't be any fluctuations!!! are you guys experiencing compressor surge? try removing the silencer ring from the turbo

Mark Thomas 04-24-2005 02:13 PM

I'd say your guage has a leak or something, return it for a new one and see if it goes away.

pmtg 04-24-2005 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
there shouldn't be any fluctuations!!! are you guys experiencing compressor surge? try removing the silencer ring from the turbo
but doesnt there have to be, to an extent? as the intake valve opens, there is a volume of low pressure sitting there waiting for the high pressure (boost) to fill in the cylinder. then repeat that for each of the 5 remaining cylinders, and multiple times for high revs.

on my '02 the gauge was hooked to the intake manifold where the pipe plug was. maybe its close proximity to the intake valve caused it to rattle, especially at higher rpms and more boost.

i could be totally off base as to this being the cause of the gauge rattle. but does it make sense to anyone else?

Pat

ps- the pressure fluctuations i am referring too would be very small. if the gauge was jumping from 5psi to 10psi and back to 5psi, that sounds like a different problem (surging). but if the needle is sitting there buzzing maybe it is due to small pressure fluctuations.

Hannibal 04-24-2005 05:59 PM

I had that problem with my VDO gauges only after I installed them in my '03. I used 1/4" tubing instead of 1/8" tubing in the '03. I found some 1/8" tubing and the problem went away. I knew right away what the problem was because it didn't do it in the other trucks with the same gauges.

RonP 04-24-2005 07:00 PM

maybe the gauge is bad. the vibration is small. It almost looks as though the needle is 2-3 times its normale size. it isn't jumping 5psi or anything like that.

Just seems wierd. Its smooth down lower and I have checked everything for leaks. I redone the gauge and the boost bolt connection with new ferrels. I tightened all the clamps on the hoses for the turbo stuff.

Thanks guys, looks as though it is somewhat common.