3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Who makes the best injectors????

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will b hooking the truck back up to the scanner an checking rp when i get them back u did a nice job on yours shaking red ill try the same but sure dont know how much could have changed
Old 11-20-2009, 02:11 PM

holy crap, what was all those numbers???
i get more confused the more i read some days.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:14 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Data logger....
Old 11-20-2009, 02:39 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pressure in the rail during normal operation is not always the issue. Most injectors can take the daily grind of 20K and hard runs to 26K without cracking as long as the relief valve is in place. Nozzles can nearly always take more without cracking.

When you dont have a relief valve though, the pressure can go very high. Double the normal value. 20K can become 40K. 25K can go to 50. 30 to 60!!!!!

I replaced 7 cracked injector bodies just this week. Bosch has changed the material ( steel ) they are using to construct the new injectors with. Even the older 03-04 models now are constructed much tougher to combat this cracking issue. Even with the stock configuration trucks. Bosch did not make an expensive material change by accident or out of the goodness of their own hearts. This was done for a reason.

We have begun watching a disturbing trend. We would get injector sets in that had 1 cracked body. We would replace the body with a new one and a few weeks get a call that another one was cracked. Even though the injector was fine a few weeks ago it is now cracked. One truck had 5 cracked injector bodies in 6 months. Each time a different injector would crack. These kinds of things make me think the injectors are slowly becoming fatigued when there is no rail relief valve. They may test good one day and explode a week later.

Honestly, these threads help others understand whats going on here. I warn about pressure every single chance I get. Most of it falls on deaf ears. Most of the failures can be avoided by using a relief valve and keeping pressure adding devices turned off until competition starts.

Every once in a while some need to be reminded that these types of performance parts have no warranty. I and some other shops have always been good about replacing parts at no cost though. Even going beyond what would be considered fair in some cases by replacing parts that were clearly abused.

Each individual can decide what liability they can afford to handle on their own. Pressure relief valves that are removed, blocked off or disabled have no place in a CR truck that goes on the street. Or one can continue to replace cracked injectors and nozzles at their expense.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:07 PM

ok doesnt the relief valve get weeker and weeker every time its poped so instead of popping off at the same point it will get to be less an less killing performance?? idk but thats what i have read
Old 11-20-2009, 03:13 PM

Don M, I would like to express my gratitude to you for all the advice that you take the time out of your extremely busy schedule to offer us. Your posts are always very informative and helpful. I've been reading and implementing your suggestions for a few years now (These CRs have been a learning curve). Most people are not willing to give away such knowledge so freely just wanted to say thanks.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it can weaken. Thats why some companies started making these block offs. Not to mention the things are like 400 bucks from Cummins. Sometimes they fail completely and just hang wide open. )-:

Some companies have a kit to shim the stock valve to a higher pressure. I dont know if it will be safe or not. For sure it would be better than a block off.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:21 PM

Question for ya ,Don
Is the run on you feel when you get off the throttle, the excess pressure bleeding through. Or is that a programing thing?
thanks,doug
Old 11-20-2009, 10:31 PM

sold it do you have a capped rail?
Old 11-21-2009, 07:39 AM

yes an have for a while never had any problems till now
Old 11-21-2009, 12:47 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I never had problems, until I got a problem.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Makes sense, modified injectors will flow more fuel than stock ones, right? So, if you are running the same rail pressure with the modified ones as you were with the stock ones, once you lift throttle, your rail pressure will shoot up much more with the modified ones than they did with the stock ones. That's why you were fine with the stock ones, but your higher flowing aftermarket tips caused your rail pressure to spike much higher when you lifted throttle, since you have a capped rail.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:01 PM

i would have thought it would have been the other way around since the aftermarket ones flow more they shouldnt have as much backed up when you let off idk. i geuss this is why alot of people told me that high horse trucks just arent street friendly for everyday driving
Old 11-21-2009, 07:47 PM

I have not read thread, but if I could afford them I would get all stainless injectors.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 PM

Anyone have the parts #'s for the stainless injectors?

Quick Reply: Who makes the best injectors????