3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

connector tube issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
connector tube issues?

well here is what i got my truck had been blowing white smoke and been poor on power so i pulled the injectors and sent them in to get checked and get bored. well i got them back wednesday and put them that night all white smoke is gone but power is not were it was before, but still better then when it was puffing the white smoke. but after running it the last couple days i noticed the oil level is up and coming out of the overflow. i had this happen before but it was a bad injector these things were just redone. so i am thinking it may be a connector tube but not sure how to tell. when i put the injector in i torqued to 44 inch lbs then the tube cap to 11 ft lbs then the injector to 89 inch lbs then the cap to 33 ft lbs i think that is the correct way i was trying to remember from the last time. so if it is a tube can i torque it tighter to stop any chance of it not sealing good or i there something i am missing. this is my only daily driver so i need to get it to stop putting fuel in the oil so i don't hurt the bearings as soon as possible. any input would be great guys

eric
Old 02-16-2008, 03:38 PM

i just did my injectors so its still fresh in my head, the TQ spec i was given by DDP for the connector tube nut was 37ftlbs.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:40 PM

Did you keep track of the tubes and injectors to make sure they went back into the same spot? Upon installation at the factory, the tip is ever so slightly crushed into the injector and then conforms to that injector. It is possible if number 5 tube and number 3 injector are mated, that it won't make a good seal. I suppose a little more torque may fix that, but you certainly wouldn't want to crack a tube.

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge and experience will pipe up.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by emfc_22
well here is what i got my truck had been blowing white smoke and been poor on power so i pulled the injectors and sent them in to get checked and get bored. well i got them back wednesday and put them that night all white smoke is gone but power is not were it was before, but still better then when it was puffing the white smoke. but after running it the last couple days i noticed the oil level is up and coming out of the overflow. i had this happen before but it was a bad injector these things were just redone. so i am thinking it may be a connector tube but not sure how to tell. when i put the injector in i torqued to 44 inch lbs then the tube cap to 11 ft lbs then the injector to 89 inch lbs then the cap to 33 ft lbs i think that is the correct way i was trying to remember from the last time. so if it is a tube can i torque it tighter to stop any chance of it not sealing good or i there something i am missing. this is my only daily driver so i need to get it to stop putting fuel in the oil so i don't hurt the bearings as soon as possible. any input would be great guys

eric

I torque the connector tube retaining nuts to 37 ft/lbs according to spec. I used my original tubes with my Flux 2's and had no trouble with the seal.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:01 PM

i am going to torque them again when the motor gets worm and see if that helps, it was around 18 degrees out when i put them in, i will up it to 37 though and see if it will help. i had the tubes laid out in order as i did with the rockers so i know they are in the same cylinder but as for the same injector i have no idea since i shipped them out and back i have no idea wich cylinder they were in.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:17 PM

There is a set of newer tubes on e-bay. opening bid $17.00 no bids.
I can give you one from 05 if you have a bad one.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:23 PM

how would you know if one is bad or not, is there anyway to tell wich one might be leaking?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
Did you keep track of the tubes and injectors to make sure they went back into the same spot? Upon installation at the factory, the tip is ever so slightly crushed into the injector and then conforms to that injector. It is possible if number 5 tube and number 3 injector are mated, that it won't make a good seal. I suppose a little more torque may fix that, but you certainly wouldn't want to crack a tube.

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge and experience will pipe up.

is this true?! I didnt see anything about that when I was taking the injectors out (in the directions I was using), and now I am concerned. the only thing is, I sent mine out to Don M. in a box wrapped in bubble wrap, and I am assuming that Don M is going to be stripping them down and mixing them up, so the connector tubes arent going to match up anyway right?

man, I hope I am not in trouble now from mixing up the tubes.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:45 PM

As with anything on these trucks, it is better to not mix cylinder parts.
With that said, I know Don does not send the injectors back labeled individually. He does ask that you send them down labeled so if you have a piston melting or other issues, he can tell you which cylinder you need to look at.
Mixing cross over tubes isn't good, but shouldn't cause a leak. The first thing I do with a motor with diesel in the crank case is open up the top valve covers, but leave the one with the injector harness. Start the truck and look for a mist that might rise off of an injector. That would be a cracked body.
I have seen these things happen shortly after newer injectors were installed, be it DDP tips or F1's that have been looked at under the scope.
The simple fact is: These things crack bodies all the time. Sometimes it just happens shortly after an install.

To think that you have a cracked cross over tube isn't likly. They are very strong. But it is still possible.

Good luck.

J.D.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:46 PM

I wouldn't worry. The directions I used didn't say anything about the tubes having to be in order either. But like you said Don doesn't ship them back specifically numbered. I even sent him mine labeled #1, #2, etc.... I just grabbed a tube, made sure it was clean and installed. Now the rockers are a different story. Those definitley have to go on the same way they came off. I think your problem lies somewhere else. Make sure your torque wrench is calibrated and check everything again.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by -JD-
As with anything on these trucks, it is better to not mix cylinder parts.
With that said, I know Don does not send the injectors back labeled individually. He does ask that you send them down labeled so if you have a piston melting or other issues, he can tell you which cylinder you need to look at.
Mixing cross over tubes isn't good, but shouldn't cause a leak. The first thing I do with a motor with diesel in the crank case is open up the top valve covers, but leave the one with the injector harness. Start the truck and look for a mist that might rise off of an injector. That would be a cracked body.
I have seen these things happen shortly after newer injectors were installed, be it DDP tips or F1's that have been looked at under the scope.
The simple fact is: These things crack bodies all the time. Sometimes it just happens shortly after an install.

To think that you have a cracked cross over tube isn't likly. They are very strong. But it is still possible.

Good luck.

J.D.
Yeah, aren't they tungsten?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:49 PM

i just noticed that i have some white smoke as well under a light load, so im interested to see what is the cause as well.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:52 PM

man, now I am all worried, i thought about it for about 5 seconds and then said to myself "well, its not in the instructions I should be ok" and put them down. I hope don M isnt ****** at me, the guy who delt with me, and gave me all the info to send them didnt tell me to label, so I didnt. once again, thought about it, but stopped just short. so when I get the new injectors, should I keep the valve cover off and start it to make sure there are no leaks?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ian515
man, now I am all worried, i thought about it for about 5 seconds and then said to myself "well, its not in the instructions I should be ok" and put them down. I hope don M isnt ****** at me, the guy who delt with me, and gave me all the info to send them didnt tell me to label, so I didnt. once again, thought about it, but stopped just short. so when I get the new injectors, should I keep the valve cover off and start it to make sure there are no leaks?
No. Just keep an eye on your oil level. Kinda like you should anyways. Just check it when you fill up with fuel. We all know how high Don's quality standards are. Your injectors will be fine, but this is an imperfect world so things happen. Just take your time and make sure everything is done right. 99% of injector issues come from bad installs.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:40 PM

Omaha is right. I engraved numbers onto my injectors. Also they are crush fit. Actually cummins recommends new tubes every time injectors are pulled but if you kept them seperated and loose fit everything together and took it all down together and not torque inj then install tube ect.. you should have been OK>

Quick Reply: connector tube issues?